Author Topic: 1/48 Fokker E.IV Conversion  (Read 2512 times)

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
1/48 Fokker E.IV Conversion
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:12 PM »
Hi all - here's another one I decided to start for the group build (not sure if i'll get it finished in time, but we'll see!).

I've wanted to build a 1/48 Fokker E.IV for quite a while, but there are no viable kits out there of this model. So I have decided to convert the Eduard Fokker E.III kit to an E.IV, which is a relatively straight forward conversion. The E.IV had essentially the same wings, tailplane, rudder and other major bits and pieces to the E.III, but with a different fuselage. The fuselage on the E.IV was longer, and obviously the cowling was longer to house the twin-row rotary engine. The E.IV also had the obvious fairing around the cockpit. Thus the fuselage effectively needs to be scratch built.

I have made a start on the extended length fuselage (based off the drawings in Josef Scott's Fokker Eindecker Compendium Vol 2) - so far I have scratch-built the flat sides and tops, and the cockpit fairing. I vacuformed the fairing using a small vacuform machine I recently picked up, over a balsa wood master. This was my first attempt at vacuforming; I think it worked out ok, and the holes still need to be cut, but I have the niggling feeling I might need to re-do it.... I've also made a start at modifying the Eduard cowl to extend it for the longer engine. Here are some pics of it so far:

It's very very early days on this one, and so far it kinda looks like an E.IV... but you have to start somewhere...!

All feedback welcomed.

Cheers,

BC
Owner and Administrator
forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

Re: 1/48 Fokker E.IV Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 10:50:20 PM »
Terrific start Brad. Looks like another of your Masterpieces in the works!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 05:51:46 AM »
Very interesting conversion, looking forward to your build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:39:14 AM »
Very interesting conversion, looking forward to your build.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Second this  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .