Author Topic: Pegasus 1/72 Etrich Taube  (Read 13099 times)

Offline lone modeller

Pegasus 1/72 Etrich Taube
« on: June 09, 2014, 07:33:42 AM »
Evening All,

"Taube" means pigeon or dove in German and the name is derived from the shape of the wings, although the original inspiration for this planform came from the leaf of the Zanonia palm. Igo Etrich was an Austrian who, through a series of designs in the first decade of the 20th century, eventually built an aeroplane that became the forerunner of the later Taube models. Although Etrich produced a number of prototypes, it was the two seat design which was produced in significant numbers, although every machine was different as each one was hand-built, and each was an attempt to improve on its predecessor. Later other companies in Germany produced similar aircraft, also called Tauben, but many of these were of simpler construction and had the underwing spar and spar extensions deleted and a markedly reduced amount of rigging, all of which reduced drag and increased speed.

I have built a number of conversions, particularly pusher types, and a scratch build, recently, and I wanted to try a kit for a change so I thought that a tractor monoplane would be a good idea. I have a vacuform of the Etrich Taube which was released in the 1970's but I am not a fan of vacuforms so I bought a Pegasus injection moulded kit instead. A notice on the box says that this kit is not a toy and is only recommended for experienced modellers and collectors: I have been warned.

The kit consists of plastic parts with some white metal parts for the fuselage bulkheads, control column, fuselage pylons and undercarriage legs and what passes for an engine. The spar extensions and struts, axle and exhaust pipes have to be cut from plastic rod and strut material which is provided. Instruction number one states remove all parts from the trees and clean them up. The plastic in this kit is fairly soft so this procedure needs care but is straightforward with a sharp knife. The parts are well moulded for a limited run kit, and except for the engine the white metal parts seem to be quite good too. The engine is a bit crude but as it is mostly concealed I will probably use it as is. The idea of building another engine from scratch just does not appeal to me at the moment. There is a problem with the wings and tail surfaces however as they are much too thick, especially the trailing edges, but as I am not prepared to spend an evening sanding them down I will reduce the thickness of the trailing edges and leave the rest, as much for strength as any other reason.

This is the kit from the box after I had removed the parts from the trees and done a little cleaning up. The long stringy bits are the rod and Contrail strut material mentioned above, and the white metal parts are bottom left.

The next step is to start painting the fuselage interior and start assembling it. More later.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:20:33 AM by lone modeller »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Pegasus 1/72 Etrich Taube
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
Looking forward on seeing how you handle this one .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
An excellent subject LM, I will be following your build closely.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
I'll be watching this closely as I have this kit in my stash. If you want a better engine try e-mailing Choroszy, I've bought a few from him at $2 each plus minimal postage!

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »
I love the Taube, LM!  Such an elegant kite.  I'm looking forward to your build.
   A notice on the box says that this kit is not a toy and is only recommended for experienced modellers and collectors: I have been warned.   
Just be careful not to play with it, then.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Bolman

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 12:07:14 PM »
I love the Taube, LM!  Such an elegant kite.  I'm looking forward to your build.
   A notice on the box says that this kit is not a toy and is only recommended for experienced modellers and collectors: I have been warned.   
Just be careful not to play with it, then.
Cheers,
Bud

My aircraft get played with all the time, Bud. Go ahead and play lone modeller, enjoy yourself ;)

John

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
Wow this is a fantastic machine, I looked over for  48th kit, but wasn't lucky.
I'll be following your WIP with much interest!

Antonio

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 04:04:06 PM »
Good luck, LM! Like many others, I'll be following your build with real interest.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
I am looking forward to your build! This should be an awesome thread!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline vincentm

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »
This is no doubt going to be a very impressive build.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 06:43:14 AM »
Evening All,

I am not sure about playing with this one Bud and Bolman: the way this has gone so far I have felt like giving it one or two test flights though!

This has been my first experience with a limited run kit so I have been on a steep learning curve recently. I have decided not to replace the engine but to use the one in the kit, together with the other kit parts. I am not sure whether this was the right decision because the result has been a bit of a struggle trying to get the various parts to fit properly. The first problem was to get the bulkheads to fit into the fuselage: they required quite a lot of filing to shape. Then I made a bulkhead to fit between the pilot's and observer's cockpits made from plastic card and a floor was made to fit into the bottom of the fuselage. The hole in the bottom of the fuselage where the control stick will be fitted later also needed enlarging and cleaning up.

The biggest problem was getting the engine to fit. Basically the aperture in the nose is too small because the nose of the model is too short. I could only resolve this problem by extending the hole for the engine back towards the observer's cockpit and then putting a piece of 10 thou card under the engine to lift it a little so that it fits the new hole better. Joining the fuselage halves with the white metal and card interior fittings was also a real juggle and I forgot to take any pictures at this stage as I was concentrating too much on the task in hand. The fuselage join was not too bad considering all things and did not need very much filler although it did need some sanding and filing. The recess for the horizontal tail surface needed to be opened with a knife and file and then the trailing edge had to be thinned to make it more realistic. Again only a small amount of filler was needed on this join.

Finally I drilled a hole through the fuselage to take a piece of wire to hold the wings when they are joined to the fuselage. This will be a butt joint and I am not sure how strong it will be with just plastic cement so I am taking no chances. I will drill holes in the ends of the wings later.

More later.

Thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:23:26 AM by lone modeller »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:28 AM »
Excellent start, LM!  From the photos I would never be able to tell that you were having fit issues.  Very solid work, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »
Excellent start, LM!  From the photos I would never be able to tell that you were having fit issues.  Very solid work, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud

I agree with BUd 100%
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IanB

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 10:29:21 AM »
These limited run kits are definitely a rule unto themselves. No two are alike, but that's what makes them special. Looking good so far!

Ian

Offline TomR1981

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »
I somehow missed this until now, good to see a Taube being built. It sounds like a challenge but certainly looking good so far.

Tom