Author Topic: A pair of 1/48 Halberstadts  (Read 15864 times)

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: A pair of 1/48 Halberstadts
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:52 AM »
Thanks, Mark!  Although we moved farther east into the Sierra foothills, we've also move farther south, placing us just a tad closer to Pleasanton.  About 85 miles.  If you find yourselves with a spare day on your hands, come on out and we'll take you on a tour of the gold mining country as well as some exceptional dining and shopping in Sutter Creek, about 10 miles from us.  If you and your wife play golf (my wife and I don't), bring your clubs.  We live on a beautiful golf course, Castle Oaks.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Vladimir Ziska

• Nordland Models
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2013, 04:29:22 PM »
Hello Bud,

very nice work, great. :)

Cheers,

Vladimir

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 05:27:17 PM »
Sorry Bud, only just caught up with this thread.. Lovely lozenge work! I've just ordered another kit and will be using lozenge for the first time - so this is very useful..

I guess you're used to the heat where you are - everyone in the UK is melting and it's only around 28 deg C..  ;D

Nice to see your workstation - perhaps we ought to start a thread..

Cheers

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
Hello Bud,

very nice work, great. :)

Cheers,

Vladimir
Thanks, Vladimir!  Your decals are brilliant! 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2013, 12:56:33 AM »
 Bud,                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Welcome back and I'm happy to read your move went well my old friend. Love your new work area too. Outstanding job on your lozenge application and such beautiful results.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
Sorry Bud, only just caught up with this thread.. Lovely lozenge work! I've just ordered another kit and will be using lozenge for the first time - so this is very useful..

I guess you're used to the heat where you are - everyone in the UK is melting and it's only around 28 deg C..  ;D

Nice to see your workstation - perhaps we ought to start a thread..

Cheers

Guy
Thanks, Guy!  I look forward to seeing your lozenge project.  You can't go wrong with either Wood and Wire or Aviattic. 
You never get used to this kind of heat, mate.  Today we will hit 103 F, or 39.4 C.  Tomorrow will be 105.  A couple weeks back, it was 110-115.  This summer, the average has been around 95-98.  Paint dries really fast here.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2013, 01:03:02 AM »
Bud,                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Welcome back and I'm happy to read your move went well my old friend. Love your new work area too. Outstanding job on your lozenge application and such beautiful results.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Thanks, Gregory!  It's always great to have you along for the ride, my old friend.  The work station's a bit cluttered at the moment, but a dual build will do that, won't it. ;)
Cheers,
Bud

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »
looking great bud. every time i see another example of the new lozenge it adds to my confusion. the wood and wire stuff looks great here. sometimes it looks like the fabric texture is too intense. i have examples of the aviattic stuff which looks just right in person. i guess its time i bought some wood and wire, put some of each on 2 diff planes and then did the final judgement. glad to see you at the bench again.

Offline Vladimir Ziska

• Nordland Models
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2013, 09:26:18 PM »
Hello,

For the model for an authentic scale, must all highlight. I structure the canvas. It will add to the model, then depth and contrast. Had always been followed as in real life, then the model did not have a life. When converting canvas structure for 1:32 scale and mainly for scale 1:48, then the texture would not be seen at all. But the model would be dull, uninteresting. On the contrary, if you highlight details, like canvas or use Wash, fading, preshading and model gets 3D view.

Cheers,

Vladimir

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2013, 01:01:35 AM »
yes i agree vladimir, this is why i must place an order for your lozenge as well. i have aviattic and it looks great. but i need to look side to side in person to make the final judgement. i always think of a model as a performance. just like male actors on stage wear make up on the face to exaggerate the face features. i think modellers have to exaggerate the details so they dont get lost. the accents make the difference between a model that looks like a toy or a model that looks like a miniature version of a real great war aircraft.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:30 AM »
Thanks, Scott, and thank you, Vladimir, for producing such terrific decals.  I love the depth the fabric texture provides and I don't feel it's out of scale for 1/48.  The underside ribs were shaded with pastels and I'll be doing the same with the top surfaces once all of the rib tapes have been added.  It hasn't degraded the fabric effect at all, as far as I can tell.
I've been slaving away on the lozenge pretty steadily and snapped a shot of where I am thus far.  I have all of the lozenge bolts done and most of the rib tapes on the 5 color loz (just a little edging left).  5 color on top (Halb.) and 4 color on the bottom (Rol.).  I'm in the middle of lozenge hell (or lozenge heaven, depending on your perspective).  ;)

Cheers,
Bud

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »
Looking really beautiful Bud! Terrific work with the Lozenge!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2013, 12:21:36 PM »
You're doing a great job on the lozenge, Bud!
Really enjoying the updates and pictures of your build.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Zabu

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2013, 08:40:20 AM »
So nicely done that lozenge.
Great job there.

Cheers

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »
Thank you, Rick, Ernie and Zabu!  I'm struggling to fight lozenge burn-out :-[.
Cheers,
Bud