Author Topic: 1/16 Hasagawa Sopwith Camel  (Read 5899 times)

Offline FokkerFodder

1/16 Hasagawa Sopwith Camel
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:34:55 AM »
Hi all

I will attempt the 1/16 Hasagawa Camel for this group build in memory of Des.

Given I managed to finish the diorama group build late last year (about 2 years late?) it may be a struggle but I will do my best. I have also never done a build log either, so let’s see how it goes!

To match my skill level and the timeframe, I will be trying to largely keep this to an OBB  - I won’t be reverse engineering this kit although skilled modellers could do wonders with it no doubt.

I will try and rectify some of the more glaring errors however, including the trailing edges which should be metal tubing, not wood. There are also like a billion (shallow) ejector pin marks that will need sanding/filling in as I cannot be sure what will be show or not at this stage.

Picture to follow.

cheers
Matt

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/16 Hasagawa Sopwith Camel
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:16:22 AM »
Awesome entry. Looking forward to your build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 06:40:52 PM »
That will be a large one. Waiting for images of work in progress.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 12:29:30 AM »
Great choice and subject, looking forward to your progress.

Offline Monty

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 01:53:22 AM »
This is a brilliant subject for a long term retirement build! I will be following carefully... I would love to do it someday... Regards, Marc

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:42:19 AM »
Hi - sorry for not posting anything sooner but life keeps getting in the way. I hope this post works as I’m doing on my phone and can barely tell what I’m doing- apologies if the photos don’t work.

So I have shelved my current project (‘somewhere in Palestine’ -  using the nice little ICM Model T’s and Roden RR armoured car) and commenced work on the tribute build for Des.

Here is the boxing – my overall impression is that it’s a solid kit that can be enhanced by various degrees depending on one’s patience and skill level. The maestros will probably reverse engineer most of the kit, but even those with modest skills such as myself can bump this kit up a bit.  [Written a bit after - however, I am picking up quite a few things that are wrong as I keep working on it].
 https://photos.app.goo.gl/nQigCXY3sS7xx9aA9

My main gripe with the kit is the number of ejector pin marks – on my one at least there are literally hundreds that have to be filled in. Indeed, I believe I’m heading towards a 1000 already that need to be filled in, along with seam lines that are hard to remove as the plastic is soft. Given it’s a strip down, I’m working on the assumption that potentially everything could be visible, so doing my best to cover these up, but it’s a slow and rather tedious process.

As an example, here are some of the wing ribs– 11 pin marks on each one and there are 48 of these!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lw7Hakex9JDhfkzv5

The chair could do with a bit of work – the wicker is fine, but the ‘cushion’ is rather strange and there is no padding around the frame of the chair. I’ve had a go with some Greenstuff(which I’ve never used before) but feel the cushion may be a bit thick and I may try to slim it down or make another attempt.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1w2qbTRKjsrD3HUz7

The dashboard is nicely done and seems pretty accurate to me (noting there are a few variations in terms of configurations) – I just added a bit of detail here and there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bbNxbnGCo8YL5yWS8

The aluminium pieces come plated – to me it looks a bit toy-like, so I decided to strip it off with oven cleaner – note for file – use gloves and take more care next time; this stuff is corrosive on the skin. Clearly I haven’t cleaned a lot of ovens in my life.

Anyhow, back to filler and sanding – I’ll do an undercoat and no doubt there will be a second round to this process…..

cheers
Matt

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:27 AM »
Love how your instrument panel turned out  :) Very nice wood tones ..

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 03:00:21 PM »
 Matt,
Man O man she's looking great. I really am impressed with how well the IP turned out. Looking forward to seeing more.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 03:49:42 PM »
That’s cool Matt!

I’ve got one I’ve started but I’d currenyl on the back burner, but this will be interesting to see how you get on with it..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »
Hi - sorry for the sporadic updates. I have been working away on weekends but don’t seem to have much to show for it as yet. Anyhow the engine is now done - basically obb but added springs to the end of the rocker arms and some spark plug wiring.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WRtWQV3X8msxs3ky5

Struggling to get the photos showing - I seem to be missing a step. Oh well.
Hopefully the next update will be on the wings- these need a lot of work!

Cheers
Matt

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 08:29:56 PM »
Looking great to date! Lovely engine, seat, and control panel!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 11:07:06 PM »
That engine looks great Matt !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 02:25:23 AM »
Lovely engine with extra springs. This is going to be a very large model indeed - and I do not envy you filling all of those pin marks! Cutting and shaping the ribs from wood/plastic would almost be quicker!

Stephen.

Bughunter

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 02:41:55 AM »
What you do with this model is great,
but I do not like to click for every picture and would like to have a readable page with pictures.

Struggling to get the photos showing - I seem to be missing a step.
No, you are doing nothing wrong. Google Photos DO NOT ALLOW external linking of pictures.
It was a official feature of Google Picasa, but this service is no more available for new users and new pictures at all. But at least Google has not deleted a single picture in Picasa (the opposite to Flickr, Photobucket and some other hosting providers) and all old links are still working (I used it a lot in my build reports).
The newer Photos do not support this anymore (for official statement and warning see the help pages) and for me it is clear, that this was the real reason to move from Picasa to Photos. They want to have the users on their pages and not want to be a simple file hoster.

There is a complicated way to do this via Google Drive (but then the pictures are not in Photos, and some browsers, e.g. Apple iPads, are having trouble to see pics embedded that way) or use a different provider, some discussions about this issue can be found here:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?board=12.0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 06:33:06 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words. Frank - thanks for clearing that up - I agree it looks awful so I’ll try one of the other options and repost the pics. Happy modelling! Cheers Matt