Author Topic: COMPLETED: The B von.  (Read 14332 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: The B von.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
Continuing to look awesome. I am looking forward to the Epaulettes, something I have been puzzling over on several MvR figures! I will have to find the Aerodrome thread  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline krow113

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2019, 02:15:15 AM »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2019, 05:15:29 AM »
Thanks Rick.
http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71116

Thanks for the Link! A quick look tells me I will need to spend a bit of time looking and studying this one!
RAGIII

Offline Borsos

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 05:31:30 AM »
I browsed through the Aerodrome discussion.
If I may add my knowledge to the „Feldgrau“ issue: Forget all these „Feldgrau is exactly this or that shade“ hints. Thats pure nonsense.
The Bavarian Army Museum in Ingolstadt has one of the largest collections of original German WWI uniforms in the world. They also have sealed examples of uniform patterns that were issued to the uniform factories which are especially interesting as they were never exposed to any wear and tear but sealed in the magazine for 100 years. I spend countless hours in this museum and browsing their publications respectively. The most important thing I learned: No uniform equals another, almost all uniforms differ in shade. They range from a true light grey without much, if any, green, to a greenish grey. The same is true with the field grey or stone grey trousers. Every German WWI uniform I have seen was much less green than the German WWII uniform, doesnt matter if M1907, M1910 or Feldbluse M15 is mentioned. Many accounts of frontline soldiers tell how much the uniforms faded and that old „Frontschweine“ could be determined from the young, unexperienced Ersatz by their almost earth brown faded uniforms. Richthofen of course was no trench soldier, but especially officers frequently had their uniforms made by private tailor‘s shops, they used whatever grey fabric they had on hand.
Yes, there were some differences regarding certain grey or green shades, Jägers had „forstgrüne“ (Forest green) uniforms, which had in fact a much more green shade (not Bavarian Jägers by the way, they wore Field grey uniforms). But besides of that every shade between green grey and light grey is fine for German WWI uniforms, I personally find most premixed purchaseable „feldgau“ colors too dark and too green. Bearing the scale effect in mind, the colors labeled „RLM02“ (I know, a WW2 shade... :) ) fit WWI field grey quite well.
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline krow113

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2019, 07:04:53 AM »
Andreas; Thanks very much for your input regarding the uniform color discussion.
 I may as well asked about PC 10!
 Your input goes into the work here and the discussion on The Aerodrome forum , where there is a lot of info.
My take on The Baron and his attire would be tempered with the knowledge of status and privilege of the time in history we are discussing.

" Off the rack"???!!
Mein Gott you must be kidding!

There is no way an aristcrat of The Barons standing would have anything other than custom tailored garments and especially uniforms. I think this is part of the reason there is so much difference and discussion of this nature. Bearing that in mind and working with the examples given in the ongoing discussion , now here , as well as the Aerodrome I came up with a procedure and coloring that I'm happy with so far. The model is only half done and there will be fine adjustments to the final uniform color.

My respect for Mr Delatorre , and his modelling and the forum he created is unquestionable , and someone lurking on a forum looking for ways to be offended will never abridge that or be able to effectively stain or disprove that respect.

Having said that , the research and effort here is meant to be worthy of the stated respect , and hopefully come as near as possible to the level of creation Mr. Delatorre reached.

Gratiutuos pic as the oils are being given ample time to dry prior to The Big Finish.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2019, 07:14:38 AM »
The way you have blended and shaded the tunic and pants, and the Leathery sheen of the coat is absolutely beautiful! Well Done to date!!
RAGIII

Offline krow113

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2019, 02:10:44 PM »
RIII - Thank you .

...and looking to the finish , I'll try to get  a little done each day.
 We are into the minute details now. The red piping , the medals...
 Starting with the piping I laid on some thin lines of a greenish grey enamel. This has created a path for the red and a backing for the color.
I also laid in some green filter, barely discernable , the only way I could tell was to reflect light off the wet application. This will be built up to suit.
The boots got some work as well with a few diff treatments:

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
Highly realistic look. And your attention to tiniest detail rally pays off.Looking forward with great expectations.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2019, 08:47:33 PM »
Looking fantastic. I like the outlining of the piping, nice technique and worth trying in the future. The boots are excellent!!
RAGIII

Offline krow113

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2019, 01:42:51 AM »
Giuseppe & RIII Thank you.
 A lovely rainy day here , perfect for modelling , gonna drag The Baron out and assess the work.

Pics to follow.....

Attention to detail dictates...
Lenses for the goggles on the alt head. Tracing paper pressed to the head for an impression begins the work:

Clear vinyl will work for this with some more cut to represent the frames.
Also a base check. I'll be doing some meagre groundwork and detailing the base a littlemore:
Looks a little right oriented , prolly cause I got him in the wrong hole.
Nailed it in three tries;

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:05:48 AM by krow113 »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
Nice work Steve  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline krow113

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
Thank you ,Terri.
 Pressing forward with some of the other work.
The base got masked:

Mud applied:

Plastic wrapped and The Baron placed:

Crashing into the details and paring them off one by one.

Fresh mud base:

Prelude to the tunic redstriping:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:11:28 PM by krow113 »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2019, 09:35:56 PM »
All is looking great but the piping on the hat is amazing! Well done !
RAGIII

Offline krow113

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2019, 01:09:16 AM »
Thanks RIII
 The piping needs more work to tone it into a not so bright red.
 The Baron now fits his base a lot better:

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2019, 10:41:16 AM »
What did you use for the mud ?

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .