Author Topic: Airfix 1/72 Roland C.II: what's wrong with it?  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Seahawk

Airfix 1/72 Roland C.II: what's wrong with it?
« on: February 06, 2019, 07:46:31 PM »
When I last built an Airfix Roland many, many years ago, I thought it was one of the best of the crop of Airfix WWI offerings.  Returning to WWI aviation many years later, I have picked up the vibe that the kit is so bad that it is not mentioned in polite society - or at least serious WWI modellers.  I now have the Wingsock Datafile and at first glance that reputation seems a trifle unfair.  What exactly is wrong with this kit please and is it easily rectifiable?

Offline ermeio

Re: Airfix 1/72 Roland C.II: what's wrong with it?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 11:33:20 PM »
it is a good base for a Roland C.II but you will have to rework the wings (they tend to droop too much and the extremities need some reshaping) thin down the tail control surfaces and add details to the interior of the fuselage and so on.
Nothing impossible, but it will demand some care.

Offline Seahawk

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 12:24:56 AM »
Thank you.  That all sounds quite doable.  Might get one once I've worn down the backlog a little.

Offline Seahawk

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 04:08:05 AM »
Have now tracked down an article by Ray Rimell (June 1974 Scale Models) on detailing this kit.  He tackles all 3 points you raise.  A reader letter in the succeeding month's magazine points out that the wing shape in the area of both wing roots needs tackling.  Nothing too scary in any of it.