Author Topic: Revell 1:28 Spad XIII as Luke's plane, at least the one he was photographed near  (Read 18331 times)

Offline smperry

Thank you Rick.
I must note that after doing the 4 mainplane struts, the key to getting the tracing paper stuck down and semi see thru is to have 1 or 2 coats of Future/Pledge on the painted strut. The soaked strip of tracing paper softens the dry coat of Future and you press the strip on and it holds the saturated paper strip down. Acts like it doesn't want to go and then all of a sudden it sticks. Kinda cool.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

The struts are finished. The aileron control rod and horn may be the wrong color. I was going with blue shows up light on Ortho film. More looking and checking is in order.
sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
I have a book on the SPAD VII that describes all of the wooden parts as being 'marouflaged'. By that they mean entirely wrapped in fabric and then doped

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline smperry

Richard
That may well be. A single layer of linen doped or varnished might be nearly invisible. I epoxy light fiberglass cloth onto balsa sheets for something light and strong in RC planes and you have to really look hard to see the cloth. I hadn't heard of it, but if they gave it a name, there is likely something to it.
sp

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
https://www.diatex.com/activities-services/light-aircraft-division/simplified-method-of-covering-marouflage/

Assuming that is the case, I'm planning to paint the struts and tailskid as there wouldn't be any wood visible. I think that matches pictures of the preserved aeroplanes too

Richard

Online RAGIII

The struts look great to Me! I was looking through My SPAD VII bible and did find one that looked as though the struts "Might" have been painted. Oddly enough I think it was Guynemers S254 or the Baracca SPAD in Italy. Already forgot  :o
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
The struts look great to Me! I was looking through My SPAD VII bible and did find one that looked as though the struts "Might" have been painted. Oddly enough I think it was Guynemers S254 or the Baracca SPAD in Italy. Already forgot  :o
RAGIII

That's fighting talk - right, I'm going to go and research a million pictures to prove you wrong!!

Oh....

Yes, you're right

This is Guynemers SPAD VII:

The wing struts are indeed varnished wood

The cabane stuts are marouflaged and painted

I had half remembered

Richard

Online RAGIII

RAGIII

That's fighting talk - right, I'm going to go and research a million pictures to prove you wrong!!

Oh....

Yes, you're right

The wing struts are indeed varnished wood

The cabane stuts are marouflaged and painted

I had half remembered

Richard

Richard, I am only partially right also on that one  ;D I think you have the same SPAD VII Bible that I do. Check the Photos of that Italian Aces Aircraft I mentioned. Perhaps this subject would make a good thread in the Information section?
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger

Richard, I am only partially right also on that one  ;D I think you have the same SPAD VII Bible that I do. Check the Photos of that Italian Aces Aircraft I mentioned. Perhaps this subject would make a good thread in the Information section?
RAGIII

"Marouflage - they can't touch you for it!'

Richard

Offline smperry

Marouflage...Sounds like some dreadful skin condition that is a side effect of Covid19.

sp

Offline smperry

I have gotten frustrated with this kit and have decided to put it aside for a while. I found an old directory containing photos of my first 1:28 Revell Spad build. I will have to go through them carefully and determine if the current effort is worth continuing.

I sure have appreciated all the support and encouragement I have received, but I need to let this kit set until I can look at it objectively and do what needs to be done to finish the model.
sp

Offline RichieW

Better to put it to one side than to continue, not enjoy it and as a result not do your best work. Sorry to see it stalled but look forward to seeing you finish it when you are ready. I have 5 kits on the shelf at the moment.

Online RAGIII

Better to put it to one side than to continue, not enjoy it and as a result not do your best work. Sorry to see it stalled but look forward to seeing you finish it when you are ready. I have 5 kits on the shelf at the moment.

I agree with Richard but will add I am sorry to hear it has become a "Frustrating" build! I hope to see you back on it someday sooner than later!
RAGIII

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
I have gotten frustrated with this kit and have decided to put it aside for a while. I found an old directory containing photos of my first 1:28 Revell Spad build. I will have to go through them carefully and determine if the current effort is worth continuing.

I sure have appreciated all the support and encouragement I have received, but I need to let this kit set until I can look at it objectively and do what needs to be done to finish the model.
sp

Quite understandable, this is a hobby and it is supposed to be enjoyable (apparently)

I would say I'm disappointed as I could see the three SPAD builds (Yours, Ricks and mine) crossing the line at about the same time, and I have been enjoying our journey together. And my disappointment isn't a reason for you to slog on with a build you are not enjoying

Richard

Offline FAf

It happens all the time to me... The interesting thing is what a different view you can get by letting a model mature for a bit.
/Fredrik