Author Topic: WNW Albatros for local IPMS club 'Build Same Kit' competition  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
I really hate putting a half finished build off to one side, only to start another one. Seems to be the story of my last couple of years modelling with nothing finished in that time. I just got the 120hp Beardmore engine finished on my WNW Early FE2B but my local IPMS club just launched the annual 'Build Same Kit' (BSK) competition and this year the Wingnut Wings Albatros DV/DVa made the cut. Judging is on June 27th so I have about 10 weeks to get it finished which is quite challenging for me. The last kit I finished was a WNW Sopwith Pup for the BSK competition two years ago. Two other local modellers who voted for the Albatros are Richard Alexander and Dave Johnson (Moeggo) who are probably known to many of you (both from Wingnut Wings).

I am really stuck for choice because I have two sets of WNW decals and four sets of Pheon Models Albatros decals in my stash  :o

No pics for a few days, I have to decide which one to do first.
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW Albatros for local IPMS club 'Build Same Kit' competition
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:37:44 PM »
That's a very interesting concept for a GB, sounds as though it would be a lot of fun seeing everyone building the same kit, looking forward to seeing your first lot of progress photos.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:47:49 PM »
Good Luck with your group build, looking forward to some progress pics.

Cheers

Pete.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Oh what an awful dilemma to be in  ;D

As said I look forwards to you posting as you progress

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 11:26:21 PM »
What if two people make the same markings? It'll be like parties where people are wearing the same outfit, lol

Regards :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:19:51 AM »
One to be watching for sure.

Paddy
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 06:07:51 AM »
Sorry to see your Fee set aside, Jamo, but this promises to be a fun build to watch.  Do the rules require that you keep it oob?  I would really love to see someone convert this kit to the Albatros Dr.I.  Wouldn't that be spectacular in 1/32 scale?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 06:13:44 AM »
We have an OKGB, as we call it, over on the Airfix forum in Hyperscale. Its a lot of fun watching people do various things from oob to full conversions. The same pitfalls come up for some and the different solutions are very interesting. Something we might want to do here down the line.

Steve

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:33:16 AM »
  James,
Welcome aboard my old friend.Glad you landed safely here.I'm looking forward to seeing your excellent photo detail post.I looking forward to following your BSK progress and later that awesome Fee of your's.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette.

PS: Has Dave (Moeggo) joined up yet? Another very talented  modeler.
" What Me Worry"

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 06:41:18 AM »
I have now decided what markings to go with. I like the zig-zag red arrow on the Jasta 17 black and white tailplane of Schreder's DV. The markings are available as Option E on Wingnut Wings 30013 Albatros DV. Unfortunately I only have the DVa kit in my stash. Yes I know the two kits are almost identical - the only difference is the PE set where the metal cover between the two machine guns has a different shape to allow the aileron control cables passing through up to the top wing on the DV. The DVa PE set also has the long metal straps that secured the front of the engine panels.

I am going to get around the problem by modelling The Vintage Aviator Ltd's second Albatros reproduction which was finished in Schreder's markings and subsequently sold to Kermit Weeks in Florida. The TVAL Albatros repros are all constructed as DVa types with the additional support struts to the V interplane struts.

Unfortunately I never got to see this Albatros before it was exported. Its only public flight was at the Classic Fighters airshow at Omaka in Blenheim NZ last Easter, with Kermit Weeks showing it off. My friend David Frowen was there and took some good photos which he has kindly provided to me for posting in my Photobucket album.

http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af234/Jamo_kiwi/Albatros%20DV%20TVAL/

The photos show a number of interesting details to be incorporated into the model. The radiator appears to be a Teeves and Braun type however the shutters underneath are more commonly associated with the Daimler Mercedes type radiator.

The Mercedes engine on the TVAL reproduction is the type with a water-jacketed inlet manifold.

The plywood panel around the cockpit has a section of padding in front of the windscreen

The tailskid has fabric wrapping over about half its length

Canvas covers over the bungee cords on the undercarriage

Not much progress to report on the build yet. At this stage its just removing parts from sprues and cleaning them up ready for painting. I need to save some time where possible so I don't plan to detail anything which won't be visible on the completed model. Weathering will be very light. I plan to use Pheon decals for the lozenge fabric (the pink option), and some HGW sets for seatbelts and surface fittings.

Today is a public holiday in New Zealand (and Australia), ANZAC Day, where we remember the sacrifices made by our soldiers in war. Dawn parades have taken place all around the country. TVAL will be commemorating ANZAC Day with their last airshow of the season, on Saturday. I will post some photos when I get back.

Cheers James
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:46:47 AM by Jamo »
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 08:01:36 AM »
Awesome photos Jamo, thank you for posting them, one question though, what is the purpose of the padding in front of the windscreen?

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
  James,
As always your excellent post never fail to provide the best photo references for each of us.Thank you very much my friend you are greatly appreciated by all.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »
Great photo's James, awesome work by TVAL. Looking forward to your shots from the airshow!!

For our local Anzac Day march we had a fly past of aircraft from HARS - the Super Connie, a DC3, 'Black Cat' Catalina and their recently acquired DHC 4 Caribou (one of my favorite aircraft). No WW1 aircraft but the sound of those engines is riveting and always gives me a thrill!!

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
Those are more than handy detail shots. Thanx!! Anyway, as suggested elsewhere, we could put these types of photos in a separate aircraft file with subcats for each type ?- I know- want want want

Steve

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »
Some nice detail photos there James, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Pete.