Author Topic: 1/72 Meikraft Albatros C. III  (Read 653 times)

Offline Rick_H

1/72 Meikraft Albatros C. III
« on: May 29, 2024, 08:20:39 AM »
I guess there's nothing like a worthy cause to inspire a body to take on a difficult project.  I look at the section of the stash containing VeeDay, Meikraft and Merlin kits and I realize they're not going to build themselves.  When the Albatros C. III came out in the mid-1980s (I think), I was so very, very excited.  And now, even though there are a couple of better kits available, I still remember that I put off work on the Meikraft kits "until my skills improved sufficiently". 

So now I will begin work on the Albatros.  I haven't figured out what colors to use, especially the Datafile said it was in production so long that it had many different color schemes.

After a day or so, I have gotten the big parts cleaned up of the huge sprue gates and numerous ejection pins.  I hope I can hols my focus long enough to finish this one.

Rick in Seattle

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/72 Meikraft Albatros C. III
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2024, 09:26:22 AM »
I look forward to seeing your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Davos522

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2024, 10:30:05 AM »
Be still my heart, two Albatros two-seaters in this group build? As a huge fan of the Greater Albatri I'll be following with keen interest.

Dutch

Offline enathan

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2024, 10:51:27 AM »
Good luck Rick! I saw some photos of the Meikraft kit and I can appreciate what you're in for, looks like it needs  a  l o t  of cleaning  ;)

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2024, 04:41:57 PM »
Never seen a Meikraft kit apart from in the old Windsock adverts (although I do seem to have acquired a few sets of their Pfalz decals so if anybody is after some let me know)  ;)

Great to see another 'simple' kit being resurrected and I look forward to following

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2024, 06:20:51 PM »
Interesting choice, a worthy project and best of luck!

I look at the section of the stash containing VeeDay, Meikraft and Merlin kits and I realize they're not going to build themselves.
At this point, most people would say ".....and neither am I" ;D

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2024, 02:36:50 PM »
Never seen a Meikraft kit apart from in the old Windsock adverts (although I do seem to have acquired a few sets of their Pfalz decals
Paul
I think those expanded sets of Pfalz decals are wonderful and I truly hope that when I get around to building a Pfalz (Meikraft or otherwise), they work as well as they look.

Back to the Albatros kit, the instructions are polite enough to mention the required dihedral, but the one-piece upper wing is molded flat.  So I'm planning to use brass rod to connect the lower wing halves to the fuselage, and use a jig to set it.  Somehow.  Then saw through the lower sides of the spar in the upper wing and make it match the lower wing.  Somehow.

And the process of cleaning up the casting continues.

Rick in Seattle