Author Topic: Wingnuts releases for 2013 ??  (Read 16163 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: Wingnuts releases for 2013 ??
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Thank you for your valued support Des, which is greatly appreciated.

I am concerned at suggestions from some people that my post re Wingnut's refusal to discuss 2013 releases and its lack of active support of this Forum is all just based on personal assumptions.

The fact is I have been a loyal customer of Wingnuts since the company's beginnings and as a writer have written several feature articles to promote the firm- most notably the big feature on HyperScale in 2010 and the Q & A feature which ran on this Forum last year and also on HyperScale. I have had dealings- both hobby and professional - for several years with Wingnuts as I believe the kits they are producing are the best in the world and deserve support.

That said I felt it would be timely to update my 2012 Q&A article to reflect what's happening this year. It's called "news" people, not just personal curiosity. Wingnuts- as is its right- declined to assist in updating the article. It obviously has its reasons.

Several people seem to take umbrage at my suggestion Wingnuts does not actively support this Forum. By "actively support" I mean contributes in as meaningful way either through posting news items, replying to posts re Wingnut subjects or providing review samples of its products.

The fact is, and this is fact, not supposition, Wingnuts provides review samples of its kits and decals to several other hobby websites and model magazines. The company has stated to me it will not supply such items to Des' Forum. Nor, of course, is it required to do so.  Wingnuts is logged on to Des' Forum every day but has never posted an item or replied to a post.

So, given those facts, I think it's reasonable to say Wingnuts does not actively support this Forum. It has provided review samples of its new kits and decals to other hobby forums but not this one.

And just to ram the point home gentlemen- the big Q & A with Wingnuts which appeared on this Forum last year only happened because I agreed to their condition that the article also be supplied to another hobby forum where they want to raise their profile.

Wingnuts enjoys enormous free publicity on this Forum and benefits greatly from the ongoing support and praise of the members. The company's kits are the best in the world, in my view, but the business behind the plastic does not regard this Forum as one of the hobby forums it wishes to support in any practical way.

I would love to be proved wrong.

David Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia   

« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 02:21:58 PM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jim52

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Des & David,
                  Thank you both for making things clearer. Although, it
does seem to raise a whole other set of questions.

Jim

Dekenba

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 06:36:56 PM »
I happen to think that NOT being "supported" by WNW is a good thing for this forum - Des has built a superb WW1 modelling forum, the best on the web, and I'm more than happy for him to keep driving it forward. Being independent means we can voice our opinions exactly as we wish and I'm not sure we are missing out on much by not being on WNW's "list".

I re-read Peter Jacksons interview from a few years back in Windsock magazine. What struck me was the answer to the "What models will you launch in future?" question. It went something like "We don't have to worry about making a profit, so we'll do whatever we fancy".

Although they may have 50 models in varying stages of development, I believe that they genuinely don't know the order in which they will be released - at least,, not until they are very close to individual model releases. 

They seem to concentrate resources on development, with multiple products being developed simultaneously. Sales and marketing - which would drive any "normal" company - iare seen as the consequence's of their work and happens only when they are absolutely happy and not when financially necessary.

For this reason they don't engage with their customers quite as much as, say, Roden. Their customer service once you buy is outstanding - the very best in my opinion - but their rather unique business model means they are really not that bothered what the market - us lot - thinks.

Offline Hannover

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 06:59:31 PM »
I happen to think that NOT being "supported" by WNW is a good thing for this forum - Des has built a superb WW1 modelling forum, the best on the web, and I'm more than happy for him to keep driving it forward. Being independent means we can voice our opinions exactly as we wish and I'm not sure we are missing out on much by not being on WNW's "list".

Totally agree Dean, being independent is a real good thing.

Also WNW knows we are more than likely buy a significant number of what ever kit they release.

They don't have to entice us to buy so they can 'focus' their effort places where they encourage modellers to take a look at their products, and thus sell more kits. The US market is all probability their prime focus due to its size so no doubt the forums they support will be those that have a big following there. I can think of two forums at the moment that I believe WNW support and both have a large US based membership.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:17 PM »
...I just dont think we have to have points rammed home......

Steve

Dekenba

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
  Bob (BVB)
Thanks for the great Albatros interior shots my old friend. What museum is that ?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory
RAF Hendon, in North West London. A second home for me  ;)

The RE.8 (out of shot) is also fully strung-up and ready for drooling  :D

Cheers,
vB

When was the Albatros rolled out?!

I was there in August & it was not there then - I'll have to go again now!

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 10:06:27 PM »
  Bob (BVB)
Thanks for the great Albatros interior shots my old friend. What museum is that ?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Hi Gregory
RAF Hendon, in North West London. A second home for me  ;)

The RE.8 (out of shot) is also fully strung-up and ready for drooling  :D

Cheers,
vB

When was the Albatros rolled out?!

I was there in August & it was not there then - I'll have to go again now!

I think she has been up on her wheels for over a month, now. Go take a look!
vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline gcn

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 10:46:53 PM »
I can understand why they choose not to offer samples for review here as to be honest this is a market they have already got and its relatively small. They seem to be going for forums with a more wider appeal. Take Britmodeller for example, they now get review samples from WNW, they have a large user base but their interest in WW1 aviation is almost non existent and prior to getting the reviewer they have now previous reviews on WW1 kits were pitiful.

They also send kits to strange places, scalemodellingnow for instance a subscription based website that must have limited coverage and is relatively closed off, and I'm not sure why Aeroscale still get them, their footfall is pretty small.

I don't think it would do them any harm sending them here though at least they'd get built with a proper build log, which to me is the best form of advertising you can get as opposed to the normal in box reviews which to my mind are boarding on pointless.

mike in calif

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2013, 12:24:35 AM »
They seem to have several buildlogs in place all the time here already. I guess we are the captive audience, yet as was pointed out, independence is a good thing.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
Hmmm. My next build log here might have to be a Roden subject.  :P

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 12:58:27 AM »
Thats good too Bo!!

Steve

Offline IvotB

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2013, 01:17:33 AM »
They seem to have several buildlogs in place all the time here already. I guess we are the captive audience, yet as was pointed out, independence is a good thing.
Now I am getting curious. I wasn't before. Any firm, as idealistic as they might seem, has to make money somehow. I regard this forum as a group of very dedicated and talented modellers helping eachother out. That's how I have found it. And yes, lots of members here have great sympathy for WNW (as I have) because of the top quality of their products. There is therefore (my humble conclusion) no new market to be conquered for WNW here in this group. Following that line of reasoning I can fully understand WNW not supporting this forum, but others. And I like to be independant too.

Now Mike, you suggest that WNW is an active poster of buildlogs (perhaps through others) and that's where I start putting a small question mark. That would mean there is some kind of commercial advertisement going on (and Des should perhaps recieve some support for keeping this forum in existance). In that case I would prefer to have that in the open. Not that I would not be on this forum anymore if it didn't , but I just like transparency.

regards,
Ivo
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:20:40 AM by IvotB »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2013, 01:30:05 AM »
    Thanks Dave and Des for the clarification. I was watching this topic closely and was somewhat confused by the initial Posts, electing to sit back and wait for a clearer picture seemed best.
    I am somewhat disappointed to learn that WNW have, by commission, chosen to not "support" this Forum. I sense that there could well be some "political" or personality driven motivation for their decision however that is well beyond my (and I daresay everyone else's) control. As Dave has pointed out numerous times, they are the best producer and offer the best customer support post purchase on the market hands down. I am aware that Aeroscale get samples for review, and I'm not surprised that several other Forums do as well. In that fact alone it's WNW's loss (and their right), and I agree strongly with GCN's statement on Build Logs vs. In Box Reviews. The fact that we see the consequences differently matters not.
   Having said all that will I feel any guilt in supporting WNW by virtue of buying their products?........certainly not as they are simply the very best. Will I support other suppliers? ..........as much as I can. Am I disappointed in WNW's lack of support to this Forum?..................very much so!
Rather then dwell on all the negatives I'd like to state one positive; In my view this Forum is the most enjoyable and fastest growing on the Web, characterised by a friendly, helpful, and, most important, respectful membership that is well moderated by the "staff". I have been and continue to be a member of several other Forums and there's a reason I spend most of my hobby "administration" time here. It's because I enjoy it here and feel a strong amount of kinsmanship with my fellow members. I've learned a great deal here, and never at the expense of pride nor confidence. The tone here is never one of criticism nor confrontation, and I appreciate that above all else. We are the best, and it's often lonely at the top.
   In conclusion, the immortal words of one of my great "heros", Forest Gump, "that's all I'm going to say about that"!
Cheers All,
Lance :) :)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2013, 01:51:05 AM »
Now Mike, you suggest that WNW is an active poster of buildlogs (perhaps through others) and that's where I start putting a small question mark. That would mean there is some kind of commercial advertisement going on (and Des should perhaps recieve some support for keeping this forum in existance). In that case I would prefer to have that in the open. Not that I would not be on this forum anymore if it didn't , but I just like transparency.

That's not how I interpreted Mike's remark; I read it simply that there were several ongoing build logs featuring WNW subjects. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't think anyone is suggesting WNW has proxies here doing builds for advertising purposes.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2013, 02:04:08 AM »
Thanks Des for added clarification.  If I offended, I meant no offense.  I agree with the others.  This is a great forum and is populated by active enthusiastic folks willing to share their modeling skills, talents, abilities and "helpful hints". 
Whether or not WNW supports this forum or not is a side issue, the main issue is we are having fun and sharing our work with others.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....