Author Topic: Still plodding along- nearly finished  (Read 11026 times)

Offline Dal Gavan

Re: Still plodding along- nearly finished
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
G'day, Gents.

Keith, any extra work caused was due to my own fumbling fingers.  Thanks Tony, it's better than I hoped for my first "bidcage", but still a long way from where I want to be.  I suppose I'll have to keep practicing.   ;D   

As the photo's below show, I still have a fair way to go before I can claim to have a handle on rigging.  This is attempt No 4, and despite some saggy wires it's still the best I've managed.  However, I tried something different when doing the internal bracing on my SPAD XIII.  I used soft plastic microtube (0.4mm OD, 0.2mm ID) from MFH.  You can see the range here: http://www.bnamodelworld.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&inc_subcat=1&search_in_description=0&keyword=tube&page=2

In the first photo you can see the tubing used to form the eyelet.  What I really liked is that the lines are easily tensioned.  One of the big problems I had with twisting the line, as Keith does, was getting consistent tension.  I'm tempted to redo the rigging again, using this technique, and this time I'll wait until all the lines are done before using some heat for the final tightening.  That's one mistake I made on the previous attempts- I heated each line but, as I did more, the first ones sagged.

I've really enjoyed this build, mistakes and all, as I've learned quite a lot.  A few little details to do, perhaps re-rig it using the microtube, and I'll stop before I stuff up all my work.  I'll keep working on the SPAD, though I'll wait until I have more rigging experience and will take things slowly.  I've got the J.1 ready to go next and two weeks to go before retiring, so I shouldn't take as long to get this one finished. 

Cheers.

Dal

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2012, 11:43:43 PM »
Looks good from here. Sharp scheme!!

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »
You're plodding along quite nicely Dal, I like the scheme you used, very eye catching and everything else looks fine from where i'm sitting.

Thanks for putting me on to the small plastic tube, I have been trying to source some locally for a while now.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2012, 07:01:01 AM »
That is looking lovely, Dal -

I Look forward to seeing the end the end result, mate.

regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Von Schlepp

« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
Hey Dal!
Looks Great!

-Roger "The Master Scrounger" Nilson

Offline mgunns

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:58 PM »
Hello Dal:

I have to echo the sentiment expressed here.  I think you did an outstanding job on it.  Nice colorful scheme.  Thanks for sharing your work and references.

Best
Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline Adam

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2012, 11:28:33 PM »
Hey Dal.

It looks great, specially painting scheme.

Adam.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2012, 03:13:08 PM »
very nice stuff dal. did you ever receive the resin control panel i sent you a couple weeks ago?

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »
She's a beauty Dal - great colours!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
G'day, Gents.

Thanks for the kind words.  My lady can take credit for the colour scheme- I was looking at doing Müller's, but I wasn't going to discourage her interest.

Scott, not yet.  But the mail can be slow, sometimes.  I'll let you know when it arrives, mate.

Dal.