Author Topic: Working with Bob's Buckles for the first time  (Read 5812 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Working with Bob's Buckles for the first time
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 08:41:11 PM »
Y'all have been really wonderful in helping me get started on rigging fittings, I do so appreciate all the help. I have been single mindedly pursuing the goal of getting a second line to pass through a bit of tubing to the point of forgetting another question I have.

I have spent a good hour prowling the help threads here and the photos of completed models and have managed to miss what I am looking for. Specifically how and when does one color the rigging? Is it done before or after the line is installed on the model? Is it done with paint or a colored marker?
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2018, 12:43:24 AM »
sp,
   Some recommend paint, some have great results with Sharpie type permanent markers and the "before or after" application seems to vary. I personally prefer Mr. Metal Color Stainless lacquer based paint done after the rigging is completed. (being careful to protect the model surface from drops or "flinches" of the brush!) Whichever medium or timing works for you I'd say, there doesn't appear to be a right or wrong method.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2018, 02:06:50 AM »
With stretched sprue, I used Testors Metalizer lacquer. I would put a few drops in the upturned cap and then take a Q-Tip and press the line down in the paint smoothly pulling the line under the cotton bud. It would dry quickly. Not sure how the added paint will affect slipping the line through the tubes though. Might be better to use some of that stretchy Parafilm stuff to protect the wing and just paint it with a brush. The Sharpie might allow for pre coloring the line without increasing the diameter like paint. I wanted to make sure there wasn't one single way that was hands down better than others. Looks like I have another round of 'sperimentin to do.
Thanks
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2018, 04:05:53 PM »
I run a thick black sharpie and then a silver one on the line stock I need  before I start cutting,and carefully touch up with a silver finetip after installing,I don't seem to have to do much though,sharpie ink is pretty tough.