Author Topic: Latest acquisition in your collection  (Read 367177 times)

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
Re: Latest acquisition in your collection
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2013, 04:40:51 AM »
 Oh I hope not.
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #181 on: January 27, 2013, 08:55:51 AM »
dun dun duuuuuuunnnnnn ;D

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #182 on: January 27, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
G'day.

Chris, Looks to me like you have more than just a passing interest in Austro-Hungarian aviation Dal. That's a nice collection of reading material.
It's more an interest in the Italian front, sparked when I was getting information on the SPAD XIII I have.  And a desire to broaden my WWI knowledge beyond the AIF and the Western Front ground and air battles..

Steve, The OConnor book is magnificent. Didnt know it was still in print.
It's not, mate.  I was lucky and found a copy in the UK, using addall.com.  Including postage it cost $102AUD, but there's little that tempts me more than a highly recommended book. 

Peter, that looks like a nice book.  Thanks for the heads up.

Gregory, Where did you find "Air Aces of the Austro- Hungarian Empire 1914-1918 at ?

I found quite a few copies at the following link and grabbed the one I could afford.  There was another copy for $70-odd AUD, but when I just checked they were all $90+.  I like addall, as it covers all the major reseller groups, not just one (eg ABE or Bibliophile).   
http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/submitRare.cgi?author=O%27Connor&title=Air+Aces+of+the+Austro-Hungarian+Empire%2C+1914-1918&keyword=&isbn=&order=PRICE&ordering=ASC&binding=Any+Binding&min=&max=&exclude=&match=Y&dispCurr=AUD&timeout=20&store=ABAA&store=Alibris&store=Abebooks&store=AbebooksAU&store=AbebooksDE&store=AbebooksFR&store=AbebooksUK&store=Amazon&store=AmazonCA&store=AmazonUK&store=AmazonDE&store=AmazonFR&store=Antiqbook&store=Biblio&store=BiblioUK&store=Bibliophile&store=Bibliopoly&store=Booksandcollectibles&store=ILAB&store=Half&store=LivreRareBook&store=Powells&store=Wbm&store=ZVAB

Bo and Steve, Maybe you loaned it to.... Dal!
Gawd, a bloke can't get away with anything around you two, can he?   :o

Methinks you doth protest my guilt a little too loudly, Bo.  Something to hide, perhaps? Don't worry,  I won't tell anyone, mate. :-X

Cheers.

Dal.

WarrenD

« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2013, 05:08:34 AM »
Good job on getting that one Dal!  ;D  I started buying up FMP books (always a good investment in terms of knowledge and value) back in the early 2000's. I, my wife, and son are all book-fiends. Sadly, I had to sell off a couple when I got laid off in 2011, but my books, like my firearms, will be the last possessions I part with.  The FMP book on A-H Army a/c is a good one too if you can find it.

I quit loaning out books years ago Gregory, after learning the hard way. Now, no one gets a book loaned, and I don't ask for others to loan me their either in fairness. I've had some folks get upset with me, but after losing some valuable books, I'm once bitten, twice shy.

Warren

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:37 AM »
I'm with you on the loaning policy, Warren. I have an original 3 Volume set of "The Great War in the Air" published in 1920; Vol. 4 is probably still with a former friend who doesn't admit to borrowing it. Makes my blood boil every time I look at the "broken" set in my bookcase!
Cheers,
Lance

mike in calif

« Reply #185 on: January 29, 2013, 02:01:24 AM »
I'm right there with you guys regarding "book loans".  I do however like book sales....
have you read: "A soldier of the Great War"? Once I started, I could not put it down.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 02:04:20 AM by mike in calif »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #186 on: January 29, 2013, 07:50:40 AM »
Not an acquisition but a gift.

A friend of mine gave me Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War 1, this is the book that they were not allowed to publish during the war years for fear of the enemy getting hold of it and finding out what aircraft they were up against, it was published after the war. This book covers just about every country with masses of period photos and specifications on a lot of the aircraft. There is also a great section on aero engines of the time with terrific photos and cutaway drawings, 320 pages of excellent reference material.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: January 29, 2013, 08:36:35 AM »
Not an acquisition but a gift.

A friend of mine gave me Jane's Fighting Aircraft of World War 1, this is the book that they were not allowed to publish during the war years for fear of the enemy getting hold of it and finding out what aircraft they were up against, it was published after the war. This book covers just about every country with masses of period photos and specifications on a lot of the aircraft. There is also a great section on aero engines of the time with terrific photos and cutaway drawings, 320 pages of excellent reference material.

Des.

It's an outstanding book, Des. I found one (reprinted edition 1990 by Military Press) in a second hand Bookstore for $30 and felt like a thief when I bought it! Great not so little reference.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2013, 01:08:36 AM »
  Oh my Red your Luftwaffe is showing my old friend. I certainly share your interest in JV44 and those beautiful red bellied FW 190 Dora's. Enjoy my friend.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline petero

« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2013, 12:19:28 AM »
That's around 5-6 weeks to get here - that must have been either on a boat or a very, very slow aeroplane.

WNW was closed from Dec 21 till Jan 15, so it's really only a couple of weeks.

Peter

Offline petero

« Reply #190 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:54 AM »
Sorry - in that case, it was very slow!

Peter

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2013, 02:27:47 AM »
WNW DH-2 arrived today - an unexpected gift.  What surprises me with this kit (as I had not looked into this in any great detail before) is that it is so much smaller than the Fe2B pusher.  Another spider web of rigging :)

Offline gcn

« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »
The dh2 is a fantastic kit, beautifully crafted, so much so I'm tempted to get a fe2b. That is after the Hannover, dvii, tripe and snipe get here.  ;D

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #193 on: February 05, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
First off, I got these bad boys in late January, having come in under the price-hike wire:

and

I'm not sure whether the proper reaction upon receiving one's first WnW kit is to genuflect or just feel small in the presence of greatness. I chose to fondle plastic like I was a 12 year old boy at his first dance.

Then, you may have seen a few posts ago, that I picked up an airbrush for a song. It may work more like a song by Justin Bieber, but before I destroyed $65 worth of kits, I picked up these guys at the LHS on which to practice:

And a sacrilegious, yet appropriately priced for a sacrificial paint lamb:

Both, aside from requiring the Large Hadron Collider to see them, are actually nicely detailed. The Hawk is an easy build kit, which means that I can get right down to the task at hand: teaching myself how to airbrush. So far, so fun.

The Eindekker, on the other hand, looks good enough that I might not want to offer it to the paint gods. I actually might want to build the thing. And post a build log. I don't know what's come over me, but it actually is a nice little kit, and its so small I might actually finish it in a decent amount of time. I don't know. We'll see.

Anyway, there you have my latest acquisitions!

LT

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #194 on: February 05, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »
Lindsey, for the price, the E.III is an excellent kit, if you're not too worried about interior detailing or thick-ish trailing edges etc... Use it for practice, then if you think it is a good enough kit to do a "proper build" then buy another.

gcn, get the Fee, if you can.  The model is superb, and you can either detail the engine etc yourself or there are AM options available.  The rigging looks a nightmare, especially from certain viewing angles, however it is more a case of quantity of relatively straightforward applications.  In fact, the whole kit is an assembly of (many) straightforward sub assemblies....