Author Topic: WnW Junkers D.I (and J.I) decals tip  (Read 2157 times)

Online hiddeous1973

• Don't worry, Baldrick has a cunning plan !!
WnW Junkers D.I (and J.I) decals tip
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:11:03 AM »
For those of you who struggle or are afraid of trying to lay down decals on those uneven surfaces:

I just laid down the wing crosses on my D.i and used a decal setting solution from daco products. I opted to use the strong version and, it IS strong... within about 15 seconds the decals looked like they melted, so a took a cotton swab and rolled it along the decal in the direction of the corrugations, gently pushing out excess setting solution.

And it worked like a charm, looks almost as good as painted on, but be very carefull, the decals are very soft, maybe nxt time I will be using the medium or maybe a 50/50 mix of medium and strong.

I don't know if they ship outside of Europe, but you can always ask, I have met them several times onmodel show in Holland and Belgium and they are very modeller friendly.

http://www.dacoproducts.com/

Offline Dave Brewer

Re: WnW Junkers D.I (and J.I) decals tip
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:46:58 AM »
They do ship overseas,I just ordered the combo set to try and a starfighter upgrade sprue out of curiousity.Thanks for the recommendation!
dave.

Offline seiran01

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:45:24 AM »
Might have to try Daco on the next one I build. I ended up using a combo of hair dryer (with repeated attacked with a soft makeup brush to push out air bubbles) and solvaset on my D1 and J1. They came out fine in the end but it took a bit to get it right
Mike Swinburne

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 01:15:12 AM »
i'll definitely be trying this stuff, assuming they ship to Thailand.

meanwhile... got pics?

Online hiddeous1973

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 09:42:01 PM »
took a while to get my desk a bit cleaner, but here are some pictures of my Junkers D.i in progress, if you want detailed pictures of the decals, please let me know

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 03:59:00 AM »
Wow, Hidde!  What paint did you use for the aluminum?  Looks like real metal.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online hiddeous1973

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 04:36:45 AM »
I used these paints from Vallejo:

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/categoria/hobby/metal-color-en/

In this case i used mostly Duaraluminum with a pure black oil wash to create the striped look. I tried that with other shades of metal paint but could not get the look I was after.
They are great paints, ready to airbrush, very durable and easy to clean (I use alcohol for most of my acrylics) and most important, it does not need a black base. You can use a black base or a pre-shade, but you can do without a primer if you do not handle it too much