Author Topic: Roden 1/48th scale Junkers D.1 Early  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Roden 1/48th scale Junkers D.1 Early
« on: October 24, 2018, 03:00:46 PM »
Junkers D.1 Early

REVIEWED BY David Wilson

Scale:       1/48th
Item #: Ro #433
Price:    $A31.99 in Australia. ($US 30.99 via Squadron; £32.99 via Hannants UK)

Stockist:   Available through the Roden website store http://rodenkits.com/  or through quality hobby retailers worldwide.

Contents:   Injection plastic parts on three sprues; two decal options.

Comment:

The surprise release earlier this year of the 1/32 scale Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1 monoplane fighter took many by surprise given it was a late entry to the war and served in minimal numbers.

While the Wingnuts kit has been applauded as a great entry level subject for large scale WW1 modellers, its release has also rightly reawakened interest in the 1/48th scale and 1/72 scale versions issued earlier by Roden from the Ukraine.

These kits are still on the market so we’re now taking a fresh new look at the 1/48th Junkers D.1 from 2006, and we like what we see.

The domination of the hobby by Wingnuts has unfortunately seen Roden step back from its substantial programme of WW1 aircraft, which is sad given there are still many subjects kitted by Roden that are not available from other manufacturers.

Roden’s WW1 catalogue was and still is significant, notably in its 1/72 and 1/48th ranges and also its 1/32 scale kits of which some are still the only game in town ( early Albatros and Siemens Schuckert D.III for example).

Many have wondered where Roden may go now with WW1 subjects or if they would abandon the era altogether. Happily Roden seems to have carved out a significant new niche – WW1 vehicles and artillery and they are to be congratulated for doing so.

The Roden 1/48th Junkers D.1 Early was released in 2006 and a year later was followed by the long fuselage Late version (kit #434). Our close up look focuses on the Early variant.

As Roden note in their background notes – two events provided truly radical advances in aircraft technology during the First World war-the invention of the gun synchronizing system, and the creation of all metal aircraft designs. The ongoing evolution of fighter aircraft was determined by these two events, so Hugo Junkers can rightfully be regarded as a forerunner of modern fighter aircraft.

Roden’s model

Roden kits are not Wingnuts or Tamiya level but having made several Roden models and just completed their 1/32 Fokker F.1 kit, while they can require a modeller’s full attention, they reward the careful builder. With care and modelling techniques, they can make into very nice models.

A look at the Junkers D.1 sprues shows some nice detail for the scale and having made this model some years ago, I regard it as one of my favourites from Roden. The Mercedes engine sprue is particularly useful, with two versions provided.

Moulding detail and quality is quite acceptable but parts on a sprue don’t automatically guarantee a trouble-free build. Roden instructions can sometimes be vague as to where parts go, but the Junkers instructions are fairly straightforward.

The exploded view style gives a pretty good idea of where parts go. Colours are keyed to Model Master paints

Markings:

The small decal sheet offers basic markings for two Junkers machines of German units on the Western Front in Autumn 1918. Roden decals in the past have fallen short on quality and application but surprisingly the Junkers decals performed well, even over a corrugated surface.

Summary:

The Junkers is one of my favourite Roden 1/48th kits. The internal detail is acceptably high and built ups displayed on various hobby websites over the years show it’s a very worthwhile addition to any WW1 collection. ii

I made this kit some years ago and am still impressed with its detail and quality. It builds into a nice model.

\

Verdict:

Highly Recommended.

(Review sample kindly supplied by Roden. Please support the businesses that support this Forum.)

Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Re: Roden 1/48th scale Junkers D.1 Early
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 08:03:15 AM »
Thanks for the great review on this kit Dave. Like you, I built this one a little while back (~2008) but I concur it's a nice build. I had only slight amount of problem with the upper decking but otherwise I remember it being fairly trouble free as a build.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=112056&page=1

Likewise, i'd recommend this kit to anyone looking for a quick and interesting build.

Cheers,

BC