Author Topic: Anybody know this Fokker D.VII? Jasta?  (Read 2924 times)

Offline GazzaS

Anybody know this Fokker D.VII? Jasta?
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:20:52 PM »
HI everyone,
    surfing the web came upon this image:  (for discussion only)

Does anyone know this plane?  Or can tell which Jasta be the tail?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Gaz
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline RAGIII

Re: Anybody know this Fokker D.VII? Jasta?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »
A new one to me. I don't have an answer but the DVII in the background looks to be Jasta 19. The way the aircraft are jumbled together makes me think this is a Post Armistice collection point with aircraft from several units.  An interesting scheme for sure. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will chime in. No real help but thought I would give my thoughts.

RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:16:43 PM »
I've been looking at Germanic heraldry and found references for three black diamonds in the 15th century.  These in turn are linked to colors in blue and yellow.  Of course, I could be totally off.

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:17:00 AM »
I've been looking at Germanic heraldry and found references for three black diamonds in the 15th century.  These in turn are linked to colors in blue and yellow.  Of course, I could be totally off.

Sounds plausible. With the film common at the time, it's possible the light stripes are blue and the dark are yellow
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 04:29:16 AM »

Sounds plausible. With the film common at the time, it's possible the light stripes are blue and the dark are yellow

I'd totally forgotten the orthochromatic film.  I was thinking the dark ones were blue.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Gaz

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:57:08 AM »

I'd totally forgotten the orthochromatic film.  I was thinking the dark ones were blue.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Gaz

It could be either way depending on film type and filters  :-\
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 05:08:35 AM »

RAGIII

The well know dilemma for any WWI modeller. Or win-win if you prefer, based on the 'prove me wrong' principle  ;D

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:21:45 AM »

RAGIII

The well know dilemma for any WWI modeller. Or win-win if you prefer, based on the 'prove me wrong' principle  ;D

Richard

I like the win/win principle!  When I first saw it, I was thinking may Saxon green and yellow with red diamonds.  Really, there's no way to tell if my heraldry research was even close to the pilot's thinking.  I coulda been from a quilt his granny knitted for him when he was a kid, and he just loved the design. 

Gaz

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 06:24:17 AM »

RAGIII

If only they had developed color film 40 years earlier!

Gaz

Offline TonyP

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 11:47:55 AM »
Actually, there are quite a few WWI autochrome photos online. Trouble is, it was a French process, so not many German scenes. And not many aircraft either.

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
Actually, there are quite a few WWI autochrome photos online. Trouble is, it was a French process, so not many German scenes. And not many aircraft either.

I remember the old profile books showing Albatros fighters with deep brown fuselages.  Those have all disappeared.  And recently I watched a bit of footage from an Albatros factory showing what appears to be deep, lustrous, dark, glossy, plywood fuselages.

Other than what I've learned about WWI photography here, my knowledge is pretty scant.

Gaz