Author Topic: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian  (Read 7061 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Spad XIII Early 1/32 Roden Speaking Italian
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2022, 12:28:40 AM »
You are right about the rudder fit Marc. I didn't go quite far enough on mine, something I will correct when I do another. All is looking good so I am looking forward to more progress.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2022, 01:56:35 AM »
Really nice work on those feathers Marc  :)

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Monty

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2022, 10:45:54 PM »
Hi Rick, thanks for checking in. Yes, next time I will just remove locating pins, carve out the space for the elevator connecting rod and file back the mating surfaces til they fit! Fast and furious... Just to note the vertical post of the rudder must line up vertically with the end of the fuselage and be a good fit - otherwise the rudder just won't mate up properly or be left with gaps! This took me hours of filing and scaping and fiddling, I know better for next time! But the parts themselves look good when it's all together... Hi Alexis, always good to have you checking in!

So on to some underside stuff. I decided to add the undercarriage as it's the same colour as the underside, and the tailplane struts too while I was at it! I'm glad I did it as some filing, tweaking, messy gluing and redoing was needed... I tried to clearly show the replacement spreader bar with the three rib tapes, they may be a tad accentuated but less would probably not be seen....

That spreader bar needs to set absolutely square, it has a hole drilled in each end that lines up with the axle holes in the legs so that if I need to inset a wire for strength I can do it... I think I wasted a lot of time on it, I do have another plan...

Regards, Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2022, 12:03:23 AM »
Braces and especially the spreader bar look great Marc!
RAGIII

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2022, 02:26:23 AM »
Fine progress and solving little puzzles Roden put in front of us. Modelling, is it not, Marc? ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2022, 07:20:20 AM »
Nice work Marc, and interesting to see how you tackled the spreader bar as that's an unknown quantity for me.
Zac in NZ

Offline Monty

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2022, 09:14:16 PM »
Hi Zac, Thanks for checking in! I think there are many ways of tackling the spreader bar, I did consider a stiff wire axle with card wrapped around it in an airfoil shape or even a plastic sprue axle, it could well work. I have a different idea so that I can adjust the wheel position a bit more freely... but we will get there! Yes, Przemo, I am quite happy to tackle some modelling challenges at present, I hope I can make it look OK in the end... Hi Rick, your vote of confidence definitely helps the build along!

Well, finally getting some paint on this baby... My favourite mix of Tamiya acrylics in my potion formulation... 50% flat white, 10% clear, just a drop of retarder and 40% lacquer thinner... then just the smallest drop of blue grey to match the decal white..(seen on the left of the photo..). Strange to start with some markings first, but I woke up one night with this idea going through my head...

Regards,

Marc

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2022, 11:25:40 PM »
Looking fabulous Marc. It is great to see some color going on this one!
RAGIII

Offline Monty

« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2022, 03:11:35 AM »
Yeah Rick, the colour starts to bring it alive! Thank you for following... Now for the Italian ID green on the rudder and lower wing - love this colour - Tamiya Park green... now must be careful to let things dry, mask and paint again... rise and repeat... at least 5 times! So lots of fun...

ATB, Marc

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2022, 04:59:34 AM »
Nice progress, Marc. Good luck with all of the painting!
Cheers,
Gary

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2022, 07:57:18 AM »
Godspeed Marc, I envy you and your possession of an airbrush! I'm wondering how practical it will be for me to brush-paint my roundels...
Zac in NZ

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2022, 09:40:49 AM »
Lovely green Marc! I am of course, looking forward to the rest!
RAGIII

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2022, 05:03:37 PM »
This is a great looking build, Marc.  That green does jump out at you.
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline Monty

« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2022, 07:24:39 PM »
Thank You Gazza, Gary and Rick for checking in. Zac, an airbrush can be a two-edged sword, great effects are possible but a glorious mess as well! The learning curve is quite steep with so many things affecting the result, sometimes it feels like sorcery! I had a really good friend when I was much younger, he was a professional modeller, and I eventually bought the same equipment as him (Badger 150 in those days) and did my airbrushing in his modelling room, monkey see, monkey do and "Why has this just gone terribly wrong, Bruce??". Without that help I don't think it would have been easy at all... Bruce was a victim of a house break-in recently and sustained a gun-shot wound, he is recovering slowly. An all too frequent grim reality here... Well, back to modelling.

I sprayed the red and it went down OK. On removing the masking tape from the rudder it marked the paint as the white was just so soft. I remember the problems I had with soft paint during the Dr.1 build, the red was a pest. So the tactic now is to let all this dry out completely for a few days, so no progress, I'm afraid. A combination of the cooler humid weather here, the paint retarder I use and impatience... That will teach me.

The colours look pretty, anyway.
Regards, Marc

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2022, 08:13:51 PM »
Italian colours are a lovely combination, no doubt about it. They bring that famous pizza Margherita to hungry minds :)
Fine work, Marc, I keep my fingers crossed for your patience to wait until layers are fully dried ;) Good luck!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.