Author Topic: Merit 1/24 SE5a : A beginners journey  (Read 12868 times)

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Re: Merit 1/24 SE5a : A beginners journey
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »
I will watch carefully. I got the counterpart Fokker DrI in my stash, will watch how it fits.
I which you lots of modeling fun with this kit.
Manfred
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2016, 07:39:33 PM »
thanks for those sprue shots Dino. Looks a mixed bag, some nice detail and some crudely done areas. I must say its tempting to get one myself but might plump for the Fokker, wrong engine or not. Or one of each for the stash... lol

Looking forwards to your next informative post.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Online RAGIII

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »
Like Lance said the photos show some really nice detail and some not as good. It seems you are well on your way to making this one look great! As for your questions:
1. Most if not all War Time SE5as' used a simple lap belt, not a Sutton harness as often is depicted. I think WNW instructions show this arrangement. Use paper, Lead foil from a wine bottle, or as one modeler recently showed us, Tea Bags to make the belt. I think some wire bent to shape would work for the buckles, perhaps augmented by some plastic sheet as needed.

2. Two simple disks of the right diameter  with a smaller one in between and wire leading in the right direction should suffice. To simulate the clear covering either very thin clear plastic, scotch tape, or as Bud did in 1/48th, fill with a good clear drying epoxy.

3. I know there are decal makers out there but can't think of one now. On the other hand someone recently posted a link to Miracle Masks, a very practical  idea for painting the markings in 1/24th.

http://www.freewebs.com/miraclemasks/

I hope this helps and am sure others will chime in.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 11:38:12 PM »
Here is the link to Borsos' Albie build where he used the tea bags for his seat belts:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7155.msg132965#msg132965

As you can see, they look fantastic.  The tricky bit for you might be finding the photo-etch parts, but as I am not familiar with the 1/24 scale market, perhaps this isn't an issue.

Good luck, everything looks great so far.

Chris

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 08:38:16 AM »
As Chris has said, using tea bags for the seat belts gives a very realistic fabric effect to the belts.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline dinor

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2016, 07:29:30 PM »
Hello Everyone, time for a short update, progress has been slow..I did warn you ...but my excuse has been that we have had some fantastic mild Autumnal weather here in Sydney and I have been out flying my 1/4 RC Piper Cub and Extra ( couple of flying pics attached)

Anyway back to work....Fuselage halves have been joined, I had a very troublesome time with the top forward section not quite fitting snugly, also had to notch some of the bearers in the assembly to ensure a snug fit of the halves. Again don't take this, or the abundance of filler, as any form of shortcoming in the kit, much more probably it is my skills. Also in the process of ensuring a fit of the headrest back into the turtleneck I was forced to remove the wood staining in that area. I have not yet redone it but I am getting quite comfortable with my skills in this area so I am not too concerned.

All the ailerons, elevators etc have been joined and the tail feathers added, the elevator and Rudder are only blue tacked on at this stage ...should I paint them separately or whilst on the model?.....I am thinking the later but would welcome advice into what the 'normal' process would be.

Glued a number of other bits and pieces such as undercarriage and wheels which will be put aside until later.

I need advice on how to tackle the rigging especially the turnbuckles as after extensive searching there seem to be no after market turnbuckles in 1/24.....a link to a how to or any other such advice would be most welcome.

I will use Bo's technique on the machine gun, and Will follow BErtls tutorial for treatment of the exhaust.
Finally I am torn on paint schemes... I am really attracted to the all red of Leslie Holden as per Post #1 but I wonder if it may be 'too much red' .... I am thinking of a light misting of white and some strategic weathering will tone it down a bit.... however a traditional scheme as per the model box art will provide more of a challenge re developing skills pre shading, rib caps trips etc etc....what do you all think ?

Anyway, there is progress !!

Dino

NB : Sorry Des for the poor background, my intended background had an accident..blame the dog  :D

« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 08:08:25 PM by dinor »

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 12:51:44 AM »
Looking very good so far Dino.  Well done. 

Chris

p.s. the Piper is a beauty.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 08:19:36 AM »
The Se.5a is coming along beautifully, looking forward to seeing the next progress photos.

Nice looking Cub, brings back memories of when I flew mine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 08:34:41 AM »
Great progress on your SE! I am looking forward to the next update!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »
Very good progress, it is going to be a beauty!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 01:45:52 AM »
Excellent progress.  Looking forward to more.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 03:06:39 AM »
Dino,
   I use 1:48 Scale GasPatch turnbuckles for my 1;32 models as I find the 1;32 product too large in appearance but the 1;48 version looks "just right". I wonder if the 1:32 ones might just prove the right size for your 1:24 model, I'd certainly look into it.
   This Build is progressing very well, nicely done so far!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dinor

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2016, 04:45:53 PM »

He'll everyone...some progress....

Fuz is joined, as are all the wing halves and tail feathers I made some pulleys for the wings from filed down bolt heads but these are not visible under the liquid masking.

Struts are stained as are the exhausts and all parts are undercoated.

An issue I have is that my chosen scheme belongs to a Wolsely version whereas the Merit kit is a Hisso... It won't be exactly accurate but sine the photos I have filled the indents at the front and rear of each cylinder which the fairings would have covered, the engine will be fully exposed ... the cylinder heads and radiator grills are slightly different but I can live with it.

A local decal maker is preparing quotes for the side and tail decals....we shall see otherwise I will be practising my hand painting skills !

A question, I think I need to preshade between the ribs at this point so the all red will have some 'depth'....... Should I use a Black or a Reddy Brown?...can anyone give me a link to a thread where something similar has been done.

Many Thanks Dino

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2016, 01:45:37 AM »
Moving along nicely!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2016, 03:58:20 AM »
Looking good!  Can't wait to see the next update.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence