Author Topic: Wing Fixing  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Gisbod

Wing Fixing
« on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:30 PM »
Hello all,

I’ve recently had issues fixing top wings on a smaller (non-Wingnuts) kit. I just seem to really struggle...

I’ve had some feedback on the build thread and as a result I’ve ordered a jig (JH Models no.4802). Hopefully this will help, but any more tips on:

What glue do you use? (superglue seems too brittle in my experience).

Do you paint first then glue?

Any specific tips on how you go about it?

I know it’s pretty basic, but I just can’t seem to nail it!

Thanks

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Ryan

Re: Wing Fixing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:52 PM »
Guy, I have been bitten by super glued components many times, currently I only use solvent glues for major construction and regulate super glue to filling seams and only tacking on very small parts.

You cant pull super glued parts from each other, but they can shear quite easily.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
Guy,
     I've recently switched to a simple 5 Minute Epoxy for all of my wing/strut work. I was finding that CA Glue set up too quickly to allow for adjustments if required. The epoxy offers the strength required with the luxury of a few minutes of "wiggle" time before it sets.
   I always complete the painting of the struts and wing and decaling as well before assembly and, where practical, like to do the "fore and aft' or longitudinal cross bracing between the bay strut pairs and the cabanes as well before the upper wing goes on. On other then Wingnut Wings Kits I also like to "pin" the struts if at all possible. Last, I add the ailerons and rear control surfaces after the wing is installed and fully rigged to avoid knocking them off during the foregoing steps.
   For all of this I prefer to have the model locked into a jig, the sweep or stagger preset, and the space between the wings set as well; minor adjustments can follow as the struts are installed. Normally I set the center or cabanes first and then follow with the "Bay" or main struts. On several of the Roden subjects I've done I've found that very small additions or trimming of the struts has been required to get the assembly all squared up and symmetrical.
   It is a bit of a "black art" alright, and I find tongue biting and lip curling helps a lot! Last, it offers a great opportunity to exercise your vocabulary, it's good for the soul! I hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 12:26:41 AM »
Guy this builders has a great method of setting the top wing.

https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8779.msg181179#new

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 01:17:18 AM »
Lance & Ryan,

Thank you so much for taking the time to help! That’s very useful indeed. I’m hoping the jig will be a ‘solve all’ but I realise that realistically there’s still going to be lots of care & effort (and swearing  :-X) involved..

Fingers crossed.

Guy

Bughunter

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 02:30:02 AM »
You know that I replace the kit struts sometimes by wooden struts. Especially in this case but also the kit ones I use often the following method: I drill with 0,3mm in the struts and the wings (sometimes big holes in wings have to be closed with stretched sprue). The I paint the wings and plug it onto the pins. It holds already without glue, a little bit of CA secures struts and wings.
The "only" risk is to scratch the wing painting with one of the brass pins.
It is also possible to align struts and wings (in a very limited range) because the brass could be bend.
See for example my build report of the Pfalz Triplane: https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=8654.0

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 03:46:35 AM »
That’s great Frank, thanks..

Awesome build!

Guy

Offline krow113

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:53:15 AM »
Lots of ways to do things...
On this little beastie I used steel wire for the struts as the kit supplied struts were for decorative purpose' only.
The steel wire was wrapped in white sign vinyl and that was cut to shape. Easy enough and worked great in 1/72 scale. All of the struts were done this way.

Super glue was used to secure .
And I will say this about SG it does fail if not stored correctly and its adhesive qualities fade out gradually. That's my own personal observation.
I store my SG in sealed canister with lots of packets of dessicant absorbents that come in all sorts of things now.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:06:29 AM »
That’s interesting Steve, I hadn’t realised that about Superglue.

I do have some stiff wire that would do the trick nicely. Although I can’t quite see how the wrapping in vinyl works?

Guy

Offline krow113

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 04:45:56 AM »
Take the  wire and wrap a strip of vinyl lengthways on it .
Like rolling a cigarette.
Clamp it to help adhesion.
I used bulldog clips and my etchmate.
Cut to length and trim the ends. I gains an airfoil , teardrop shape naturally.
The vinyl takes paint nicely too.
Gloss white hi-po vinyl , ask a signguy for some scraps.

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 05:27:56 AM »
Ah, thanks Steve... ingenious!

Guy