Author Topic: 1:16 Sopwith Camel by Model Airways  (Read 3750 times)

Offline RickyGene

Re: 1:16 Sopwith Camel by Model Airways
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:11 AM »
Looking forward to your thread of this build.  I have this same kit along w/some goodies from ShapeWays and Gas Patch.  But before I can build the Camel I am just starting a build of the AL Fokker Dr1.  So I will watch and enjoy your build along the way.
Rick 8)

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
Fine turnbuckle, if you make all these in metal it's probably worth to leave them in natural colour.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Bughunter

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 02:57:57 AM »
Your turnbuckle looks totally nice, don't get me wrong, they are beautifully manufactured.
But, as aliluke wrote, the Camel don't use them.

Turnbuckles are for ropes, but the Sopwith aircrafts, the later ones, uses flatened streamlined steel bars called "RAF aerodynamic wires" as most british aircrafts of that time.
WNW tells in 1/32 scale to use 0,1x0,3mm, so in your scale the bars should be around 0,2x0,6mm.

There are tables for every aircraft, here a example:

An the end the steel bars are round with thread and mounted into terminals, which looks like this:

I replicated those in 1/48 (in your scale and the turnbuckles you show, it should be a easy task for you), see my Bristol Fighter thread:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9378

In 1/32 you can find a product here, may be it helps to get the idea, the review and links are also nice:
http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_68&products_id=328

So, a lot of information, but I wanted to avoid to spend so much effort into a wrong solution.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline RickyGene

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 03:30:05 AM »
Not too hi-jack the thread......but I for one did not know Brit's did not use turnbuckles.  Much info to gleen from here and those who have the knowledge.
Thanks
Rick 8)

Offline FokkerFodder

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 09:13:08 AM »
Hi - lovely turnbuckles. I am no expert but I think you would still be using these for the internal rigging if not the wings (as per frank’s point on the streamline wire).
Cheers
Matt