Author Topic: G'day from North Queensland  (Read 1905 times)

Offline Vicious

G'day from North Queensland
« on: October 16, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
G'day from the North!

first I write from Queensland but it's only  years I live here ,originally I am from southern Switzerland in the Italian-speaking region on the border with Italy so sorry if my English is not the best ... especially written, never studied English in life but I married a Queenslander and here I am ... abuot models now, I started in the early '80s with WWII aircraft, I was never been attracted by modern aircraft or AFV i feel like they dont have soul to me, the only  2 was a Mirage and a Vampire because They had the Swiss insignia, however in the years I modeled everything, cars, trucks, AFVs, motorcycles and figurines, like everyone between 16 and late 20's I had a break from plastic models to focus more on other types of models on 2 legs in 1/1 scale ... : - * ... on the return to modeling I restarted with airplanes and then moved to AFV and Figurines, with the advent of the WWI commemoration and the release of many kits and Figurines of that period and having my great-grandfather who fought on the front of the Carso and Piave in the Alpini troops in Italy I start to passionate about that period, 2 months ago at the QMHS in Ipswitch I was struck by the WnW Albatros D.V Manfred von Richtofen Kit which was already on sale in a few kits being WnW one of the sponsors and I bought it without thinking for a moment,went to the hotel room and open the box... :o ...I could not believe my eyes... :P ...and now here I am in total love with these early flying machines of wood,canvas,brass and copper... forgive me I am totally ignorant on the subject so expect very stupid questions from me... ???

Cheers

Jarno

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Re: G'day from North Queensland
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »
Greetings Jarno

Welcome to the Forum and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from WW1 modelling. Ask any questions you like as our friendly members are sure to share their building and finishing tips.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Vicious

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 01:10:37 PM »
Hi Dave!...

Thanks...I already posted the first question... ;D

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 10:23:14 PM »
Jarno,
    As Dave has said ask away! This Forum offers a wealth of experience, talent, and information and it's all available just for the asking. I'm looking forward to your contributions here, and I know you will enjoy the experience!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 12:15:12 AM »
Welcome aboard, Jarno!  Two years ago today, my wife and I went to Basil to begin our Rhine cruise and fell in love with Switzerland.  What a dramatic change that must have been for you, moving to North Queensland!
Your modeling history sounds a lot like mine.  I was away from the hobby for over 20 years, and when I came back things had changed so much.  I fell in love with WWI modeling and needed a lot of advice.  That's when I met most of my friends here.  This is the best forum in the world for WWI aircraft.  Enjoy your Albatros.  It's a delightful kit.  Just be aware that the tolerances are very tight, so keep all paint off the mating surfaces.
Cheers,
Bud
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:40:54 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Vicious

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »
Hi Bud,

happy you like my country,!...I come from the completely opposite side of Basel which is the extreme north of the country, I am from Ticino the only state south of the Alps,and yes the change between Switzerland and N.Queensland is quite dramatic, the only clause that I imposed on my wife is that under no circumstances would I go to live in a flat place without mountains or hills around me ... the flat places they make me anxious ... ;D

Anyway I read a bit 'everywhere that WnW need clean mating surfaces, at the moment I'm still far from picking up brushes and AB but I'm already equipped with masking tape, masking liquid and masking putty

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 12:46:15 PM »
Welcome to the Forum! I am sure you will find all you need here and as others have said, ask freely, you will get all the answers you need!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 02:33:30 AM »
Good to see you here, Jarno  ;)
Enjoy the forum.

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/