Author Topic: Rigging...why not plug and play?  (Read 1656 times)

Offline Vicious

Rigging...why not plug and play?
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:02:40 AM »
I have a newbie question from someone  has never done any rigging ... I have EZ-line black fine and being very elastic in my perverted mind I keep asking me "why i am the only one that think to do like that"... (and if nobody does a "why" it will be there) ... I thought to measure with the caliber all the rigging lines prepare them first one by one with turnbuckes and anchor points etc...all 5-10mm shorter, prepare the holes and then when the wings are ready (paint, decals, etc ... ) glue the anchor points with already the rigging ready on the upper wing, glue the wings and finally glue the turnbukles with already everything ready and attached to the lower wing, without having to become crazy to work between the narrow space of the wings,"Plug-and-play", reducing frustration to the bare minimum ... in theory it should work ... in theory ... if the lines are all shorter the same ,say 5mm, the rigging lines when pulled should all have the same thickness ..... ok if you understand what i means now is the time when you wise man's say "mate that's just fantasy does't work"... I am ready to be stoned as a heretic! ... ???

i dont know why but it's all morning i have this part of Bohemian Rhapsody on my head and sound like the answer to my question to me...
"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality
Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy
Because I'm easy come, easy go, little high, little low...."... :o ...maybe the god of modelling want tell me something... :-\
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:10:29 AM by Vicious »

Offline Softscience

Re: Rigging...why not plug and play?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »
Hmm. I can't see why it shouldn't work. Could reduce misaligned turnbuckles too.

Offline Vicious

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2018, 03:43:00 PM »
oh...finally an answer... ;)... I had not thought about that, I'm just a bit 'doubtful because I'm reading all I can about the various rigging techniques and not only, partly for me and partly because I do not like to ask questions that have already been treated a million times , but both here and on books and other forums I have not found anyone who has used or even hinted at this method ... and makes me think that or I am an absolute genius ...  ;D ...but i dont think so... ::).... or there is some hidden difficulty that I do not see ... in my head would make everything easier and faster to run, brass tube, turnbuckles etc ....as soon as I have time, I'll try and build 2 rigging build a fake wings with some plasticard and see what happens... :o

Bughunter

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 01:33:38 AM »
I work already a bit in that direction, but I still have the possibility to control the strain.

Here pictures and test from my build report of the Pfalz Triplane:

A good preparation saves time and avoid losing the small parts: 10 turnbuckles type "Albatros" and brass pipes.

I strongly suggest the newbies to read some build reports (use search function) here.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline Vicious

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 08:22:09 AM »
Good point Bughunter!...i don think about that,i can leave one side little bit loose without glue,maybe just a little knot to dont loose the brass tube etc.. and then give the last pull and glue the Ez-line

At the moment i am reading the 27 pages of Hint and Tips ... :o...i nearly finished