Author Topic: AMC DH.2 - Wingnut Wings 1/32  (Read 8673 times)

Offline gbrivio

Re: AMC DH.2 - Wingnut Wings 1/32
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2021, 03:23:37 PM »
Amazing work on engine and propeller, thank you for sharing.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2021, 07:44:51 PM »
Fine work on that propeller. But always when admiring such artistry on British props it comes to my mind that they were usually mono-colour, unlike the German ones.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Rafael Berlin

• e^(i*pi)+1 = 0
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2021, 08:48:02 PM »
Thanks a lot to all of you!

...British props it comes to my mind that they were usually mono-colour, unlike the German ones.

Thank you so much for that information. I honestly didn't know. Most models show the wood layers. It didn't came to my mind to question it.
However, after having checked my material, it seems to me, that also wood layer versions can be found.

Follwing picture from the WnW instruction shows a layered prop
Propeller2 by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Next picture is an excerpt from Windsock Datafile and shows a little bit from construction drawings of DH2, For me it looks like many wood layers.
Propeller by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Honestly, I wouldnt't have done the wood layers with having your information. You are absolutely right, most origianl pics show mono-coloured props. I never realized before. But I think it is still OK to leave it now as it is.
 ;)

Best regards,
Rafael

PS: This is a stunning forum with so much detail knowledge. Feeling very comfortable.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2021, 09:18:02 PM »
I see your point, Rafael, it seems that there are indeed the layers visible, or at least one. The argument is difficult here but I tend to see that the dark strip in the prop blade is relatively thick and it does not quite fit to the thickness of layers shown in the drawing of the prop. I wonder if it is a real different colour of the layer or something else (shadow, staining, I have no idea). Additionally, I would expect to see some layer pattern on the other blade which is not in shadow. Me, I would go for monochromatic propeller. But of course it is your decision, you have done a lovely job on that prop, I would not waste it now. Go for it.  ;)
And to add one more thing - I do admire your spectacular work on this model!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2021, 12:03:58 AM »
    The Windsock Data File Special, "WWI British Aeroplane Propellers" is an excellent source of info on this topic. Although, on closer views the laminations can be discerned most photos show a generally "blended" appearance with the wood grain apparent but not the layers of the stock used. As a general rule on my models I use hand carved props with clear delineations of the layers or laminations on German subjects and paint the plastic kit versions using the standard oil paint "woodgrain effect" on British and French designs. A study of the photos used for reference will generally support this approach. Like any theory there are exceptions; a photo at the bottom of page 16 of the book shows a rack of finished 4 blade props in a British shop with very apparent laminated effect clearly visible. As a general assumption I suspect that British props had one type of wood employed while German designs mostly used several, thus the graphic contrast between the layers regardless of stain being applied.
     This interpretation of mine is strictly my personal interpretation of very limited observation, in other words based on a very soft and slippery base of warm "puppy poop".  Like I always say,"the only thing about WWI Aviation we're really sure of is ........  were not sure"!
   Hope this is helpful or at least thought provoking.
Cheers,
Lance 

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 12:55:40 AM »
I have absolutely no knowledge of propellers at all, but I found some pics:

British propeller carved out of a block:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205125452

Laminated props:

http://www.woodenpropeller.com/Basic_Propeller_Construction_-_Techniques.html

I am not familiar with the Windsock Data File Special and these pictures may also be in that volume, but I wanted to share this anyway.

Willem

Online Rafael Berlin

• e^(i*pi)+1 = 0
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2021, 05:22:55 AM »
Thank you Willem, especially for the second link. If you take a closer look on this site, you will find the correct FE8 propeller: http://woodenpropeller.com/FE8.html

As one can clearly see, the are 6 or 7 wooden layers. But the main difference seems to be, that the layers are all made fram the same wood (mahogany). So, the main thing I made wrong, was to increase the contrast by lightening up the light wood layers. Best way would have been the opposite direction.

I'm fighting against myself, maybe simply a coat of oils to just reduce the contrast between the layers...
Arrgggggghhhh
  >:(
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:42:57 AM by Rafael Berlin »

Offline Rookie

• No guts, no glory...
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2021, 07:31:21 AM »
To fuel the discussion a little more, here's a photograph of the crashed SABCA Handley-Page W.8 OO-AHK (also known as HP-18) on 19 October 1929 near Edegem (Belgium).

https://i.postimg.cc/fLBgCtks/HP-18-with-Napier-Lion-engins-and-4-blade-prop-burnt.jpg

The W.8 was the company's first purpose-built civil airliner although it was a development of the Handley Page O/400​.

It had 2 Napier Lion engines and you can see the laminated build up of the prop although no individual colours of the lamination can be seen because of the scorching.

Most likely they were manufactured by Watling and Son of Great Yarmouth who made propellers for Handley Pages and the Vickers Vimy.

But having said all that, I think your prop looks fantastic and no-one will think any less of, whether you want to keep it this way or choose to change it.

Willem
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:35:30 AM by Rookie »

Offline RichieW

« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2021, 05:45:53 AM »
Hi Rafael,

I isn't wrong to have the layers showing, here is an original Bristol propeller that hangs on the wall in a museum. Even after over 100 years of ageing in which oxidation would make the wood darken the layers are quite distinct.

Original Bristol prop by Richard Williams, on Flickr

Hope this is of interest.

Richie

Offline Edo

« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2021, 03:34:33 PM »
well, I don’t know how I missed this thread before but.... it is awesome!
you did a great work all around, but the engine is outstanding!
but here is a question for you and Alexis, as she is doing a beautiful tutorial on resin kits: how do you manage to handle such a small parts in resin? when I tried (before swearing to my self never to touch resin again) this is what happens in order:
1- separate the resin piece from the block: saw cut too much and/or not square
2- resin part eaten by carpet monster
2.2- some bad words are pronounced (better not to report here...)
3- glue part to my finger
4- glue part AND my finger to main assembly
5- trying to remove my finger trow part into outer space
5.2- some other bad words
6- try to replicate missing part in styrene and/or copper wire
7- new part never good enough
8- make without it alltogheter
9- some philosophical thoughts come to my mind: why spend so much money for a detailed resin kit since I will never be able to add all those detail in the first place?
10- turn off the workbench light and go sadly to sleep

ciao
edo

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2021, 01:56:28 AM »
Hi Rafael,
This is turning out to be an exceptional build  :D.
Personally I'd steer clear of using the white metal landing gear. They are very soft and not really much stronger than the kit parts.
I tend to make such parts with brass tube and rod, which is much stronger and more importantly rigid,

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Online Rafael Berlin

• e^(i*pi)+1 = 0
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2021, 05:58:51 AM »
Hello everyone,

thank you very much for your kind comments! Please accept my appology for being mute such a long time.

I would like to proceed with the building log. Maybe not mentioning each singel step. Well, maybe some details on the wheels, just because I had the funny idea to paint them with my fingers.

OK, they are not that special. (Don't forget to paint the spoke and valve dummies inside!)
20210419_181917_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

I had no mask for the rim to paint the rubber, therefore I had the following idea. Cut masking tape with nail scissors.
20210420_150148_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

You get strips which you can perfectly adjust to the rim
20210420_150231_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Done.
20210420_180507_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

The kit provides white Decals for the writing but it would be very complicating to put them on the raised letters. Therefore I prefered to do it in an unconventional manner. I put a small amount of light gray paint on my pinky and gently distributed it on the letters:
20210420_182541_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

It doesn't need to be perfect
20210420_183738_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

The rest was done with pigments
20210420_201648_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

I also painted the "engine hood"
20210417_132229_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Here the entire fusalage with some weathering
20210528_204339_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

I painted the auxiliary tank
20210611_170821 by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

Fits nicely on the upper wing (just dry fit)
20210611_171239_resized by Rafael Berlin, auf Flickr

As you can see, I the wings have also been painted. Maybe something for the next post, it is getting late now (in Germany).

If you would like to have more details on some part, please just ask. I made a lot of pictures and most things I remember (or have written down in the Revel forum).

Have a nice evening

Best Regards
Rafael

Online RAGIII

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2021, 06:15:58 AM »
Outstanding details and painting. You May have inspired Me to start mine....at which time I am sure I will have questions on your build!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2021, 06:50:05 AM »
Love the weathering ! I used the manicure scissors as well , works wonderful !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Borsos

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2021, 08:32:18 AM »
Great progress so far!!
Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.