Author Topic: Instrument decal application  (Read 1300 times)

Offline David 63

Instrument decal application
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:53:30 AM »
Hello. This is my first post to this forum and I would like to know the best method for applying instrument decals. Should I leave the decal backing on and glue them in place or should I apply them as I would a normal decal?
David

Offline Kreston

Re: Instrument decal application
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:22 AM »
Apply as a normal decal.  I am very careful sliding them off the backing paper and into their proper position...they are so small you don't want them folding over on themselves.
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 01:23:47 AM »
i put a puddle of Micro Set on the model first where the decal will go. Then it is quite easy -- if you are careful -- to properly orient the instrument face by nudging it around gently with a tweezer...

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Offline David 63

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 02:51:08 AM »
Thank you very much for the welcome and the answer. Have not made a ww1 aircraft for quite awhile. I think that about 50 years ago I built all of the old Revell kits but it's been ages. Your site is so informative and your knowldge base is quite vast so I had to get on this forum. Being the holiday season I have no builds at the moment but plans are to start the WnW Eindekker 1 in January. Thanks. David

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 03:12:23 AM »
Welcome to the forum, David!  I do the same as Bo.  I also add just the tiniest drop of liquid soap in warm water to reduce the chance of the decal folding over on itself.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 07:05:26 AM »
Well David, not much to add but another welcome! I use pretty much the same method as Bo and Bud. ( Just not as well as they do)  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 07:44:13 AM »
I echo everything that has been said about the instrument decals but add my welcome also.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline gcn

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
And make sure you have a sheet of Airscale cockpit decals handy for when the inevitable happens

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
After the instrument decal has set, I apply a drop of Humbrol clear cote to represent the instrument's glass.

Stefan

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:48:19 PM »
I think that RB's advice to trim off as much of the surrounding clear film is very important where you need the decal to sit smoothly in moulded, raised bezels.

Best wishes
Nigel