Author Topic: 1:32 Sopwith Camel of Barker  (Read 14123 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: 1:32 Sopwith Camel of Barker
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 07:12:19 AM »
Boros:
Yes there is a cut-out version.  When I started the model I cut from the sprues those parts listed as not required.  These were put into my 'spares' box.
It wasn't until after I'd modified the 'required' centre section that I realized I had the cut-out version.
It's a bit wider than I think was the case with Barkers B6313 and it doesn't have either the trailing edge 'stub' for the removed linen support hoop or the hoop itself.
Still at least I could use it if the modded one doesn't work out.

Jeroen:
My pleasure - hope it helps.

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline ondra

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »
Great progress so far, I will be following with great interest as I am currently building the very same machine in a different scale.

Many thanks for sharing!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 12:22:45 AM »
Hi Ondra,
I'm watching your 1:144 scratch build with eyes wide open!!

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 11:54:05 PM »
Hi all,
Just a quick update.
I decided to use the kit supplied modified centre section rather than the one I modified earlier.
I've added the support hoop for the linen that was removed from trailing edge of the upper wing centre section of Barkers B6313,

Mike

Offline ondra

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 02:21:32 AM »
Great work on the modification, Mike, well done!

Cheers

Ondra

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 03:29:47 AM »
Outstanding Mike, looks like the picture.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 01:00:53 PM »
Looks terrific! Don't know why you went back to the kit part but your Mods are great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 07:10:14 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks.

RAGIII:
I think I had removed too much from the rear spar when I modified the centre section - it was a bit too thin.
The alternative kit part was more or less correct but needed the linen hoop adding to finish it off,

Mike

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 03:19:59 AM »
Hi all,
I'm getting close to completing the cockpit, along with replacing the kit molded pipework with copper wire, adding a lot of additional pipework, adding cockpit bracing wires and flight control cables (with turnbuckles) and engine fuel control linkage. Also modifying the cockpit forward decking and adding bracing to the tail skid bay.
Hopefully I should be able to post some shots of the assembly before I close up the fuselage, when of course most of it won't been visible.

Mike 

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2018, 03:32:25 AM »
What did you use for the linnen loop? It looks like rod or stretched sprue: either way it really looks the part.

Stephen.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2018, 05:12:08 AM »
Hi Stephen,
Here's an extract from the PDF build log I'm writing as I build the model.

Mike

----------------------------------------
The kit supplies two variations of the upper wing centre section, Parts E4 and E5. The kit instructions show that centre section E4 is not required. However this part does match the modifications on Barkers B6313, so can be used. The only modifications required are as follows:

1.   The cross member at the rear centre section requires a central anchor ‘stub’ for the linen support hoop. The trailing edge of the rear centre section cross member was sanded flat enough to be able to drill hole in the centre.
2.   A 0.3mm diameter hole was drilled into the centre of the trailing edge
3.   A short length of ‘Albion Alloys’ 0.3mm micro-tube (MBT03) was inserted into the hole onto which was slid short lengths of 0.5mm (MBT05), then 0.8mm (MBT08) and finally 1.0mm (MBT10), leaving the last tube standing proud to leave its bore clear for adding the wire hoop ‘anchor’.
4.   A hole of 0.4mm was drilled into the inboard edges of the centre section trailing edge.
5.   A length of 0.3mm copper wire was bent around a mandrel to form the basic linen    support hoop. Each end was bent to fit into the pre-drilled holes in the inboard edges of the centre section trailing edge.
6.   A length of 0.2mm copper wire was inserted into the micro-tube previously added to the trailing edge of the cross member and secured in position using thin CA adhesive.
7.   The ends of the created wire linen hoop were inserted into the previously drilled holes in the inboard edges of the centre section trailing edge.
8.   The added 0.2mm copper wire central ‘anchor’ was carefully bent around the linen hoop to secure the loop in position.
9.   The linen hoop was finally secured in position by applying thin CA adhesive to each end and to the central ‘anchor’.
----------------------

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2018, 05:27:58 AM »
Hi all,
Here's the cockpit left side frame, with bracing wires/turnbuckles, all new copper fuel supply and contents pipes, throttle control linkage and elevator control lines.
I still have to add aileron control lines, the under shield with rudder bar with rudder and tail skid control lines and attaching the two middle elevator control lines to the control column.
Also add the trigger lines to the two Vickers machine guns.
Then it's on to the cockpit right side frame with all of the fuel tank pressurization pipes.

Mike

Offline Ryan

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2018, 07:01:28 AM »
Mike I like the work so far, looking forward to updates.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2018, 07:03:12 AM »
    VERY impressive work on the cockpit Mike. I 'm especially taken with the finish on the fuel tank and your fine detailing is superb. The wicker on the seat is another real highlight, excellent modelling and a lot to really like here!
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2018, 08:10:09 AM »
Not surprising but this is probably the finest detailing of a WNW Camel interior I have seen to date! Everything you have done is outstanding to say the least!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler