Author Topic: Phonix A  (Read 1881 times)

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
Re: Phonix A
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2024, 05:20:31 AM »
Looking terrific Dennis, great work!
Zac in NZ

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2024, 02:41:04 AM »
Love the Austrian flying boats, can’t wait to see the final result - looking good so far.

Looks like the larger crosses broke? Maybe you can repair it with scrap decals, Airfix and many aftermarket sheets for example often contains that sort of thin black lines just for separating the dofferent scheme options.

Online Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2024, 04:28:53 AM »
Looks great Dennis.  I always appreciate that others are still building these vac kits and scratch building.  I’m currently working on an interwar Douglas PD-1 vac kit.   Looking forward to seeing the finished product. 

Tim

Offline djuggie

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2024, 12:03:25 PM »
February 14, 2024

Not a great deal to report.  The tail surfaces are in place with struts and rigging.  Pontoons are in place and the locating holes for the engine support is ready.  The engine will be mounted tomorrow.  So far the measurements look ok.

Dennis

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2024, 12:37:30 PM »
Any progress is good progress  ;)
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2024, 06:49:41 PM »
Indeed, any progress is good progress, and this looks good! :)

Offline djuggie

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2024, 02:29:11 AM »
February 17, 2024

Made good progress yesterday.  Had to rework the engine as I had it backwards (exhaust on wrong side)  But that was corrected and mounted.

Now the hard part.  Normally I eyeball the top wing in a single bay model but with the struts at an angle, I pulled out the Aeroclub jig and am glad I did.  Not an easy project.  But it is mounted and looks ok as far as much trouble it gave me.

The last photo shows it is ready for rigging, installing the last few parts and minor clean up.  I could have it done this weekend.

Dennis

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2024, 02:06:13 PM »
Lovely work and loads of visual progress!
Zac in NZ

Offline NigelR

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2024, 07:48:21 PM »
Looking lovely, and that jig is also a worthy piece of engineering!

Online Davos522

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2024, 03:07:50 AM »
Gorgeous little bird, Dennis... I've always loved A-H aeroplanes as I've mentioned before, and this one is just increasing my appreciation of them!

Dutch

Offline djuggie

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2024, 10:31:38 AM »
February 18, 2024

It is complete.  A more difficult kit due to the high engine mount and all of its struts.  Wing alignment would have been near impossible without some kind of a jig.  I do have an Aeroclub jig but I have seen some excellent hand made jigs that get the job done.  The rigging was very simple and took about 30 minutes to accomplish.  My reference material was Windsock #23 Vol 6.

The first photo is of my building and carry box.  It is a simple box with slots and 5 drawers.  Most 1/72nd scale kits fit in and I can have 5 models going at the same time.  But who does that?  No one in their right mind but then I have never claimed to have a right mind.

The balance of the photos are the completed kit.  Lots of color which is my weak point.  Throw color at me and I will follow you anywhere.  Thank you for looking.

Dennis

Online enathan

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2024, 12:03:50 PM »
Lovely Dennis! You've managed to capture the little Phonix in all its beauty, and the colour combination is great.
Very well done. 

Online Davos522

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2024, 02:02:21 PM »
Absolutely! I’m with E, this is a little gem. I’d love to see your collection in its entirety someday, Dennis, but unless you have a warehouse like Peter Jackson I don’t imagine it’s all on display at the same time :D

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2024, 07:00:36 PM »
A really neat and precise build, full of colour. I'm with you, which is why I love A-H subjects.

Offline djuggie

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 11:50:00 AM »
I want to thank every one for their positive comments on the Phonix A.  There are some rough spots but, all in all, it turned out ok.

Dave, anytime you find your self in the middle of Calif, let me know and I will arrange a tour.  No warehouse needed.

I have posted 2 photos of my display cases under "Completed Models" and you can see how to maximize a large number of kits in a small area.  On reason why my collection has grown is the fact that I have not moved in 30 years.  Models do not fare well in transit.

Dennis