Author Topic: Hansa Brandenburg W.29 1:32 Wingnut Wings  (Read 15009 times)

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
Re: Hansa Brandenburg W.29 1:32 Wingnut Wings
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
Here's more information:

When researching the colour schemes and finish of the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 I found that as usual, there are different interpretations available.  The official standards laid down during WW1 for the finishes to be applied to aircraft of the German Naval Air Service were dependent on the time of issue.

General Colour Schemes
Order ’B Nr F5952’ dated 28th March 1917:
Printed hexagonal fabric (hexagonal grey-brown, grey-blue and grey-violet) was to be applied to all upper surfaces (wing, fuselage, floats, tailplane and elevator). All side surfaces (fuselage, floats, rudder, tail fin and struts) were to be painted Grey-Blue. The underside surfaces to be a light Grey colour, but the underside surfaces of the wing (and presumably tail plane) were to be left as Clear Doped Linen (CDL). The painted surfaces were to be of a matt (flat) finish.

Later orders dated April 1918:
Printed hexagonal fabric (hexagonal grey-violet) was to be applied to all upper surfaces (wing, fuselage, floats, tailplane and elevator). All side surfaces (fuselage, floats, rudder, tail fin and struts) were to be painted Grey-Blue. The underside surfaces to be a light Blue or left as Clear Doped Linen (CDL). The painted surfaces were to be of a matt (flat) finish. There were caveats that stated for the duration of the war, aircraft surfaces (not those fabric covered) could be
painted with acid free tar based varnish. Additionally all naval G- and R– types should either be painted or have printed fabric applied, both of which should be three colour hexagonal.

References:
Osprey Aircraft of the Aces - Naval Aces of World War 1 (Part 2) by Jon Guttman:
The colour profiles shown for this aircraft have all upper surfaces (except the engine/cockpit areas) and including the two floats, in three colour hexagonal, undersides of the wing,
fuselage, tailplane and elevator as CDL and white on the rudder/fin. All side surfaces, including the two floats as being Grey-Blue.

Windsock Data File No.55 - Brandenburg W.29 by Peter M Grosz:
The colour profiles shown for this aircraft, particularly W.29 No.2532, appear to have all upper surfaces (except the engine/cockpit areas) and including the two floats, in three colour hexagonal, undersides of the wing and tailplane as CDL and white on the rudder/fin. All side surfaces as being Grey-Blue.

Fabric application.
Generally the patterned fabric was applied to the various surfaces as follows:
Wings - Length of the bolt of fabric applied chord wise (leading edge to trailing edge).
Ailerons and elevator - Length of the bolt of fabric applied span wise (left to right).
Tailplane - Length of the bolt of fabric applied span wise (left to right) although the Wingnut
decals have it as for the wings (chord wise).
Fuselage - Length of the bolt of fabric applied chord wise (front to rear).

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline ktrembacz

• My instagram profile »
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »
Here's more information: [...]

What a research! Thank you very much for those informations. I really appreciate it and will definitely use this knowledge ::)
Follow me on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ktrembacz/

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 12:02:27 AM »
Beautiful work on the interior, Kamil!  Very nice weathering.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ktrembacz

• My instagram profile »
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 10:39:13 PM »
Beautiful work on the interior, Kamil!  Very nice weathering.
Thanks!

I've spent last 2 months making engine. I made several element from scratch. I also used Taurus Models spark plugs and springs. I'm satisfied with final effect but I know that it could be better. What do you think?

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 11:45:49 PM »
Well worth the time and effort, truly beautiful and a mini model onto itself.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 11:57:20 PM »
Magnificent work on the engine, truly outstanding. This is destined to be a real winner, the detailing is in it's own league!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 01:55:09 AM »
Hi Kamil,
Having completed my model, I know just how much effort and patience is needed to produce such an engine as you have.
Congratulations

Mike

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Ryan

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 01:59:26 AM »
This is beyond my skill level, splendid work.

Ryan
In Progress: 1/32 Albatross DV (Richthofen); 1/32 Morane Saulnier Type N; 1/32 Sopwith Pup
Upcoming: Not sure!

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 03:24:30 AM »
Sorry to be late to the party but......well what do I write! This is so realistic that I thought that I was looking at photographs of a modern replica being built! It was the tweezers which made me realise that it is a model!! 

Brilliant work.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 07:44:44 AM »
Gorgeous Engine!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline aliluke

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »
Stunning work - a beautiful engine. My only comment being that those exhaust pipes could be reamed out a little further? A tiny detail in a beautiful piece of modelling.

Cheers
Alistair
It ain't a hobby if you have to hurry.

Offline KevTheModeller

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 08:29:56 AM »
Your attention to detail is amazing, excellent work I'm watching with great interest.
Kev

Offline ktrembacz

• My instagram profile »
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for opinions!

Having completed my model, I know just how much effort and patience is needed to produce such an engine as you have.
Sure... As Wingnut, this model is quite demanding :)

It was the tweezers which made me realise that it is a model!!

;D

My only comment being that those exhaust pipes could be reamed out a little further?
You're right. They are a little too thick. I grinded it but not enough. I'll try to improve it but it'll very hard, becouse this pipes are delicate.

Hansa's interior is closed now. I'm working with putty and I'm preparing to painting wings and tailplane. Special thanks to sandbagger for references again!
A few pics from my workshop:

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
The engine and interior look stunning in place! Beautiful work all around.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline ktrembacz

• My instagram profile »
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 07:22:50 PM »
Slow progress... I had a problem with filling the fuselage but it's close to be done.

First fitting after surfacer:

And i started masking wings and stabilizers:

If you see sth wrong please tell me before it will be to late :D