Author Topic: Colourful Camel, Eduard 1/48  (Read 1946 times)

Offline NigelR

Re: Colourful Camel, Eduard 1/48
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2024, 06:14:32 PM »
This is coming along beautifully. It's looking really good, the masking has worked really well. Well worth the effort!

With my punch set I can place the decal and then turn the punch around and align it optically before punching. It works, meaning it produces ok results, but it's usually not perfectly centred. The bigger problem is that punching with this kind of punch tends to rupture the edges, the leather punch might be better there?!
The leather punch is much better once you have mastered how it works. It has a twisting action which cuts through the decals much more cleanly and doesn't need a huge amount of pressure.

I'm not sure I told you, but I have a deadline to meet and it's about a week and a half away. I think I will be able to meet it, given that I got the top wing in place yesterday.
What's the deadline? A show somewhere.......?

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2024, 09:34:35 PM »
Absolute beauty on the making. I wish I had so much patience with masking.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2024, 09:38:01 PM »
Beautifully clean work. And as someone who's deeply involved in learning the art of decal design I can appreciate the labor involved in this process all too well. You're doing an amazing job.

Dutch
(and I'm really looking forward to seeing a Camel with the prop from a BF-109! How cool is that going to be? ;D )

Offline FAf

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2024, 06:51:54 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!

Nigel:
I suspected that about your punch, but as i don't see myself punching lots of decals in the future, I'll hold off buying a Japanese leather punch for a bit. Good to know about them though!

And yes the deadline is a show/contest. There are only a few larger events here in Sweden and this particular one is making a return after being cancelled last year. New name, new venue, new format - but it'll be fun!

Prezmo:
I'm not sure this one needs more patience than your DH.9, but I usually find the patience rewarded when you take the masks off.

Dutch:
Oh yes, and don't forget the Fw 190 ailerons and wheel hatched (there's got to be another term here?!). You can see them in the top left corner of the last image, all painted and ready to fit. It'll be a very special Camel... 😁😁😁

/F

Offline NigelR

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2024, 06:53:55 PM »
And yes the deadline is a show/contest. There are only a few larger events here in Sweden and this particular one is making a return after being cancelled last year. New name, new venue, new format - but it'll be fun!
Excellent, I enjoy exhibiting at shows. Hope you get it done in time.... I was trying to get my Strutter done for a show this weekend but have failed. However, I have another show the following weekend and it WILL be done by then (he says.....).

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2024, 09:43:56 PM »
Love the scheme and how amazingly you pulled it off so far! Stunning  :D
//Ben

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2024, 05:29:13 AM »
I'm not sure I told you, but I have a deadline to meet and it's about a week and a half away. I think I will be able to meet it

Airplane good luck by Zac Yates, on Flickr
Zac in NZ

Offline FAf

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2024, 01:49:41 AM »
Thanks Nigel, Ben and Zac! If you were at all anxious about me getting it finished on time, you can relax now. She is finished!

Excellent, I enjoy exhibiting at shows. Hope you get it done in time.... I was trying to get my Strutter done for a show this weekend but have failed. However, I have another show the following weekend and it WILL be done by then (he says.....).

With only a few models shows, the cost of missing a deadline is of course higher... so I suggest that you would have finished the Strutter for this weekend if you only had the one show. The abundance of model shows in your vicinity is obviously a problem here. :D

So, I started this build on February 21. and finished it today, April 6. That's probably one of my fastest builds in modern times. Towards the end, it's all about the lite bits and pieces and one such piece is the "acorn" suspended in mid air. I came to the conclusion that things would be easier if the lines could be tightened by pulling them through rather than looped back, so I drilled fairly large holes in the firewall so that the rigging lines could be pulled through them. That way I only had to align the acorn in the centre as I attached the top wires and then the acorn could be manouvered into position by pulling the lower wires until it looked right. Finally furnace tape was placed on top of the firewall to mask my drill holes.

One close up shot of the Gaspatch Models RAF turnbuckles in situ. There are 104 tunrbuckles (yes, I know they aren't really turnbuckles) in a pack and I got a new one for this build. There are now only about 20 left. It's always quite fascinating how many attachement points and how much fishing line you use even with a fairly small model like this.

And a few pictures of the finished model. There's almost no weathering on this model, do you think I should add some?!

I will now try to finish three more models before next Saturday, all of them German WWII planes. And then I might possibly get back to my R.E.8 as my next WWI build.
/F

Offline acewwi

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2024, 02:45:35 AM »
Congrats Fredrik,
outstanding in every way.
Spyros

Offline Edo

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 05:36:06 PM »
wow!
a real gem!
the masterpiece of any collection!

ciao
edo

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2024, 05:03:50 AM »
Wow! Stunning model! Impressive in such a short time!  :D
//Ben

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 03:19:08 AM »
What a beautiful build!  The paintwork is amazing and the rigging is top notch!
Well done!

Offline Softscience

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2024, 08:59:29 AM »
My goodness, that's awesome. And a great how-to as well? Thanks so much for sharing!

Offline NigelR

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 06:22:35 PM »
This looks absolutely superb, you should be very pleased with the result. And you got it done in time, I'm sure it will get a lot of attention at your show.

I wouldn't weather it. I just looked at pictures of the original and it looks pristine, not even dust/dirt on the tyres.

With only a few models shows, the cost of missing a deadline is of course higher... so I suggest that you would have finished the Strutter for this weekend if you only had the one show. The abundance of model shows in your vicinity is obviously a problem here. :D
In my case it's too many shows, not enough finished models! But it's a nice problem to have.

Offline FAf

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2024, 05:08:22 PM »
Thanks for all of you positive comments and energy!
The show is over and it was a good show in its new smaller format. No judges this time. Instead every participant was asked to note down their first, second and third place in each category. The Camel was in class: Aircraft, 1/48, other. That means that every aircraft in that scale that wasn't a German or an Allied aircraft ended up there. The Camel got a silver and the class was a clean sweep for WWI models.

Cheers
Fredrik