Author Topic: Phonix A  (Read 2005 times)

Offline djuggie

Phonix A
« on: January 24, 2024, 06:01:42 AM »
January 24, 2024

I need to put aside 1/32nd for a while so I returned to my roots.  1/72nd scale is my scale of choice and I can still see it.  Trying to keep my collection fairly even, I chose the Joystick Phonix A.  I have a thing for seaplanes so this fits the bill.

There is very little information about this plane with the exception of 5 pages in Windsock Issue vol 23, number 23, 2007.

The kit starts with the usual sanding and it took about two hours.  The wings did not match the Windsock drawings and they were lengthened at the wing tips.  The lower wing was completely redone using Rosepart wings blanks.  The ribs are stretched spruce and sanded almost completely flat, leaving only a trace for the ribs.  The rudder was cut and reshaped and the horizontal stabilizer was completed redone with plastic sheet.  Stretched spruce was used on both of these parts.  The engine is from Areoclub.  The kit provides the machine guns and prop but these will probably be replaced.  The fuselage was cut out and departing from most of my vacuforms, I added flat sheet as locating pins.  The dry fit is not that good and these will help with alignment.

Here is where I could use some advise.  The two photos and Bob Pearson's drawing shows the plane is a very light grey.  It could also be a very light unbleached linen.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 08:39:19 AM by djuggie »

Offline Davos522

Re: Phoenix A
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 09:11:46 AM »
Love it, Dennis! Another obscure type swelling the ranks of the UFC (Ugulano Flying Corps)!

I'll definitely be following this one.

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 07:54:35 PM »
More Roseplane action. The forum is becoming a nostalgia fest!

Great start, you make these vacs look easy. But not easy enough that I would actually build one!

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 08:19:36 PM »
This will certainly be a thread to follow.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 06:55:34 AM »
Fantastic! I have a classicvac coming home with me and this may be the nudge I need to get started on it.
Zac in NZ

Offline djuggie

Re: Phonix A
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2024, 07:11:57 AM »
Zac,

I am glad I inspired you but Classic Vacs is not where I would start.  What you need is the Rareplane Junkers D.I.  With all of the after market parts now available, it will be a very easy build and a good kit to get your feet wet.  Now, you ask, where can I find a 40 year old kit?  I just happen to know this guy that I can hook you up with.  Send me a PM for the details.

dennis

Offline enathan

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 10:05:53 AM »
Dennis,
For what it's worth, the two Choroszy kits of the Phonix A show a light grey fuselage with linen wings and red-white-red wingtips.

Offline enathan

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2024, 10:07:16 AM »
The RVHP kit has a brown (wood) fuselage and linen wings.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 08:16:46 PM by enathan »

Offline djuggie

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 02:01:51 PM »
Thank you for confirming the color scheme.  Going through my completed A-H kits, that is where I was going to go.  This confirms it.  Thank you so very much.  Love this group and the collective knowledge.

Dennis

Offline IanB

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2024, 04:45:25 PM »
An excellent reference for A-H seaplanes is "Seaplanes of Bocche" by Boris Ciglic, published by Jeroplan Books. I highly recommend it, even though it doesn't mention this type! Also "The Eagle of Trieste: Part 1 The man and his aircraft". Gottfried Banfield being "the man".

Ian

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 04:55:13 PM »
Send me a PM for the details.
I shall - colour me intrigued!
Zac in NZ

Offline djuggie

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2024, 01:29:33 PM »
February 7, 2024

Took a little time off to restore a small metal box and repair a chipped plate.  But I digress. 

I built an interior just to put something in the space.  No idea what it looked like in real life so this will suffice.  Besides you will not be able to see it after the wing and engine are in place.

The fuselage was closed up and the forward bottom section was made a little more pronounced.  As you can see, a great amount of putty work was required.  A small lip was added to the front of the fuselage and sanded to shape.  It is now ready for paint.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2024, 07:03:05 AM »
Any progress is good progress my friend! I love the little rudder bar and, although I have no knowledge of the type, the instrument board looks pretty darned good too.
Zac in NZ

Offline djuggie

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2024, 10:45:42 AM »
February 10, 2024

The next major step was painting.  A great deal of masking was required  but the results were acceptable to me.  Paints are Tamiya.  My unbleached linen is Tamiy Buff with yellow added.  I go more toward the yellow side for my linen.  All surfaces were sprayed with Future Floor Wax and the decals were applied.  My decals are showing their age and there was some minor breakage.  I must remember to spray them prior to application. For 30 year old decals they well and only a minor amount of setting liquid was necessary. 

The next set of photos will be installing the lower wing and tail surfaces.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2024, 12:01:23 PM »
Not sure how I missed the last two updates, but everything is looking shipshape and Dennis fashion. I’ve always loved the A-H aeroplanes, and this one is going to be a beauty when she gets finished.

All best,

Dutch