Author Topic: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'  (Read 36491 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
  Chris,
Let me know if you want some SE.5 drawings and such my old friend. From what I can tell the conversion is very doable. "Schweinhund" looks awesome in red.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline gcn

It does indeed look an awesome build. I certainly would be interested in a conversion as I wouldn't fancy the battles Chris has had with this kit.

I have to say he's done a cracking job.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Roden's 1/32 S.E.5a (Wollseley Viper) - Grinnell-Milne's 'Schweinhund'
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2012, 04:59:22 AM »
Thanks for the info on Mr. Color. I've never been able to locate it here but will be visiting a different shop tomorrow; hopefully I'll spot some.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2012, 08:31:45 AM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. I appreciate your interest and support during this project. I've added all of the last minute detail parts along with the propeller and spinner. As the final step, I gave the model a coat of Satin Clear, and she's done. All that's left to be done is to move her over to the 'Completed Models' board.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:05 AM »
First rate build, Mr. ex-OPP! If nothing else, I've learned from this thread to forego Roden kits and keep zeroed in on the Wingnut offerings. Two or three more to come, and I should be set for the next few years. Super work, Chris!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2012, 01:03:23 PM »
First rate build, Mr. ex-OPP! If nothing else, I've learned from this thread to forego Roden kits and keep zeroed in on the Wingnut offerings. Two or three more to come, and I should be set for the next few years. Super work, Chris!  8)

Trackpad,
   I agree that Roden Kits can be a challenge however they do a number of things well: (my opinion only)
    - Subject matter is very good; for eg. their Alb DIII. recent Nieuport  releases, Tripehound and SSW DIII are all unique at this point. I've only built the Alb. DIII and It's a pretty good kit, the rest seem to Review from average to "pretty darn good".
    - some things are actually done better, albeit marginally, then their big competitor,WNW. Getting "into the weeds" I believe they did a better job on the flight control column/joystick on their Albatros DIII then the WNW DV/DVa kits as just one example.
   Someone remarked earlier on that Roden started the 1:32 trend in WWI Modeling and that is no doubt true. They really put us "on the map".
   You are right on the mark, I too far prefer the WNW Kits, they cannot be beat. On the other hand if WNW doesn't put out a kit of what I'm after, I'll go Roden and pay the price. I guess we get spoiled by such supurb products as WNW; and now I see on another thread that one of their supurb kits is listed OOP!?!! I guess what I'm saying is (IMHO) grab all the WNW boxes you can but don't totally exclude the "Ukranian Connection" , they provide a pretty reasonable product (excluding those horribly deficient decals!)
Cheers,
Lance

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:34 PM »
Chris,
OOps, sorry! Forgot to include in the foregoing, the "Red SE5a" is looking mighty handsome, you've done a marvellous job and not without a lot of setbacks. Unusual scheme, less the optimum Kit, several set backs and you've still come up with a winner.
I'd certainly be real proud to have her in my collection. Nice work!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »
Trackpad,
   I agree that Roden Kits can be a challenge however they do a number of things well: (my opinion only)
    - Subject matter is very good; for eg. their Alb DIII. recent Nieuport  releases, Tripehound and SSW DIII are all unique at this point. I've only built the Alb. DIII and It's a pretty good kit, the rest seem to Review from average to "pretty darn good".
    - some things are actually done better, albeit marginally, then their big competitor,WNW. Getting "into the weeds" I believe they did a better job on the flight control column/joystick on their Albatros DIII then the WNW DV/DVa kits as just one example.
   Someone remarked earlier on that Roden started the 1:32 trend in WWI Modeling and that is no doubt true. They really put us "on the map".
   You are right on the mark, I too far prefer the WNW Kits, they cannot be beat. On the other hand if WNW doesn't put out a kit of what I'm after, I'll go Roden and pay the price. I guess we get spoiled by such supurb products as WNW; and now I see on another thread that one of their supurb kits is listed OOP!?!! I guess what I'm saying is (IMHO) grab all the WNW boxes you can but don't totally exclude the "Ukranian Connection" , they provide a pretty reasonable product (excluding those horribly deficient decals!)
Cheers,
Lance

Hi, Lance,

All good points, and I agree. In my case, for example, I was about to try the Roden Sopwith Triplane, and then WNW came out with the news that they'd be doing one as well. And then they also said that the Snipe was on the way. With the 2.5 metric tonnes of plastic in my loft, I can afford to wait for these to arrive, maybe to be accompanied by the Fokker DVII. I've already done the Roden Fokker Triplane, and so have a bit of an idea about their kits. Don't get me wrong: I'm not knocking the Roden lineup per se. They are all right for what you get. But if I have a choice (and the time to make it) between "pretty good" (not mentioning the decals!) and "Gawdawful good" I'll go with the latter. As you say, "The Ukrainian Connection" does have its niche!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2012, 10:53:46 PM »
Trackpad,   
    We are unanimous in that! I too have the Roden Sopwith Tripe and as soon as WNW announced their version down the road I'm afraid the other version was doomed to the stash pile/spares box for life. If Roden had a 1;32 Camel I swear I'd buy two just so WNW would immediately release one!
Cheers,
Lance :) ;)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2012, 02:55:51 AM »
Chris!  So glad you got her done.  For some reason I've missed every single post after page 1, in spite of having 'Notify' selected.  I'm so sorry.  Could've helped you through the pastel process.  It should go on a matt finish, not gloss.  The pastels go on more evenly and the masking tape won't adhere so aggressivly.  Still, you did a marvelous job and the results are superb.  I look forward to your next build.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
Chris!  So glad you got her done.  For some reason I've missed every single post after page 1, in spite of having 'Notify' selected.  I'm so sorry.  Could've helped you through the pastel process.  It should go on a matt finish, not gloss.  The pastels go on more evenly and the masking tape won't adhere so aggressivly.  Still, you did a marvelous job and the results are superb.  I look forward to your next build.
Cheers,
Bud

Hi Bud,

While the pastel process didn't go as well as I had hoped, the problem sure wasn't with the process itself, but just a result of my negligence. I finally figured out that the paint lifting I experienced was a direct result of forgetting to wash the wings before painting them. I washed all of the other parts and had absolutely no difficulties with paint lifting so it has to be the source of my issues on the wings. I know I can do a better job next time around, and I will!

Cheers,

Chris
Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.