Author Topic: Time to show us your workbench  (Read 46694 times)

Dekenba1

Re: Time to show us your workbench
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 07:40:17 AM »
heheh having put this stuff together, I know that is a bunch of work!

Great set up Dekenda1!

Ryan

Got mine direct from Hobbyzone in Poland. I bought them in one large order, it worked out the cheapest way once shipping was included.

As has been said, they arrive flat packed and need glue and masking tape to put together. They come with magnets to be inserted in the sides, top & bottom - this ensure they click together and hold together. Clever, but it can take a while to build them, especially if you buy a lot!

I'd recommend getting the 2 drawer units over the 6 & 3 drawer versions - they are cheaper, quicker to build and offer more flexible storage. I'd also recommend the corner units with the open shelves, rather than the version with drawers - much cheaper and again offering more flexibility. The WIP and open units allow more space for storing larger items, and the paint racks can be made to measure for differing paint sizes - for example, you could have 36mm Tamiya size holes in the 1st row, with 26mm Vallejo or AK Paints in the other rows. As I paint almost exclusively with Tamiya acrylics, I just went went with mostly 36mm.

The free standing tool holder is good.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 11:14:07 AM »
  I did some "window shopping" on the American supplier, lots to choose from! Thanks, both of you for your recommendations and information, much appreciated! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Vicious

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »
Every time I see the "hobbyzone" workbench I start drooling like a Bulldog in front of the sausage ... :P :P

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2018, 01:44:58 AM »
Well here’s my man cave (aka corner of garage).

I’ve got a fan heater and one of those low level wall heaters that just stops it from actually freezing! Alexa and speakers.

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2018, 03:39:10 AM »
Great cave!

Offline Ryan

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2018, 04:23:41 AM »
Nice space Guy.

About 10 years ago we remodeled the house and I had the contractor build my shack, 10x16 with AC and Heat.

Air for the air brush is piped underground from the garage so I don't hear when the compressor turns on.

Now 10 years later it needs a bath and a paint job.

The Model Shack by The 3rd Placer, on Flickr

Ryan

In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2018, 05:49:19 AM »
That’s just showing off Ryan!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Bughunter

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2018, 06:46:18 AM »
Ryan, the placard  on the door with a aircraft seems to be nice  ;)
You are the only scale modeler with a own house for modeling.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline aliluke

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 03:50:27 PM »
I am very lucky to live in a 1950's architecturally designed house with a downstairs studio of about 2.5 m wide x 12 m long = 30 m2 (300 sq ft) which is deep in the bush that surrounds us. It is very peaceful. The original design included many built in cupboards and the house is still entirely original. I may be slightly strange among us as between work sessions I clean everything away - I can't stand mess.

Having all these cupboards help and I know where everything is in my modelling space even if others don't. Our house is three storeys high and I once, years ago bothered to count all the cupboards and drawers that it had - 285! That doesn't include all the built in open shelving which is equal to or exceeds that. But we have our issues with this - mostly that we put stuff away and can't remember where it is. We will need serious help if we ever move as our storage capacity is almost limitless. Lots of people complain about lack of storage - we have too much!

Cheers,
Alistair
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 04:02:15 PM by aliluke »
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 11:42:48 PM »
     You are indeed fortunate Alistair, you have more storage space above your bench then I have in the entire room I do my work in. Very nice arrangement, I'm envious!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ryan

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2018, 11:49:07 PM »
That is an awesome work area.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2018, 01:44:36 AM »
Very Nice!  Enviable storage and plenty of natural light.  And tidy as a pin! My work space would probably drive you insane.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2018, 04:50:36 AM »
This is my favourite till now. Nice and clean, congratulations.
Ciao
Giuseppe

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2019, 10:01:22 AM »
My work area(s):
This is the workbench where most of the action happens.  In the background my paint booth can be seen - yes its the cardboard box!  I've been using this for more than 10 years.  I mount the exhaust hose in the nearby window when painting.

Next is the 'dirty' area.  It includes a workbench with vice, lathe, mill, drill press, scroll saw, and belt/disk sander.  Not shown is a bench grinder and tool grinder for making lathe tools.

I have all the toys to make the toys.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2019, 08:39:34 AM »
Evening All,

I have been looking at this thread recently and have to admit that I am more than a little jealous of some of you lucky .......s! I know that I have a bit of a reputation for my Heath Robinson methods but there are times when I really would like to be able to have a go with a lathe to turn some small metal parts. I have bought some sophisticated and modern tools recently - ie a Dremmel drill and soldering iron! However when it comes to workspace I still use my desk which has all sorts of things on it (mostly untidy), and I still use this, after 55 years or more, (I cannot remember the exact number):

This is my modelling tray - it was given to me by my mother when I started seriously building kits (I was about 10 or 11 years old at the time) and she suggested that I could keep all of the pieces on it and not spill paint on the table or floor: it meant that I did not have to spread newspaper when I wanted to do some modelling. It is probably 80+ years old and is rigid because it is made from paper machie/fibre. It had a floral pattern on it which was very faded and slightly damaged, so I painted it with the Humbrol colours that I had to hand at the time! I put paper over the tray, (an A4 sheet fits perfectly as you can see), and replace it periodically when it gets too messy or torn. I have used this in more places than I care to mention: for 30 years it sat in a drawer waiting for me to pick up the hobby again! The tools on it are the ones I use and have used most of the time - the tweezers on the right are older than me: they were given to me by my father who had no further use for them because they were "worn out" - that was over 55 years ago! I used to have a nail file that was my mothers but that broke and had to be replaced with a new one - I use it to apply body putty and open tins of Humbrol enamels. Circumstances dictate that I have to model on a limited budget, but I also enjoy the challenge of using simple basic tools and techniques to see what I can make - sometimes my accuracy may not be quite 100% but provided that I do not say anything, nobody seems to notice. With my larger models I do have to make jigs which sit on my desk or a spare table, but these are only temporary. All my materials are kept in a small cupboard with drawers, and my references are in my rather large library. I do have two glass cabinets and some perspex boxes to store/display my models and keep the dust off.

In short modelling is integrated into my home - no special place here...! 

Stephen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 07:12:04 AM by lone modeller »