Author Topic: Peter Jackson's incredible WW1 film restoration  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Tiger2

Peter Jackson's incredible WW1 film restoration
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:57:51 AM »
Apologies if this is old news, this was broadcast recently on the TV here in the UK. Peter Jackson's team
has put their amazing digital skills to the test to restore WW1 footage of life in the trenches to colour and sound.
It is quite incredible, check it out if you haven't seen it yet!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtz3KHWn1W8

Cheers,
Paul

Offline Derrick

Re: Peter Jackson's incredible WW1 film restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:19:05 AM »
I hope to see this. Wonder if he will continue restoring more footage after this.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:01:21 AM »
There's a lengthy TV interview with Sir Peter in which he says the restored footage was driven by what the Imperial War Museum wanted, so the focus is almost entirely on the British Army on the Western Front. He specifically notes there is no coverage of the air war or the war at sea.
Interestingly, he adds that he would be happy to restore any more footage the IWM wants to send him. It's to be hoped this movie will be released on DVD/ blu ray soon and encourage ongoing restoration of the archive film.
Imagine what Sir Peter's team of video magicians could do with the IWM's WW1 aviation footage!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline macsporran

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:29 AM »
I believe it will be broadcast in UK on BBC, but I've bought my ticket to see it on Tuesday at the nearest Vue Cinema (in Stirling), on the big screen with big sound etc.
Can't wait
S

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 03:46:00 AM »

Offline Edo

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »
not a word of it here in Italy.... :-\
i hope it will come out in dvd or, better still, on youtube someday....
amazing job, anyway...
ciao
edo

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:46:17 PM »
This looks very interesting, but I hope whatever end result we get includes a B/W alternative viewing option to the colorization.

The colorization provides an interesting guess at how this footage might have looked (the shade of green in the British tank in the longer Youtube video, for example) but that's just a guess.

I'm not a fan of offering this stuff being presented as some sort of "scientific uncovering of history" in terms of the colorization. It's all guesswork and might be quite wrong.

The cleaning up the B/W footage is great, however, and I wish they had just stopped there.

Offline macsporran

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:41 PM »
Wait til you see it. You'll be very happy!
S