Author Topic: Wingnuts 1/32 Albatros B.II  (Read 5280 times)

Offline Pgtaylorart

Re: Wingnuts 1/32 Albatros B.II
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 05:52:02 AM »
Question about wood decals in B.II kit

There are extremely fine recessed nail details on the fuselage. Do you think they will disappear after the wood decals are applied, or will they still be visible after setting solution is applied? Should I use a riveting tool to rescribe them? Or forego the decals and paint the plywood with the usual oil paint technique so as not to lose the nails?

I notice that on the finished model on the WnW site that the nails seem to have mostly been covered over. This is a shame because the nails add a lot to the look of the fuselage.

Thanks,
George

Offline UFAG

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2015, 06:20:32 AM »
I have this kit on my radar..!! Looking forward to your build..!!

Offline UFAG

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »
BTW, amazing that you gents are building different projects at the same time, I have a hard time to focus on one..!!

Offline IvotB

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2015, 08:19:05 AM »
George,

It can be expected that the recessed nail details will be less visible after wood decals have been applied. It will also be the case when applying sufficient set and sol, because the texture will be different than when looking at the flat plastic surface. But why don't you try a wash on the decals or tip all the recessed nail details with a fine marker. I suppose that would enhance the visibility and I think it will improve the total impression of the fuselage. Somebody should be the first to try ;)

regards,
Ivo

By the way: I ordered the Windsock B.II publication this evening in preparation of the LVA B.II with numbers LA-31 or LA 39 former german registrations 78/14 and 610/15

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2015, 08:44:46 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Ivo. I'll do some experimenting.

George

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2015, 08:52:47 AM »
Hi George!!!

I can't wait for you to start on this bird!!! I can't wait to put my hands on one of these myself neither!!! :D I like the idea of the decals but in far future when I eventually get one on my workbench I will almost certainly be using oils ;) 

Cheerio
Lukas

"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline FarEast

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 12:00:33 PM »
Question about wood decals in B.II kit

There are extremely fine recessed nail details on the fuselage. Do you think they will disappear after the wood decals are applied, or will they still be visible after setting solution is applied? Should I use a riveting tool to rescribe them? Or forego the decals and paint the plywood with the usual oil paint technique so as not to lose the nails?

I notice that on the finished model on the WnW site that the nails seem to have mostly been covered over. This is a shame because the nails add a lot to the look of the fuselage.

Thanks,
George

Use a hair drier to get them to shrink wrap to the fuselage they will get drawn in to the nail details.