Author Topic: SE.5a 'Hisso' WNW 1/32  (Read 12831 times)

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
Re: SE.5a 'Hisso' WNW 1/32
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 09:04:03 AM »
Your fuselage wood work looks outstanding! You are already tempting me to pull out my WNW SE5a  ;D As for the wing structure I will do a little digging but my instinct says ply covered with fabric. I could be very wrong so Again I will look at some reference books  ::)
RAGIII

Thanks Rick!!!! As for that wing - no rush. Im still waiting for Aviattic linen decals. Once I receive them I will be in rush because I will be despaired to put them on :D ;)

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »
Excellent progress, Lukas  :)
The instrument panel and the wood tones you have produced are 1st class - Well done!!
I'm looking forward to seeing more updates from you.

Cheers,
Von B

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline LukasTheLight

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2016, 05:56:45 PM »
Excellent progress, Lukas  :)
The instrument panel and the wood tones you have produced are 1st class - Well done!!
I'm looking forward to seeing more updates from you.

Cheers,
Von B

Thank you Von B!!!! ;)

Well here it is... did some work on top wing while waiting for Aviattic linen decals... I hope that it will turn out well... middle section to be done tomorrow, hopefully... :)

Cheerio
Lukas

Lukas

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2016, 07:57:02 PM »
Very nice progress on this SE.5a, Lukas.
One question - did you remove that imitation of internal bracing from cockpit sides?
And as for your question on upper centre-section, the TVAL site has an answer coinsiding with what Rick already wrote:
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/vintage-aviator-se-5as
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline LukasTheLight

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 09:02:22 PM »
Very nice progress on this SE.5a, Lukas.
One question - did you remove that imitation of internal bracing from cockpit sides?
And as for your question on upper centre-section, the TVAL site has an answer coinsiding with what Rick already wrote:
http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/projects/se-5a-reproduction/vintage-aviator-se-5as

Thank you so much for the link!!! I actually happened to find that picture few hours ago :) Glad you like my progress - from PrzemoL himself that is a honour!!! Thank you!

And yes I did remove thos wires. I'm waiting for Aviattic decals not just for wings but also for interior, once thats done I will use guitar string as internal bracing :) Should look better...

Cheerio
Lukas

Lukas

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 09:11:28 PM »

And yes I did remove thos wires. I'm waiting for Aviattic decals not just for wings but also for interior, once thats done I will use guitar string as internal bracing :) Should look better...

Cheerio
Lukas

Thank you, Lukas for the reply. It will certainly look much better with replaced bracing. I have this kit in my plans for this year and I will do the same.
One more question, yet, about the instrument panel - have you added some aftermarket bezels? Your version looks fantastic, very much improved when compared to the original kit part.

BTW, I have bought this kit only recently and as a relative late comer to WNW frenzy I am shocked how they managed to improve the quality during these short years of their existence in the market. Even the instruction book for SE.5a, as rich as it is, looks so modest when compared to those in newer kits, like Snipe I am currently building.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2016, 12:02:14 AM »
Lukas,
Your wing is turning out very well! Very nice usage of the Linen decals. Sorry I didn't get back to you to confirm the Center wing structure. As stated and shown in the link it was ply covered with fabric as I thought. Only the SE5 aircraft as originally designed had a different arrangement prior to removing the fuel tank from the topside of the upper wing and making it internal, along with mounting the Lewis on top. This change required the ply to secure the tank and gun to.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2016, 02:52:47 AM »
Excellent start, Lukas!  Your wood tones and the underwing shading are superb as is your instrument panel.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline LukasTheLight

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »

Cheerio
Lukas

Thank you, Lukas for the reply. It will certainly look much better with replaced bracing. I have this kit in my plans for this year and I will do the same.
One more question, yet, about the instrument panel - have you added some aftermarket bezels? Your version looks fantastic, very much improved when compared to the original kit part.

BTW, I have bought this kit only recently and as a relative late comer to WNW frenzy I am shocked how they managed to improve the quality during these short years of their existence in the market. Even the instruction book for SE.5a, as rich as it is, looks so modest when compared to those in newer kits, like Snipe I am currently building.

Prze! Hello again, no problem with replies ;) I did use aftermarket bezels from HGW and some from Airscale + I have old puncher set that I used for getting that glass for the instruments - nothing that you wouldn't be able to produce ;)

Same with me, I bought this one just before Christmas and agree with you 100%, those new ones are so different... I guess WNW future will be only brighter :)

Lukas,
Your wing is turning out very well! Very nice usage of the Linen decals. Sorry I didn't get back to you to confirm the Center wing structure. As stated and shown in the link it was ply covered with fabric as I thought. Only the SE5 aircraft as originally designed had a different arrangement prior to removing the fuel tank from the topside of the upper wing and making it internal, along with mounting the Lewis on top. This change required the ply to secure the tank and gun to.
RAGIII

No worries, as I said, no rush, Im still waiting for decals and will be only working on the middle section this weekend :)

Excellent start, Lukas!  Your wood tones and the underwing shading are superb as is your instrument panel.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Bud! Glad you like them!!! :)

Cheerio
Lukas

Lukas

Offline LukasTheLight

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2016, 02:56:10 PM »
Hello gentleman!!!!

10km of masking tape and some tailoring with Aviattic decals - thank you Richard!!!! ;)

Cheerio
Lukas

Lukas

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2016, 04:12:51 PM »
Awesome work on the preshading, Lukas!  Those Aviattic CDL decals are fantastic.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 05:56:05 PM »
Lovely work on that wing Lukas - you've convinced me to get some Aviattic linen decal - a trip to Hannants is in order I fear  :)

Keep it coming,

Tug

Offline LukasTheLight

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 08:50:12 PM »
Awesome work on the preshading, Lukas!  Those Aviattic CDL decals are fantastic.
Cheers,
Bud

Thanks Bud! Those decals are unbelievable and so thin!!! Im hoping to do rib tapes tomorrow :)

Lovely work on that wing Lukas - you've convinced me to get some Aviattic linen decal - a trip to Hannants is in order I fear  :)

Keep it coming,

Tug

I can guarantee you won't be disappointed... and I'm not taking any responsibility for your trip to Hannants (or your fear for that matter) :) That one is in Colindale, right?

Cheerio
Lukas

Lukas

Offline Oeli

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2016, 04:44:55 AM »
Hi Lukas,

awesome work! Chapeau  :D

Especially the linen decals I like very much. That seems to be something for my DH.2.

Kindly Regards from Berlin

Jörg
Normality is a beautiful paved road, but it grow no flowers on her.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 05:21:36 AM »
Very beautiful!