Author Topic: Pegasus 1/72 Roland VIb  (Read 132 times)

Offline djuggie

Pegasus 1/72 Roland VIb
« on: May 15, 2024, 07:31:27 AM »
May 14, 2024

Back to my main building enjoyment, 1/72nd.  This is the oldest unbuilt Pegasus kit in my stash and as you can see, it came in a plastic bag.  This was the beginning of metal parts as the machine guns are metal.  I will be able to use the MAC kit instructions to supplement the basic Pegasus instructions.  There is also now a Datafile for the aircraft.

The second photo show some of the Dremel work on the interior.  I have yet to decide if there will be any thinning in the engine area although the this area is bit anemic and I may put an engine in.  I will not be thinning the wings even though they are out of scale.  The top and bottom detail is too nicely done to sand it down and re-do it. 

The third photo shows the decals that will be applied to all wing and tail surfaces.  The color scheme has also not been decided on.

Dennis

Offline DaddyO

Re: Pegasus 1/72 Roland VIb
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 05:01:42 PM »
Great subject Dennis.
I picked up the Pegasus model for a song after I'd already bought a MAC version - guess which I prefer? ;) Look forward to seeing this one shape up

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 06:14:57 PM »
Well, that's looking like quite a challenge to me......

Back to my main building enjoyment, 1/72nd. 
I think you mean carving models out of lumps of plastic....... ;) :D

Offline Flamingo

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 09:15:07 PM »
Will follow with interest. The kit is based on the old Harleyford drawing, which it matches pretty good.
I have a czech resin kit which is so similar one might wonder whether Chris Gannon used it as pattern.

One can keep the rib detail and refine the parts by sanding lower surfaces only, less visible on the finished model and
very little detail on the full size machine, so decal strips only will do.

Have fun Joachim

Offline djuggie

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 10:58:57 PM »
Thank you for the comments.  Keeps me going.

Just think of where diamonds comes from.  Lumps of coal under pressure.  Ok, ok.  Maybe not diamonds but something that is recognizable.  And maybe no pressure but I do associate with a keen eyed group of people.

As far as the sanding of the lower wings, I starting to lean in that direction.  I will use a single swipe of a scribing tool to bring the ribs back to life.  And I have gone into my parts box and found an engine that will work.  Sigh.  See how you corrupted me!  Used to sit at my modelling table without a care in the world cranking out models.  Now I have to make them look good.  Woe is me.

Dennis

Offline WD

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:53:18 AM »
Looking forward to see what you do with this Dennis. You'll be fine corruption or no.

Warren

Online macsporran

« Reply #6 on: Today at 02:05:50 AM »
That looks a lotta work, Dennis.

I remember, back in the day, when confronted with a sow's ear like that I'd reach for the Harry Woodman scratchbuilding book and start scribing plastic!

Still, you've only got to make it halfway decent to qualify as a star modeller! I'm sure you'll bring it home to rapturous applause.
Sandy

Offline ondra

« Reply #7 on: Today at 04:42:46 AM »
This definitely is a challenging kit, but the subject is well worth the effort, since Roland D.VI is imho one of the most beautiful of WWI.

Keeping my fingers crossed and following your progress with great interest.

Cheers.

Ondra

Offline enathan

« Reply #8 on: Today at 05:04:53 AM »
I'd love to follow your build log Dennis but for some reason I can't see your photos. I did see your Allied and Central Powers photos up to a few days ago and then they disappeared. Nevertheless, I'm sure this is going to be a great build.