Author Topic: ICM Ford Model T  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Edo

ICM Ford Model T
« on: January 26, 2019, 06:23:46 PM »
Hallo friends!
In waiting for the new group build to start, I want to share with you some pictures of my last build.
It is a Ford Model T in 1:35 scale from ICM.
I find it is a very well made model, the plastic is a bit soft in my opinion, so care must be taken or cutting and sanding could end up 'eating' too much plastic, but all in all it is very well made and engineerd. Detail si good too so a great fun to build.

My idea is to make a small vignette depicting an abandoned and rusty old civil car, maybe in rural US or so....so my starting point was this kit:

The build is stight forward, so not particularely interesting to watch, I detailed the engine a bit adding an horn and a magneto (I think).
Then I rebuild the cab with wood but it si only dry fitted in the picture.

Please, have a look: I hope you'll like it!
ciao
Edo

Offline ermeio

Re: ICM Ford Model T
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:47:31 PM »
Excellent work, Edo
Nico and interesting subject
Perfect rendition

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:43:37 PM »
I love the Ford-T, so my heart breaks to see one in such sad conditions... but that aside it’s a wonderfully made model and will be for sure the centre of a great vignette. I am keen on seeing it!
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 10:48:34 PM »
Great tart Edo, I am sure this will be another of your beauties.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 11:04:59 PM »
Outstanding weathering and rust Edo, that looks as real as it can be. The weathered wood components add even more to the effect, this is really nice modelling! 8) 8) 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 05:08:17 AM »
When I saw the close up of the rust I thought that it was real! That is a superb model and similar to Manni's current W29 build in that it represents a derilict machine. This will be a model to look out for.

Stephen.

Offline Edo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 04:43:21 PM »
thank you friends! your comments are more than welcome!  ;D

Lance, Setphen actually the rust is real!
I use a method I learned from another modeller some time ago. You take a bit of iron wool and put it in a jar with some water. In time (couple of days) it will rust and it will crumble to dust, then you can harvest it and store and use as pigment. The more you let it rust in water and air the darker the rust will become (I have 2 tones, lighter and darker). To fix it I touch it with a paintbrush soaked in hair spry. I like the result as the rust is coarse and gives a nice texture to the model!

ciao
edo

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 05:27:47 PM »
Gorgeous, extreme weathering. This is a great work, with a large scratchbuilding component and will be the very point of interest in any vignette. Nice rust generation trick, thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »
Great model ,Edo! Exact what I like. The rust and debris looks outstanding.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 08:09:32 PM »
Absolutely amazing work!

Not a criticism, just a comment - you mention t the beginning that you added a magneto.... Model T's don't have a magneto in the conventional sense. The ignition system works off trembler coils, whoch are in a wooden box on the bulkhead inside the car, and a sort of magneto as part of the flywheel

Offline Edo

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »
hey, Tony, thank you!
I actually don’t know much about T engine, but looking at many pictures online i found a cylinder - like thing on te left of the engine and replicatet it at my best.... maybe you know what actually is?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Fordsidevalve.jpg/280px-Fordsidevalve.jpg
ciao
edo

Offline Edo

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 11:49:05 PM »
Hi all!
it has been a while, but i struggled with MIG clear water acrilyc medium I wanted to try on a puddle beside the car... in the end I decided to give up and switched to 2 part epoxy resin which seems so much better... I'll show some picture soon,but in the meanwhile here is the finished Model T... I hope you'll loke it!

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 05:24:31 PM »
Very nice done, Edo.
I don't know why, but when I look at the Ford it makes me smile.
It looks like as if every moment a hundred years old farm lady comes into the barn and trys to start it, complaining all the time about her lazy husband, (died 25 years ago) who doesn't maintenance the new car so well.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Edo

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 07:50:33 PM »
ahahaha! Menni, you are right! I also think the same... actually I was inspired by my chidhood memory of this:

but now I can post some pictures of the finished model!
I am happy with the result, and also my poodle tourned out well... being the first time I try some water effect...
It was fun, the kit itself is really good but the experiment with resin water make me want to experiment more... so I bought the new Eduard Handriot hydroplane... going to copy someone  ;) so stay tuned....

here the pics: I hope you'll like them...

Offline Borsos

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »
Very nice and romantic! I really love the whole scene and the Ford in particular.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.