Author Topic: At last! - Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Petie2nd

At last! - Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23
« on: August 16, 2018, 07:04:32 AM »
It’s here! The book “Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23” from Aeronaut Books, has just arrived in my hands this afternoon! It’s been a long wait, but Bruno Schmäling & Winfried Bock have done it again; much bigger and at least as good, if not better than “Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30”, published in 2014. I’ve only browsed it so far, and will be savoring the story, photos, and artwork in the next few days. Meanwhile, here are some highlights.

The cover features a beautiful painting by Russell Smith, of Ltn. Josef Müller’s Fokker D.VII (Alb), with a large swan on the fuselage side. Flying alongside are Ltn. Hubert Eder, with a ferocious dog on the fuselage of his machine, and Ltn. Heinrich Seywald, in a white-fuselaged D.VII (Alb). They are about to enter into combat with several Se.5's or 5a's.

The book is 368 pages, and appears to have many more photos than the previous one. The first sections are covered with large photos, often filling both pages. There are maps throughout, each across 2 pages, marking locations of Jasta victories.

There are color profiles by James F. Miller; 63 of them this time! Aircraft include Albatros D.II, D.III, D.V, & D.Va; Roland D.VIa (9 of them); a Pfalz D.XII (the well-known machine of Ltn. Paul Vogel) and Fokker D.VII (all seem to be Alb or OAW built). There’s even a Halberstadt Cl.II squadron hack (with the upcoming WNW Cl.II, this scheme could perhaps be modeled later this year). I hope Pheon has plans for multiple sheets based on this book; Rowan’s main problem will be choosing between so many great schemes!

After the great Jasta 30 book was completed, the authors came into possession of previously-unknown photos of Fokker D.VII’s of that unit, and promised that they would include the new information in the following book on  Jasta 23b. They have kept that promise, with results of their research on pages 326-333, accompanied by several photos, and profiles of 7 aircraft (1 Alb D.V, the rest Fok D.VII) of Jasta 30 on pages 364-365 and 368.

I’d also like to note the translation into English, again by Adam Wait. I’m going to be digging deeper into this book during the next few days, and expect to be enjoying myself thoroughly!

Pete

Offline rhwinter

Re: At last! - Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 07:55:45 AM »
Thanks for that „in box-review“, Pete!

Offline Radarman

Re: At last! - Royal Bavarian Jagdstaffel 23
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 11:24:15 AM »
I just got my copy today and the volume on the Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30. I can’t wait to get a good look at them. Thanks for tipping me off about the book.
We are all victims of history!