Author Topic: French Aircraft rigging wire color Question  (Read 1938 times)

Offline RAGIII

French Aircraft rigging wire color Question
« on: March 06, 2019, 02:42:12 AM »
So I saw a post on FB the other day about French rigging wire. The post basically asked about the French Blue wire available from WNW. There was one answer stating that the wires were indeed blue and a photo of an un- restored Caudron from the Smithsonian was posted as "Proof". My question is, of course, was this common practice or is it just an Expert using one example as proof?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Europapete

Re: French Aircraft rigging wire color Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 01:01:41 AM »
Hi Rich, been pondering this myself. Had a dig through all my french references yesterday but found no written reference to wire colour. I did find some colour photo's of unrestored a/c that showed the wires in natual tone, but were these original? Wires are/were replaced on a regular basis for maintainance, so maybe blue when the a/c was new from the factory but not when wires were replaced?? Will keep digging. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 04:20:36 AM »
Hi Rich, been pondering this myself. Had a dig through all my french references yesterday but found no written reference to wire colour. I did find some colour photo's of unrestored a/c that showed the wires in natual tone, but were these original? Wires are/were replaced on a regular basis for maintainance, so maybe blue when the a/c was new from the factory but not when wires were replaced?? Will keep digging. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks for looking into this Pete. I am surprised Xan or one of the other Modelers from France haven't chimed in.
RAGIII

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 09:19:40 AM »
Your not alone Rick , I have been looking online as well and even on the Aerodrome and have come up as empty handed .
I don't think one photo proves whether All French aircraft had blue rigging wires . But this maybe true for Caudron build aircraft . Also been trying to find the diameter of the rigging wires on N-17 .  CSM calls for 0.1mm for the flying wires but 0.15mm for control surfaces . 0.1mm is hell of alot smaller the 0.15mm .......

Terri
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 11:10:29 PM by Terri »
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Europapete

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 11:04:40 AM »
colour photo's of Georges Guynemer's S7 in Paris shows blue metal fittings but natural wires. Memorial Flight's Spad 13 has blue fittings, natural wires. However, their Sopwith Strutter has a mixture of blue and natual wires. :-\  Le Bourget's N11 and Caudron have blue fittings and natural wires. Regards, Pete in RI

Offline xan

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
As far as I know blue ringing was only in Caudron planes. naturel for nieuports
here you have the chaput plane's autochrome (real color picture)

Xan

"Zwei Armeen, die sich bekämpfen, sind eine grosse Armee, die Selbstmord an sich übt."
Barbusse.
"Une montagne en Allemagne ne peut pas offenser une montagne en France. Ou une rivière ou une forêt ou un champ de blé."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 10:40:25 PM »
Thanks Xan. I went with a steel color on my first Nieuport so I am happy to find out I made the correct decision!  ;D
RAGIII

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
Thanks for bringing this question up Rick,I've been wondering about it for a while too.
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 09:25:58 AM »
I was going to paint them blue , not anymore now . Thanks  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .