Author Topic: Your tributes on the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice 1918  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Your tributes on the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice 1918
« on: November 11, 2018, 12:03:22 PM »
At 11am on this date, November 11, 1918 – 100 years ago today- the guns on the Western Front fell silent and the First World War finally came to an end.

Since then the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month has attained a special and unique global significance. The moment when hostilities ceased on the Western Front became universally associated with the remembrance of those who died in the war.

At the time it was called The Great War but history has gone on to attach other labels- The First World War, World War 1, WW1- they all refer to a world conflict that saw the mobilisation of over 70 million people and left between 9 and 13 million dead, perhaps as many as one-third of them with no known grave. The allied nations consequently chose this day and time for the commemoration of their war dead.

Today being the Centenary of the end of World War 1, it’s appropriate that we of this global WW1 forum family also pause and remember those of all our nations who served in what was often called “the war to end all wars”.

We on this forum enjoy creating scale models of the aircraft and machines of that war but this thread is an opportunity for all of us to pause, observe two minutes’ silence, and remember the millions who served, suffered and those who died between 28 July 1914 and 11 November 1918.

Please feel free to now leave your tributes to those from all of our nations who served and those who died.

Lest We Forget

Dave Wilson
Forum Administrator

The Menin Gate at Midnight painted by Will Longstaff to commemorate those soldiers with no marked graves on the Western Front . (Australian War Memorial).
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Your tributes on the 100th Anniversary of the Armistice 1918
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 01:07:42 PM »
    Like very many Canadians I have predecessors who served in the First World War. My Paternal Grand Father was at Vimy Ridge, and although he survived that great battle, was never the same man as before according to family's memory. Three of his brothers, my uncles, served in Europe as well. My Wife's Paternal Grand Mother was a Field Hospital Nurse in France and Belgium from 1916 to 1918 with the British Army and lost her Fiance to the conflict. Her brother was wounded in the trenches in 1917. She married a patient she treated in Belgium. My Mother, being of German descent, often referred to the many distant relatives who served in the service of a different Country with no less belief and dedication. These men and women, so staunch in their beliefs and loyalties, were part of a generation that crossed  national boundaries that I hold very dear, they were truly worthy of our respect and memory.
   They were a special generation and I sincerely hope that their valor and sacrifices, so easily forgotten, live on despite the passage of now, a century since that horror ended. Let us never forget, and never allow humankind to journey down that perilous road again.
Lance

Offline aliluke

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 03:16:45 PM »
 I, like many in New Zealand and many here, I'm sure, from many nations, have several ancestors who were in the war.

My paternal grandfather was at the Battle of Passchendaele in 1917. He was gassed shortly after that, was withdrawn but survived.

From a letter home by him...Kenneth Luke was
‘sorry to say our losses were very heavy … when the New Zealand Rifle
Brigade, my Brigade, went into action’. He stated that many troops drowned
after being wounded, as they fell into shell holes that were full of water and
mud.

His wife, my Grandmother's, first husband died in the trenches.

We have Kenneth's letters and diaries. In one entry he describes being behind the lines when an airplane crashed into a building nearby. He found this quite entertaining!

Kenneth Luke, my grandfather.

My Great Aunty Jean was a nurse at a convalescence hospital in England throughout the war. Her fiance died in the trenches and she never remarried or indeed had a relationship with another man in her very long life. I have three very peaceful watercolour paintings gifted to her by the soldiers she cared for. They are dated 1914, 1916 and 1918

My maternal Grandfather shipped out of Christchurch in 1918. A Corporal in a Machine Gun Regiment. The ship was struck down with influenza and many died enroute. Those that survived were mostly too sick to report for duty and my grandfather, thankfully, never got to the lines.

This is one of the watercolours - dated 1918 with the initials "FH" - an unknown artist.

We have so much to be thankful for in our lives today. Today, a century afterwards, I remember those that lived through and died in that horrific war.

Lest we forget.

Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline Kreston

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 11:41:08 PM »
My Great Grandfather, Forrest Waterman (72nd Aero Squadron) Died of Influenza in France 1918 and is buried at Arlington National Cemetary.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 11:47:14 PM by Kreston »
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 02:56:03 AM »
I have so much love and respect for those who gave up their lives so that I may enjoy my freedom. That love and respect also included those who survived and lived through the aftermath of both World Wars.  To all those serving today I salute you. Thank you.

To my Grandfather (WW1 - Navy) and my Dad (WW2 - Navy) you have my unending love. R.I.P

The first and second pictures in my signature image says it all.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline krow113

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 03:41:51 AM »
120 mm tribute piece for my Great Grandfather who fought in the first battle of Ypres and died of his wounds in England.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 03:59:10 AM »
   Beautifully done Steve, and a touching and wonderful tribute to his sacrifice.
Lance

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 11:11:28 AM »
Rather late to the party but...
I took a small group to France and Belgium to commemorate the centenary of the Armistice. Satting at the brilliant museum at Meaux, then two days exploring the Somme, before arriving at Ypres for the Last Post on the 10th, then joining in the ceremony at 1100 on the 11th.

A very moving experience even fo me, and I'm there  at least once a year, but to have clients with me who  have never been and each with a family association to the Great War made it so much more special