Author Topic: 1/48 Friedrichshafen FF-33L floatplane  (Read 1618 times)

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
1/48 Friedrichshafen FF-33L floatplane
« on: December 16, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
Lukgraph just released a set of resin versions for this beautifull floatplane in German and Polish colours.
Not sure how expensive, but not cheap, Lukgraph never is. But quality is outstanding, includes full engine, beaching trolleys and photo-etch detail, wire reinforced stuts and wings.

https://www.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=30780&mode=thread&order=0

Offline Berman

Re: 1/48 Friedrichshafen FF-33L floatplane
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:07:17 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong but I think this uses ex-Ardpol molds. Nicely made parts and subject.

Offline hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 02:37:28 AM »
could be, I have the Ardpol in my stash and the parts breakdown looks to be similar, but then again that would be the most logical breakdown anyway...
quality seems to be a little better as my parts have a little flash around most parts, but they could just be cleaned up items in the pictures shown.

If i am not mistaken, the Ardpol build into a very fine model, just never got around to do it.... If it is the Ardpol version, it is a stange move from Lukgraph, as the Ardpol kit is still available (at least through the Karaya site it is)

Hidde

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:04:47 AM »
Definitely the Ardpol kit.  However, the Ardpol website is defunct and, although Karaya still have them in stock, Lukgraph now have the molds.  I believe Karaya still has some in stock because they are selling them at $70.83 and they are resin.  I'm afraid too many modelers are afraid of resin and the high price keeps others away.  I hope Lukgraph does well with these re-pops.  I personally love resin kits and look forward to more from them.  I hope they acquire the the Karaya Martinsyde Elephant and release that one as well.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline jeff shreve

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 04:35:29 AM »
Is the L variant that different from the E?  The Techmod is still available for a bit more than 1/2 price and looks like a nice kit. Also a Polish version available.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Techmod-1-48-Friedrichshafen-FF-33E-Flying-Boat-41101/332602900103?hash=item4d70ad7e87:g:LzcAAOSwLdBaRQQ7:rk:2:pf:0

Offline krow113

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 05:04:32 AM »
Not being scared of resin , it looks like a decent kit.
Especially the metal pins cast into the wing ends.

Offline Berman

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:40:27 PM »
The E version was larger than the L model in both length and wingspan The L version was more successful in handling characteristics and performance. The Ardpol/Lukgraph kit is better detailed and more accurate that the Techmod FF 33E. Besides the wire reinforced resin there is now a photoetch fret plus a color instruction manual.
  I received an email from Lukasz. He said that he will possibly produce a resin conversion set for the FF 33L kit to modify it to an experimental FF 33L plane marine number 1578. This aircraft had a large rectangular rudder with no vertical fin. The flat side cowling was changed to a bulging rounded curve with the exhaust exiting horizontal on the starboard side. Lukasz said he would produce this conversion set if there was enough popular demand. If you would like to see the conversion set become reality, send an email to [email protected]
  You can see a photo of the 1578 aircraft on page 121 in German Aircraft of the First World War by Gray and Thetford.