Author Topic: Working with Bob's Buckles for the first time  (Read 5811 times)

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: Working with Bob's Buckles for the first time
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 04:47:36 PM »
It's early here in blighty, but when help is called for help must be given  :)

Here you will see that the line does passed through twice.
The last picture shows my second attempt. The tube had been lightly reamed at both ends and this DID make the job easier.

I hope this helps you in your quest.
Good luck!

Cheers,
vB  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline smperry

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 04:51:01 AM »
Bob
Those photos confirm that is exactly the line I have. I have several feet of it weighted and hanging. Drill Bits Unlimited sent me an e-mail late yesterday saying my order had shipped. I will let the line hang until I get the order of bits. Also ordered a set of 3 watchmaker's tweezers.
I will eventually get this twice thru the tube thing right.

Meanwhile, I will let the WnW kit sit a while and do some rigging on my P.S.7 with stretched sprue.

Thanks again for your time and help Bob.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 06:14:44 AM »
My pleasure, SP!

Please let us know how you get on  ;)

Cheers,
vB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2018, 02:33:07 AM »
I got my order of bits and was extremely pleased that they turned out to be the kind with the 1/8" shank as opposed to the ones that are the nominal diameter for the entire length. That solves the issue of drilling out the tubes. No problem with the new bits.

I still could not get the line to pass all the way through the second time. This was using stretched line cut at an angle.

Then I had a Homer Simpson, "Doh!", moment. I had been trying to thread the line through a 3 mm length of tube. I tried a 1.5 mm length and was able to make it work. Next I will try a 1 mm piece of tube. I believe this may be what I have been doing wrong.

I will have to wait until it cools off some to practice more and see if I really have it down. Loaned my portable AC unit to a buddy whose AC went out over the Labor Day holiday weekend. I think/hope I got it because every time I got the line started a 2nd time it would go in a bit and then kink. When I pulled it out it was just short of 3 mm of straight line before the kink. With the shorter tube length I should get it through enough to get a grip in the protruding end.

sp

There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2018, 05:45:28 AM »
SP,

Did you drill out the 3mm length?
3mm or 1mm shouldn't make a difference. The line should go through twice.

I think you're very close to nailing this. Keep up the practice and keep us updated.  ;)
Cheers,
vB

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline smperry

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
Yes, I ran a 0.3 mm bit through both the 3 mm and the 1.5 mm lengths. I got 2 lines through the drilled out 1.5 mm, but I was unable to do that on the drilled out 3 mm tube. After a break, I tried doing it with a 1 mm piece. I haven't been able to get two through that yet, however i forgot to run a 0.3 mm bit through it first. I will try clearing the tube with the bit when I go back to the shop.

On the up side, I'm getting darn good a picking up tiny pieces of tube with tweezers and putting them back in the little bag every time I try to shake out just one :-)
sp

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
SP
just a thought if you haven't already tried it-I use tweezers to feed the line back in a mm or so from the end and keep moving back in small increments until it goes through,limits the chance for the line to kink which it is easy to do if you grab the line too far from the end.Hope this makes sense,good luck,
Dave.

Offline smperry

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2018, 01:17:17 PM »
Hi Dave
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I tried that technique, but with no success. I find the only pair of tweezers I have that can grip the line are too big at the point to get a grip a couple mm back from the end and not get in the way when trying to insert the line. These new watchmaker's tweezers may help.

Frustration levels are starting to go through the roof.  The only other thing I can think of seems to be my poor eyesight. I will be getting new glasses soon. Additionally a twitching muscle around my left eye is getting bad. I had Botox treatment on it and it helped for a couple of months.  I guess I better call and make another appointment.

sp

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2018, 01:04:07 AM »
Just to prove that I'm not going bonkers I confirmed to myself that Maxima line does pass through 3mm cut tube. You'll have to forgive me as I don't model much these days - to busy twisting wire and cutting tube.

Here is one I prepared earlier. Tethered to a 1/32 eyelet.

B :) B

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline smperry

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2018, 03:06:20 AM »
Bob
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions and post photos. The mailman came today and brought the tweezers I ordered. It is too hot to work in the shop right now, but I put line, 3 mm tubes and tweezers together for a photo. Then with only bifocals, I had to try out the tweezers and actually succeeded in getting the second line through the tube. I used several tips I have been given as far as wiggling the line, gripping it close and trying to shove the tube on the line as opposed to shoving the line through the tube. All helped, but I think the new tweezers helped a lot. I believe a LOT of practice and some better glasses will help even more.

Thanks again Bob and everyone else who took time to post and help me out with this.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:16:07 AM by smperry »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2018, 03:13:02 AM »
Bravo, Steven!  I knew you could do it!  If a ham fisted goblin such as I could do it, you certainly could.  And did!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2018, 03:36:32 AM »
   Ha! Can't keep a good man down, well done sp, and welcome to the von Bucklebuilder fan club! 8)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2018, 03:55:44 AM »
Bud and Lance
Like the proverbial blind hog finding an occasional acorn, this blind modeler may have threaded the odd turnbuckle. Only more practice will tell. I really need to get my portable AC unit back, the shop isn't cooling off on it's own until after midnight. Patience definitely has an optimal temperature range.
sp

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2018, 06:03:17 AM »
Brilliant!
That's great news, SP!

It's amazing how the right tools can make all the difference  ;)

Practice makes perfect.

Happy Buckling!

vB  :)

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 11:15:40 AM »
That's great Steve,your perseverence has paid off.There'll be no stopping you now.Well done!
Cheers,
Dave.