Author Topic: Halberstadt Cl-II (Early) WNW  (Read 3100 times)

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

Halberstadt Cl-II (Early) WNW
« on: January 09, 2019, 02:57:32 PM »
All,
My lovely wife got me this great WNW kit for Christmas.  It's incredible...as have all of the WNW been...and I started on some sub assemblies.  First, here is the box and contents!

I decided to start on the rear gunner's position.  The detail is fine, but you do need to carefully remove mold seams along the parts to make them sparkle.  The drum is three parts: front and back and the ammo belt.  Looks cool.  I only drilled out the telescopic site ends.

The magazine was kind of hard to put on as the belt feed didn't fit too well into the gun port and there is no real positive attachment for the actual mag to the gun body.  But, it fiddled in the end and after some careful painting, washing and dry brushing with sanded-off bits of a silver pencil, here is the result complete with the gunner's cockpit ring. It all rotates and moves beautifully, by the way!

Great start and it's one I've wanted for a long time.  Hard to believe a state of the art plastic kit of this cool machine is here.    It will look great next to the Bristfit!  I also just found a plan source for the old stick and tissue Halberstadt from the ol' Guillow's line.  I think I'll make it in tandem with this plastic version.

Cheers and thanks for looking,
Dan

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Halberstadt Cl-II (Early) WNW
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »
Which scheme are you doing, Dan?  My wife got me the same kit for Christmas and I plan on starting it as soon as I finish the Nieuports, so we'll be doing a mini group build.  Looking forward to following yours and building mine.  Great start on the MG, by the way!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 04:21:21 PM »
Very nice start. I'm looking forward to see the next steps and the finished model.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 05:42:51 PM »
Very nice Dan,

I’ve got one in the post  :)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 06:00:33 PM »
Very fine start! I will be watching with great interest, as I have one of these new kits in my stash already (duellists).

Speaking of the mold seams, don't you have an impression that the WNW quality deteriorated slightly in this aspect? My feeling is that there is much more to remove from the kit elements in these new Halberstadt kits.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 10:41:12 PM »
Great start Dan, looking forward to your progress.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 04:13:11 AM »
Thanks for all the great responses, folks!  I really am looking forward to this kit and a fun painting and assembly session.  Taking a small break from the resin Gotha though the worst on that on is over!

Bud: I really like the last scheme with, I think it says, "Dora" on the fuselage?  I like the striped tails too.  Since my wife gave this one to me, I'm going to change the name to "Hilde" and since it won't be "the" historical plane on the plans, my tails will be white and blue stripes.  Finally, I really like the look of lozenge so I may not dull it down as stated or just pretend my machine represents the period just before things were washed over. 

We'll see!

Prze:  Quality...The last WNW I built was the Dolphin and it fit really well except for a tiny cockpit issue but I don't remember taking off lots of molding.  Nor do I remember doing that on the Pfalz or Snipe.  I guess I'll just need to get some more WNW and test out this theory!   ;D

Thanks for looking and commenting...Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 11:21:30 PM »
as the others said you are off to a great start, The machine gun and mount look fantastic
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 01:32:16 AM »
Very nice Start on what I think is one of the best looking Aircraft of WWI.
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 05:49:19 AM »
Nice work so far!

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 05:17:14 PM »
Nice start, weaponry is always crucial with tiny details and full visibility and this is really well done. Looking forward to next steps.
Ciao
Giuseppe

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 03:57:01 PM »
All,
A bit more done.  All the lozenge, my blue/white stab and the other machine gun as well as some cross decals started.  I'm pleased with it so far but need to repaint the rudder and fin as it looks too grey,  Not sure how that happened!

More soon and thanks for looking!
Dan

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 11:40:47 PM »
Your lozenge and Spandaua look excellent!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 12:18:04 AM »
Nice Progress on the armament and flying surfaces. what is your opinion regarding the Tarnstoff decals Computer with Aviattic ones?
Best regards
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:47:01 AM »
Hi Borsos...

I had a little trouble with bubbles on these decals but nothing a little setting solution couldn't fix.  They are very large expanses so I'm amazed they went on as well as they did.  Everything lines up really well too like rib tapes over the ribs, cut outs for struts and aileron hinges etc.

They may be a little too bright and "solid" as they do not appear to look like fabric.  I have never used the other decals you mentioned but from what I've seen on other posts, their texture, at least, is superior to those in this kit. 

Although I'm not sure if you'd see the "weave" in this scale anyway.  So I'm pleased with what was supplied in the kit...looks cool to me and will look even better under some clear coats with some weathering.

Your mileage may vary!  ;)

Dan