Author Topic: Pegasus Albatros DIII  (Read 1427 times)

Offline djuggie

Pegasus Albatros DIII
« on: April 11, 2024, 10:02:44 AM »
April 10, 2024

Many years ago two gentlemen formed a company call Veeday Models.  They had the audacity to produce WW1 models in a short run injection format.  What a crazy idea.  Veeday did not last long but a new company, Pegasus Models, was created.  Models that we never thought would be produced in any medium, except maybe vacuform.  Over the course of the next 20 years or so, Pegasus went on to produce 46 WW1 model in 1/72nd scale.  He ventured into 1/48th a little but his main thrust was 1/72.  He produced 1500 castings per mold.  I bought everything he produced and of the 46 kits, I built all but 8 of them.  Over the course of this year, I will attempt to build all of his kits. 

This model is the Pegasus Albatros D.III and as is with all Pegasus kits, decals and metal parts were provided.  The box and parts are shown in the first photo.  By today's standards, the kits are crude, but there was nothing else on the market with the exception of Revell and Airfix.  Toko, Eduard and Roden were not even on the horizon.

The interior was completed out of the box, adding only seat belts.  The engine came from the spare parts box for a little more detail.  The bottom of the engine was cut off so it would fit on the platform.   It was easier than cutting a hole in the platform.  The machine guns appeared to be a little stubby, so I used some Eduard barrels and lengthened them a little.  The color scheme is being researched and some of it will be revealed in the next post.  The fuselage is ready for putty work and all metal parts have been straightened and cleaned up

Dennis

« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 02:52:51 AM by djuggie »

Offline DaddyO

Re: Pegasus Albatros DIII
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 05:08:18 PM »
Great to see another Pegasus model being built Dennis.

Only built two so far, but they are some of my favorites being basically accurate and nice a sharp where it matters needing only some love and detail added to bring them right up to current standards  ;)

I had no idea that there were 76 different WW1 kits available (I've got perhaps a dozen on the shelf and thought I was doing pretty well) . . .

Anyway following with interest
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 05:35:46 PM »
That is true vintage modeling! Good luck with the build and the entire plan to build them all!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 06:24:44 PM »
Takes me down memory lane! My first build on the WWI Mailing List was the Pegasus Oeffag Albatros. This was back in 1998/9 when I started to get back into modelling. Chris Gannon, the man behind Pegasus, was a fixture at Scale ModelWorld and was renowned for always turning up immaculately dressed (not difficult compared to most modellers.....  ;D).

Lovely start Dennis. With a bit of care these can be made into great models. And of course some Pegasus kits are still available from Freightdog Models, who took over the Pegasus line. 

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 08:24:11 PM »
Wow Dennis, yeah. You and Nigel are really taking me back with Pegasus kits and the list!

Looking forward to this.

Warren

Online macsporran

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 08:47:02 PM »
I remember Chris Gannon, in his suit, at all the Scottish National shows, back in the Albert Hall, Stirling days.

He was always hugely enthusiastic and loved to share development plans and welcome suggestions I built all the 1/48 Blue Max kits and was so disappointed when he chucked the towel in. I recall him telling me how he had spent so long getting the exact 'buttery' plastic mix that he wanted to make carving easier - some loved it, some hated it. He had only ventured one or two in the 4th SilverWings series - seem to remember a Martin-Baker MB5.

Great guy. I wonder what happened to him?
Sandy

Offline djuggie

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 10:13:12 PM »
I thank everyone for the positive feed back on the Albatros build.

I would have liked Chris as I too like my suits.  What a dapper pair we would have made.  I had an arrangement with John at Aeroclub that as soon as a new Pegasus was released, he would send it to me, no questions asked.  He was also a nice man and we spoke on the phone regularly.  I even spoke with Joe Chubbock once.  The WW1 group in the UK is a tight nit group and always ready to help some one on the other side of the Pond.

I never built any of Chris' Blue Max kits but he did hit on another of my favorite eras with the Flapjack.  That's on my shelf.

The wing is completed on the Albatros and all putty work should be done today.  Should have some photos on Friday.

Dennis

Offline djuggie

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 11:45:49 PM »
I misspoke.  Pegasus made 46 1/72nd scale kits, not 76.  Sigh, I have 76 on my shelf unbuilt.  I have to live until I am 115 years old to even come close to finishing them.

Dennis

Offline IanB

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 02:28:05 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.
 I have quite a stash of Pegasus WWI kits and have built the A-W FK8 (I had some PE made for it and did a deal with Colin at Freightdog for him to include it in the kits he had left), and the Bristol M1.C. I've made a tentative start on the Vickers Gunbus, and the Taube is also in progress with 3d printed extras.
The DH4 is featured in a current build log here and I've designed and printed some add ons for that too.

Keep up the good work!

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2024, 05:57:13 AM »
This is terrific Dennis! I've got some experience with Pegasus but my skills weren't quite "there" yet: I feel now is the right time to tackle some of those on my wishlist (as you and I have discussed).

A great first post and I'm excited to see the next!
Zac in NZ

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2024, 09:04:07 AM »
After accumulating many Pegasus kits in the stash, I have finally embarked on the building of a Roland D-VIb.  Have been taken aback by the thickness of the molded parts.  Found that a small grinder helped with the interior, and probably should not have ground out the engine area, as the Roden engine I am trying to use just seems too big, no matter how much I hollow out the compartment.

My biggest question, though, is about the flying surfaces.  They seem awfully thick.  Are they thick on your Albatros too?  And if so, are you doing anything to thin them down, or just being happy with what you have?
Thanks,
Rick in Seattle

Offline djuggie

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2024, 10:46:48 AM »
Rick,

You have chosen a very early Pegasus kit, about #8 and in the plastic bag.  My Albatros is about #22 and by this time he has thinned the flying surfaces.  I have yet to build this model but looked at one I do have and the wings are thick.  I may thin them or I may just live with it.  Not sure yet.  If I do thin them. I will rescribe the ribs with a single swipe of an engraving tool.   And thinning the interior is what I figured I would need to do as his early kits had very thick interior plastic.  Keep us posted on your progress as I have been know pilfer others ideas.  :-)

Dennis

Online Davos522

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2024, 11:11:04 AM »
Another great build in progress I see! Looks good so far, Dennis, love that motor.

Interesting history here too... I remember Pegasus kits being regularly advertised in the old Fine Scale Modeler, and picked up several at shows back in the late 90s and early Double-Aughts for a few dollars each; one of the Phönix D-series, an OEFFAG Albatros, and something else IIRC. Too teeny for me, though, I gave them all to Curt last year along with the psychedelic A-H "sworl" decals I picked up somewhere. He loves 1:72, so maybe one of 'em might actually get built in the next year or two.

Dutch

Offline Rick_H

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 04:24:30 PM »
Dennis,
Thanks, it never clicked for me that the boxed kits were a quality step beyond the bagged kits.  The only quality steps I was aware of were with the Siemens Schuckert D III kits, where there were three generations - molded in black plastic, then white, then grey, I think.  The first generation was really rough.  I have one of the white plastic ones been sitting on the shelf of doom for many, many years.  No telling how I will ever match that red paint on it.
Thanks,
Rick in Seattle

Offline djuggie

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 10:42:08 PM »
Rick,
Ah, the SS D.III.  Nothing but excitement on my part for this kit.  Crude?  Lord, yes.  I do remember this was the only kit that I know of that he re-issued.  I remember spending forever drilling out the spinner to make it look real.  The was no Aeroclub for aftermarket parts and reference material was skimpy at best.  I am holding one in my hand now and this must have been one of his later D.III's as it has a metal cowling.  And I did the kit decals of Udet's LO!  With a little care, this dresses up into a nice model.  I checked my records and mine was built in 1988.  This would make it my first Pegasus kit.
Dennis