Author Topic: Mercedes D IIIa Air Pump "plumbing" HELP!!  (Read 1580 times)

Offline akeller

Mercedes D IIIa Air Pump "plumbing" HELP!!
« on: January 07, 2017, 02:47:34 AM »
Hello,

I'm building a 1/32nd Albatros W-4 and have not been able to find where the hoses/lines go once they leave the air pump.  This is the "thin" vertical air pump and seems to have a line running to the starboard side of the motor and another headed toward the crankcase (this seems to come from the block immediately below the air pump) (is this the oil pump?).  I've searched all of my references on the W-4, the D II and the D III but nothing is definitive. 
Any help/guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Al Keller

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Mercedes D IIIa Air Pump "plumbing" HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
RB has it right -- basically there is one line that goes back to the tank providing pressurized air; the other is an oil supply line from the crankcase. There are lots of variations in pumps and plumbing details...

Offline jeroen_R90S

Re: Mercedes D IIIa Air Pump "plumbing" HELP!!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 05:14:46 AM »
Digging up this old thread as it seems to be appropriate to my question, too...

I'm building the second engine for my D.VII (first was a D.IIIau) which is a D.IIIa and I have found reference pictures of where the thick lines go from the housing on which the air pump is mounted, but not where the thinner line from the big brass pump-part should go exactly. Since the two thicker lines go to the sump, does the thinner one run somewhere to the fuel tank? Or to the standing thing that WNW forgot on the left-hand side of the crankcase beteween the first and second cylinder (counting from the prop boss, not the flywheel). Or was that something on the aü engine only?

Thanks in advance!
Jeroen
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:21:56 AM by jeroen_R90S »