Author Topic: Abatross D.V with Daimler-Mercedes DIII 160hp  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Vicious

Abatross D.V with Daimler-Mercedes DIII 160hp
« on: October 16, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
2 months ago I bought the WnW Albatros DV kit Manfred Von Richtofen that was already on sale for the QMHE since WnW was one of the sponsors .... magnificent kit and splendid figure, however I would like to detail the interior and the Daimler-Mercedes D.III 160hp the model with the skinny and tall pump in front, my problem is that I found more or less from where and how many lines for oil, gasoline, water, pressure and controls are there and from where they leave but not where they go,also between the cockpit and the engine and which line or command goes and where, 99% of the photos, models and references are on subsequent versions of 180hp or 200hp where pump, carburetor etc ... are different

Any good soul has or knows where I can find blue print, picture and stuff like that on this particular version?

I want to leave the engine in full view but i need to know were all this lines etc...goes and come from... :'( ...it's my first WWI kit!!

P.S:...i hope is the right place for this question

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Abatross D.V with Daimler-Mercedes DIII 160hp
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »
Hi, Vicious! Warm welcome to this forum.
As for your question, to my knowledge the only noticable differences between 160 and 180hp Mercedes were in the air pump form and the water pipe on the cylinder bank. And no difference to carburettors. Thus, I would easily use the said 99% reference to 180hp engine version as far as plumbing and control linkages is concerned. You might also look into my oldish Albatros build log:
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1133.0
More recently I have built a Pfalz D.IIIa with 180hp engine but the idea of linkages is similar.
https://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=9619.0
Unfortunately I restricted myself to what is visible over the engine bearers.
You may also wish to contact directly Bertl (Umlaufmotor) or Bo (Flugzuegwerke) who brougth building their WNW Alb D.V models to the sky limit levels - their logs unfortunately were gone in the notorious Photobucket disaster but they may still have some photo material available.
Good luck with your build and do not hesitate to share what you achieve!  :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Vicious

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »
Hi Przemol,

thanks for the answer ... no in itself the differences are not huge but those small differences are driving me crazy,unfortunately for all the replicas, and restored planes they all mount successive versions from 180hp and 200hp with the 2 pumps completely different (pump in the front and on the basement), when I find photos of my engine both vintage, current and WIP or are not complete or are taken from the wrong side .. ... it's a conspiracy ... even for the connections I have 99% of those in the cockpit and 80% of those in the engine bay but from where they go through and where they go between the cockpit and the engine(the part under the Spandau and the tank) is a mystery ... and well kept ... for me it is the area 51 of the albatross...but I do not give up....i start even to think the German invent the Wireless in the 1917 with the help of the UFO!!

I have this ..

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/2building--the-wingnut-wings-albatros-dvdva-545-p.asp

but even if well done is of little use for detailing, the 2 models are built almost OOB, I sincerely expect something more ', I am tempted by this ...

https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/report-on-the-180-hp-mercedes-aero-engine-544-p.asp

... but again is the 180hp version non the 160hp with skinny pump...

now i check the link you give me and see if i can find Umlaufmotor and Flugzuegwerke Wip becose there's a system to restore the Photobucket pictures but dont work everytime

Offline Vicious

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:56:10 AM »
Eureka !! ... I put side by side several pictures of the book, TVAL and others and I was able to understand the second line of the pump where I think it goes, passes on the engine head to the side of the valves and then goes up to the radiator !!!....possible??..

Now I miss the electronic lines from the Bosh starter to the engine, the connection of the main and auxiliary throttle, which I imagine should connect together at a certain point after the tank, and the 2 connections between the main and reserve tank and the carburetor, also the carburetor is a small enigma, some photos show only one entry line on the side of to the principal body other show some pipes connected to those 2 cylinders in brass attached in front of the main body ... :-\

There is also in the cockpit the lever to adjust the timing that I do not know 'where it ends ... ???

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:38:34 PM »
Eureka !! ... I put side by side several pictures of the book, TVAL and others and I was able to understand the second line of the pump where I think it goes, passes on the engine head to the side of the valves and then goes up to the radiator !!!....possible??..

Now I miss the electronic lines from the Bosh starter to the engine, the connection of the main and auxiliary throttle, which I imagine should connect together at a certain point after the tank, and the 2 connections between the main and reserve tank and the carburetor, also the carburetor is a small enigma, some photos show only one entry line on the side of to the principal body other show some pipes connected to those 2 cylinders in brass attached in front of the main body ... :-\

There is also in the cockpit the lever to adjust the timing that I do not know 'where it ends ... ???

The latter one surely goes - through a system of levers on a stand - to the magnetos - or rather those small cylindrical elements under the magnetos.

Offline Vicious

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 08:53:07 PM »
The latter one surely goes - through a system of levers on a stand - to the magnetos - or rather those small cylindrical elements under the magnetos.

Thankyou very very much!!....everything is easier when you know where to look, after reading your comment I went through some pictures and in fact I found under the magnetos what I was looking for ... now as usual I'll have to sweat to find how the levers system is made that comes up there ... I found the first 5-10 cm but difficult to find what is missing

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:34 PM »
My pleasure. I am glad I can help.  ;)

You may find useful this lovely photo by our Jamo residing in NZ, close to TVAL:

Offline Vicious

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 09:04:09 AM »
Oh God bless you and Jamo (who's Jamo  :o) ...i send you and Jamo a virtual beer!!

Now i need cupple of other picture like that and i am done!

Offline Vicious

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 08:46:03 AM »
Ok find Jamo's Photobucket page and it's a gold mine,i find there almost everything i need....Thankyou very much!!... ;)

another question I guess all the engines had the Priming cups on the cylinders .... right? .... or was a later addition?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 07:55:46 AM by Vicious »

Offline krow113

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 02:23:57 AM »
Translation required;

Watch out for museum restorations!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:13:09 AM by krow113 »

Offline Vicious

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 09:02:29 AM »
Thanks .... I had found the diagrams of the electrical system but it was the next 2 versions.

As far as possible I try to cross original photos with those of the restorations / replicas but unfortunately you can not always

for the translation no problem from good Swiss a bit of German willy-nilly you have to know it,I'm also looking for photos of the back of the seat to see if the leather that covers it is just sewn or have the brass rivets, I found the photo of an original but is of a previous model of Albatross and the shape is a bit 'different but has the rivets ....