Author Topic: Nieuport overwing Lewis MG control cable - need help  (Read 1591 times)

Offline gbrivio

Nieuport overwing Lewis MG control cable - need help
« on: February 02, 2019, 07:27:57 PM »
Hallo everybody, I have a question to the Nieuport experts: I'm building the CSM Ni17 early and the building notice requests to remove the trigger lever from the control stick, being related to late type. In the pictures of Nieuports equipped with overwing Lewis gun I notice the Bowden cable ending in the cockpit, but I have no idea about the terminal control as none of the pictures or drawings I have seen shows this control (lever, button?), can enyone help me?
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Edgar

Re: Nieuport overwing Lewis MG control cable - need help
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 08:36:11 PM »
Greetings Giuseppe
From what I can tell

Te trigger was used with Vickers MG, that is for sure and visible in the part catalog that has this feature with Vickers

For none vickers MG it is clear that cables were used to trigger the Lewis MG, although  it is hard to find the proper photo that shows how it was done

Early 17 cockpit

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
Thank you Edgar, I know it's a troublesome quest. I even suspected initially they simply locked one end on a structural tube and pull the whole cable to operate the gun, just guess. But this can also be my excessive need of knowing when documentation is lacking...
Btw, again congratulations on your CSM Nieuports: they really are fantastic!
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Edgar

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:02:41 PM »
thank you)
I totally agreen not that much info we have
there is a replica of SE5 and the lewis was used there as welln it could be something similar
Who knows maybe we still need that same vickers trigger with Lewis

Offline krow113

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 06:30:24 AM »
I'd agree  with the pulling of the cable to fire. At speed , wearing heavy gloves , in combat , maneuvering all at the same time , you don't wanna be looking for a switch or handle.