Author Topic: Obscure questions about obscure French aircraft  (Read 938 times)

Offline smperry

Obscure questions about obscure French aircraft
« on: September 16, 2018, 11:14:50 AM »
I have been trying to finish my scratch built Paul Schmidt PS.7. I have the French Aircraft of WWI tome and know of no other references. I expect definitive answers no longer exist, so I am happy to settle for a preponderance of the speculation here.

Is there a name for those vertical supports mid bay between the mainplane struts where the lift and drag wires cross? Spads had similar though more robust structures. I guess they were popular features of French designs of the day. I've only seen them on French airplanes. I will use 20 or 30 thou rod to represent these in 1/72. In the photos they are solid, thinner than the struts by half, but obviously much thicker than the rigging. I don't know if they are wood or metal, nor do I have any idea what color they might be. They do not appear to be wrapped with fabric in places like the similar structures on Spads

Additionally were the metal fittings for the struts painted that French blue or had they quit using that by 1917? If not French blue, then black? other color?

Again, I doubt clear answers still exist, so feel free to speculate based on anything you know from other French planes of the period.
Thanks
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

Re: Obscure questions about obscure French aircraft
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 11:16:59 AM »
BTW, Photos are from French Aircraft of WWI.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.