Author Topic: Mark IV Male 1/144 Brengun  (Read 1749 times)

Offline ondra

Re: Mark IV Male 1/144 Brengun
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2024, 04:05:25 PM »
I'm sorry, Drooling Bulldog??? Is that a company, or actually part of the name of the color?

And this is an absolutely beautiful model... I'm in awe of your abilities, and those of the other 1:144 magicians that seem to be making their presence felt here on the Forum.

Dutch
Many thanks for your generous comments, gentlemen!

Dutch: Drooling Bulldog is a company specializing on selling WWI paints. I really love them due to their super fine pigment allowing for very subtle airbrush tricks. E. g. the preshading on Mark IV was done using highly thinnes Drooling Bulldog Umbraun with Iwatta 0.15 nozzle. On top, they are lacquer based so they work well with Mr. Color. Last but not least, they are idiot proof, which comes in handy in my case. :)

In a nuthsell, best paints I have ever worked with.

As to the company name - the owner is a friend of mine and named the brand after his fellow english bulldog Bernie. As the both of us are non-native speakers, we only found out the connotation later. :)

Cheers

Ondra

Offline NigelR

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2024, 07:03:31 PM »
I'm sorry, Drooling Bulldog??? Is that a company, or actually part of the name of the color?
A pretty serious attempt to produce "accurate" WWI paint colours, see here: https://drooling-bulldog.webnode.cz/zaklad/

Offline ondra

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2024, 04:24:11 PM »
Yhis is what she looks like now with grease and rust streaks applied. Now I will have to wait for it to cure and apply a layer of flat coat before the next step - pigments.

Cheers.

Ondra

Offline ondra

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2024, 01:57:54 AM »
She got a coat of flat varnish and metal parts have been painted with polishable past. For a while she will be on a stand by, since I have to wait with pigments until I have made up my mind on the vignette.

Cheers!

Ondra

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2024, 03:01:43 AM »
Very nice work young man. Looking forward to seeing her in a natural setting  :)

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline ondra

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2024, 04:12:09 AM »
Many thanks for your encouraging comment, Paul! I am also looking forward to seeing her in the vignette, but first I will have to study tons of tutorials. :)

In between I am getting closer to finishing the Mark IV - unditching beam has been chained in place and I made new gun barrels.

The resin parts in the kit are definitely not bad, but they are hitting the limits of the technology used, so I decided to turn my Micromote into a Microlathe and turned new barrels of the 57 cannons out of a brass tube.

Next up is rust.

Cheers.

Ondra

Online Davos522

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2024, 09:14:34 AM »
This just keeps getting better and better... beautiful work, those barrels are stunning.

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2024, 06:38:10 PM »
Now that really does look amazing. The unditching beam looks really good and the overall model has come together superbly. Nice work on those barrels as well.

Offline ondra

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2024, 02:24:00 PM »
Thank you very much for your generous comments, Dutch and Nigel, I really appreciate them!

I painted the barrels using Agama polishable metal pastes and added rust. I decided to experiment on the rust with a mixture of burnt and natural sienna. When the paint was just next to cured, I used a small stiff brush to stipple brick orange pigment into it. The result looks acceptable to me.

The bad news is I ran out of excuses for putting off the work on the vignette. :)

Thanks to the advice from fellow modellers I think I have finally figured out how Hyacinth got into this position, now I just have to keep studying tutorials to do this unique photo justice.

Cheers

Ondra

Offline NigelR

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2024, 06:31:56 PM »
Looking very nice indeed. I can't wait to see how you approach the vignette, as I am a huge fan of dioramas and vignettes.

Just a minor point, the barrels of the 6 inch guns were painted the same colour as the tank. I can't really tell form the photos if they have an all over metallic finish or not.....