Author Topic: Roland C.II Wingnut Wings  (Read 12869 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Roland C.II Wingnut Wings
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2015, 11:08:56 AM »
Outstanding work, Micheal!  Lookin' really SWEET!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2015, 09:47:06 PM »
Hello there,

Magical work!!! Such a joy to see you will be able to see little more from the cockpit with those windows :) There surely is pure beauty that will be admired...Superb cockpit!!! And engine!!!

Lukas

"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2015, 03:30:09 PM »
A small update. Have been preparing the wings, elevators, etc. for initial paint. I decided to pin the ailerons and elevators. I used stainless tube for the ailerons, and twisted wire for the elevators.

Going to Boulder (Colorado) to visit our daughter and see her in a play. More progress this weekend.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Dol

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
Great job !!  :)

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 02:15:46 AM »
Smart decision to pin them, Michael.  Looks great.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 03:04:39 AM »
I didn't take photos, but the twisted wire pins work better if one needs to bend them a bit, for proper adjustments or to change alignment such as for an aileron or elevator positioning.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2015, 03:14:35 AM »
This is a fascinating aircraft and you are doing it justice!  I look forward to more updates.

Chris

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 04:16:47 AM »

Preparing to put detail into the captured Lewis gun and mount for scheme A.
Michael Scott

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 05:46:01 AM »
Your Roland looks great all buttoned up! Looking forward to your detailing of the captured Lewis!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:29 AM »
Very great work with all the details.
Martin

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
Shaping up very nicely indeed  8)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2015, 02:10:01 AM »
Been a while since my last update. Combination of very cold weather and three feet of snow has brought most normal activity to a crawl. Not having a spray booth for my airbrush, I tend to not use it during the cold since opening the window near my bench and turning on the fan guarantees frostbite within about ten minutes.

The plane - its various assemblies - is ready for paint. I may forge ahead and brush paint the entire thing. Not decided, but I have a few days before I can begin anyway.

The last episode was an exercise in what Tom McGuane called "dire clownage". I primered everything with Tamiya fine primer. I then drew the ribs and spars on the undersides of the wings with a fine tip charcoal pencil and blended the lines for a "shadowy" effect. I had some Aviattic German light CDL samples, enough to do both wings, so I trimmed and began to lay these on. The effect was, I think, very nice – subtle linen appearance with the dark lines visible through the decals. Aviattic decals are very good for enhancing effects like this.

However, I had two issues: the decals would not stay completely bonded to the surface. Since I had previously used Aviattic Fokker loz on my group build kit and did not have this problem, I am convinced it was due to my insufficient preparation of the wing surfaces. They were not as smooth nor glossy as they should have been. To be clear, this was not an issue with Aviattic decals, but with this modeler's failure to use them correctly. Some day I will learn to RTFM and follow what is in there.

The second issue was that I didn't have enough German clear CDL to finish the job. One of my sample CDL squares was almost clear, not light gray. Of the five sample sheets I have, this was the only piece that didn't turn out as expected. Remember, it was a sample, provided by Richard for testing. I'm certain the production sheets will be as outstanding as the rest of the decals on my sample sheet, and the Fokker lozenge were.

So, given that, I stripped the decals and the wings are now ready for light coats of paint so that the ribs and spars will peek through.

I put this forward as a learning experience, which all of my modeling builds have been for me. I struggle to meet my initial expectations of producing a flawless and jaw-dropping build. A grail never to be achieved, but I'm finding the fun is in the trying.

I still plan to use Aviattic German CDL on my forthcoming Eindecker E-I. That should be quite an improvement over my airbrushing skills.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 02:16:13 AM by eindecker »
Michael Scott

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2015, 03:49:30 AM »
Super updates, Michael.  I wasn't much of a fan of the C.II, but you have
succeeded in changing my mind. ::) ;D  Oh well another one on the "want"
list. ;D  Great job on the Roland.  I look forward to the next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:56:14 AM by Ernie Parsons »
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2015, 03:54:05 AM »

I put this forward as a learning experience, which all of my modeling builds have been for me. I struggle to meet my initial expectations of producing a flawless and jaw-dropping build. A grail never to be achieved, but I'm finding the fun is in the trying.

My philosophy to the letter, Michael.  I've yet to be disappointed.  Spring's just around the corner, buddy.  Looking forward to the continuation of this project.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 02:31:12 PM »
Main painting finished. Have some bumps, bits and blobs to fix, but over all not too bad. The wings and stabilizers are not glued — am treating them as subassemblies. After some fix up, I plan to gloss coat for decals, weather everything, install the Lewis and Spandau, landing gear and prop. Going slowly, but good to be back into it.

Michael Scott