Author Topic: Gaspatch Spandau 08/15 Fokker version  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Black Max 72

Gaspatch Spandau 08/15 Fokker version
« on: August 18, 2018, 08:59:29 PM »
Hi Gents
I've just received the new 1/48 Gaspatch Spandau machine guns fokker version, they are beautiful miniature works of art compared to the under scale lumps of plastic that eduard passes off as Spandaus. I am going to be using them on the Fokker DVII OAW Weekend Edition. Anyway, the question that I have is this. In all the reference pics I've looked at there are only two that  show the curved ejector shutes visible on the aircraft. One doesn't really count as it is devoid of fabric and the gun deck. The other is a modern colour photo of the DVII OAW displayed in the Imperial War Museum  (i think) and is possibly a replica (please correct me if incorrect) none of the WWI photos seem clear enough for me to see the shutes. I am also curious as how they appeared on the Dr1 as well. The photo of Richthofen's guns being held by the AFC officers in front of his wrecked Triplane clearly shows the ejector shutes. I imagine that they must be visible so as to eject the spent casings or is there some sort of internal drum to collect them that I'm missing. In that case why would Gaspatch include them? I'm hoping someone on the forum may have some references that may help. Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
Re: Gaspatch Spandau 08/15 Fokker version
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 09:36:55 PM »
Are you referring to the curved chutes on the left side of the gun? If so, they are for the empty belt.

Spent cartridges are ejected below the gun barrel

With disintegrating belts, the chute is redundant - the links fell overboard with the empty cartridges

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 10:12:22 PM »
Are you referring to the curved chutes on the left side of the gun? If so, they are for the empty belt.

Spent cartridges are ejected below the gun barrel

With disintegrating belts, the chute is redundant - the links fell overboard with the empty cartridges

Richard

No, it's the curved piece attached underneath the gun. I'll see if I can post the pictures to show what I mean. It connects to the point you mentioned and directs the spent cartridge to the left on the left gun and to the right on the right gun.

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:28:19 PM »
I may have answered my own question. After a bit more searching I've managed to stumble upon a few more pics. Enough anyway to give me an idea of how to fit the guns to the gun decking.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 03:11:54 AM »
Hah - I had underestimated Gaspatch! Those chutes are nice

I have built a 1:32 DR.I and D.VII, ISTR spending time looking for whatever was used to deflect spent shells and it seemed to vary from 'plane to 'plane

So, best bet is to check whatever your prototype had

Richard

Offline Black Max 72

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 07:41:15 AM »
Yeah, they certainly are nice. I've got two sets of the 1/32 Spandaus for my WNW Albatros DVa OAW and Fokker DVIIF. When I  got a 1/48 set for the Eduard Fokker DVIII/EV Weekend Edition the detail blew me away, though it became clear that I wasn't going to finish the kit in a weekend! I've had to make some extensive modifications to the gun deck of the EV to get the guns to sit right. I'm hoping I won't have to do as much for the DVII, Eduard seem to have been a bit more accurate on its gun deck. I was also planning on getting the new boxing of their Triplane and doing Richthofen's 425/17. I know from the photos of the guns off the wreck that they had the ejector shutes now I just need some reference pics of them mounted to a Dr1.

Dave Rickard
Rockhampton QLD

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 09:26:05 AM »
I have this: https://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/fokker-dri-jagdstaffeln-49-p.asp

which I found useful for building 470/17

Richard